louwil

Free Member
Dec 24, 2011
mansfield
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Can any one tell me can you stop over night in Tesco & Morrisons Car parks also can you fill your water tank

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i think you may find they have reg plate recognition and time limits.... at least ours does.

Can you imagine tesco giving anything for free!!!!!!!!!!:Eeek:

i only let the missess use a club card to get the free channel shuttle tickets..:ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We've stopped in lots of supermarket carparks, always the 24hour ones, never had a problem but we always arrive late and leave early.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i think you may find they have reg plate recognition and time limits.... at least ours does.

Can you imagine tesco giving anything for free!!!!!!!!!!:Eeek:

i only let the missess use a club card to get the free channel shuttle tickets..:ROFLMAO:
Tesco do, its a 2hr limit, but the 'fine' isn't enforcible......as far as i know Morrisons have no limit.

if its a large carpark and you tuck away in a corner you may get away with it, but its always worth asking for the store manager and asking for permission....they may say no, they may say yes.

Morrisons generally close at 10pm and reopen at 7am so you might be ok within those hours.

there is usually nowhere to fill your water and if, by chance, there is a tap it may not be potable water.

if 'homers start using the carparks on a large scale i can see height barriers being installed throughout which will cause problems when you need supplies.

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Have stayed in different supermarket car parks with no problem. Look at signs if they are close to town centre there will normally be a time limit during day time hours if the sign says ANPR move on.
I work for Sainsburys and I have never known of any motorhome being asked to move as Jim said arrive late and leave early, we get a number ofvans in our car park over night during the summer,

Rob

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Rob
we have just had new sainburys built in Hythe, i questioned about providing x1 bay for motorhome parking but never received reply. each time i call in i speak with customer services to ask about providing motorhome bay

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Just put a tethered horse, a dog and couple of polished milk churns outside.

Nobody will ever disturb you without having first gained an eviction order!::bigsmile:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
There was something on a forum a while ago where someone had contacted Tesco MD and he had replied that there was no company restriction to MH overnight parking but it was at the discretion of the local store manage. They would take a dim view if someone just parked up without asking.

Our local Tesco (former coop) is now open 06:00 to 24:00 and new signs and cameras have been installed on part of the car park just before christmas with ANPR. The car park gets very busy even into late evening.

John

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
See Here.

As mentioned on a previous thread, any policy of officially allowing overnighting would be a clear breach of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 so they ain't going to allow it officially.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
dealing with the ANPR cameras /fines

The ANPR readers or cameras.. in car parks allows the owners of the car park to obtain the registered details from DVLA of the parked camper / RV ... I am a retired lawyer as many know... I still keep my hand in and on a regular basis have dealt with this issue for a friend (some friend) who runs a high class chauffeur business with latest Mercs £70k worth... he does not like door dings so he parks often over a couple bays.. the latest one we had was at heathrow and he had a penalty ticket / charge of £200 sent to him... my advise was ignore it... various letters of demand and threats, debt /bill collection agencies then sent him threats and letters.. ignore them I said.. after 6 months it died a death... the last couple of letters indicated court action. I then advised a letter back saying he was going to defend the action... another letter saying he could pay the excess charge.. he answered he would defend the matter .. very short letters.. they just went away in the end.

While the car parks give you a licence to be on there land, as you give one to the postman that is all it is.. a licence.... if you do not comply with the licence they can have you evicted.. hence the travellers never get penalty notices they just want them moved on. But there is good a dice about how to park if you need to in a car park over night. But it is very very hard or near impossible to enforce any charges they think they can get from you.

Industrial estates are often better places for an overnight or a 24 hour store.. but if you look about there is always somewhere to stop out of the way that is safe... safe being the main word.

Bob

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]he does not like door dings so he parks often over a couple bays[/HI]

No criticism of you, Bob, but isn't this sort of selfish behaviour (which often causes problems for others wanting to park in a busy car park) precisely the sort of thing that the car park owners are, legitimately, trying to prevent?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Another New Parking Restriction?

Arsenal Never Properly Ready?

Anadin's New Pain Reliever?

JJ

automatic number plate recognition... Wake up JJ

Last edited:

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Rob
we have just had new sainburys built in Hythe, i questioned about providing x1 bay for motorhome parking but never received reply. each time i call in i speak with customer services to ask about providing motorhome bay

I only know of 1 store that has m/home parking which I think is Dawlish. with signs saying no over night sleeping

When ever I park up it is on the far side of the car park out of the way. I have Emailed Tesco and Sainsbury's in the past and Tesco have said it is down to each manager to decide and ask when you arrive and Sainsburys answer is they do not own all the car parks so they can not give answer. My belief is that sainsburys are afraid of any legal issues that may arise.

Rob

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Why would anyone want to spend all that money on a campervan to sleep in a supermarket carpark

if i wanted to sleep in a supermarket carpark id buy a caravan:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Why would anyone want to spend all that money on a campervan to sleep in a supermarket carpark

Its precisely the fact they have spent all that money that they can't afford to spend the night anywhere else!::bigsmile:

Anyway, where's your sense of adventure?:roflmto:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007

Alan,
If I am arriving at 10.00pm and leaving at 6.00pm I will have my blinds down, my curtains closed and my eyes shut for 90% of the time, who cares what the view is like outside. Also it is easier to get "fresh" bread and milk when you are parked on the doorstep.

Norman

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I could not agree more

No criticism of you, Bob, but isn't this sort of selfish behaviour (which often causes problems for others wanting to park in a busy car park) precisely the sort of thing that the car park owners are, legitimately, trying to prevent?

I could not agree more with you. I was just trying to point out that private car parks make a lot of noise with there signs but they are not easy to enforce.. but then clamping often gets over the issue. But the letters from these car park companies are intended to intimidate people and that I do not support.

In the USA Wal-Mart and K Mart and Target all welcome RV's to over night on the basis that the person parking will shop with them.

Most large store car parks are best part empty at night so does not really cause an issue... but I do accept your views on this.

The worse offenders are the motorway car parks that demand £20 plus fees if you overnight. I have been known to stop at South Mimms on the M25 on the way home to have a cup of tea before I head round to Kent and have had the car park attendant jump on me within minutes of stopping. They are making money off the back of drivers that take a break... note I did not say stay over night in a motor home.

The issue I related was about someone who took up more than the one bay in the airport car park (Heathrow terminal 3) .. he had paid to park and know how paranoid he is about damage to his Merc he packed in the most empty part of a car park but was still chased for money despite paying for a ticket to park and exit... Was he wrong? I suspect he was, but I must admit I have done it in my car (to use my wheelchair when the hatched areas all taken) or to be able to swing my RV out of the parking area... these days with the trailer I am 45' long and I find it hard to get in any caravan parking area and if I go in the truck area I can expect a letter trying to get money out of me.

The only place recently I have seen parking for motor homes is the terminal at the Euro Tunnel in France on the way back... real camper spaces... even the Folkstone euro tunnel does not have that and I have to go in the coach parking area.

But again I do not condone it.. just can understand the issues.

Bob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In the USA Wal-Mart and K Mart and Target all welcome RV's to over night on the basis that the person parking will shop with them.

Bob

From Walmart corporate site

Question
Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?
Answer
While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Most large store car parks are best part empty at night so does not really cause an issue... but I do accept your views on this.

Bob

I certainly appreciate that, Bob, but I think the main difference is that we have the 1960 Act and the USA does not. In my contacts with supermarkets they have expressed the same sort of welcome for motorhome owners shopping with them.

I also appreciate your point about the style of the letters sent out but, at the same time, can understand that car park owners are sometimes between a rock and a hard place. They provide the parking facilities to encourage/enable people to shop with them and both businesses and customers suffer when spaces are taken up by others (especially long term commuter parking, which I've seen locally on a number of occasions). They have very little option when abuse does occur.

OP
OP
L

louwil

Free Member
Dec 24, 2011
mansfield
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Can I can anybody

W:thumb:Well thanks every body I do really appreciate your comments I don,t know if we will ever use a super store car park but if needs must :Blush:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Sorry no one has responded to your post. I know how it feels, but- I dont think that I would relish the thought overnighting on super market car park. From what I have seen they seem to attrackt the local dead heads after dark.
Pudeykeith

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
And yet in France many supermarkets set aside an area for motorhomes to overnight. We stayed on one which had a bourne for emptying and filling our tanks. There was a laundrette on site and of course all the facilities of the supermarket including a full petrol service station with petrol, diesel, gas bottle replacements, almost anything you could ask for. By mornng there must have been 40-50 motorhomes that had overnighted and guess where they all went shopping when the supermarket opened in the morning? We bought enough stuff to stock the van and of course freshly baked baguettes, lovely. They're not daft the French
Wyn

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
And yet in France many supermarkets set aside an area for motorhomes to overnight. We stayed on one which had a bourne for emptying and filling our tanks. There was a laundrette on site and of course all the facilities of the supermarket including a full petrol service station with petrol, diesel, gas bottle replacements, almost anything you could ask for. By mornng there must have been 40-50 motorhomes that had overnighted and guess where they all went shopping when the supermarket opened in the morning? We bought enough stuff to stock the van and of course freshly baked baguettes, lovely. They're not daft the French
Wyn

Just as with the USA, the main difference is that we have the 1960 Act and France does not.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Sorry no one has responded to your post. I know how it feels, but- I dont think that I would relish the thought overnighting on super market car park. From what I have seen they seem to attrackt the local dead heads after dark.
Pudeykeith

I think this is a reply to another thread where people did reply!

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
I think this opens up a whole can of worms because of the paranoia over travellers and the fact that motor homes and camper vans are included in the definition of "caravan". Most companies and organisations are reluctant to give official approval to for overnight parking because of the 1960 act and the resulting threat of a fine.

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
What is the 1960 Act? Only the general idea.
Gary

Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the of use of land as caravan site without site licence subject to a fine to the land occupier of the land for permitting the land to be used as a caravan site.

"the expression “caravan site” means land on which a caravan is stationed for the purposes of human habitation and land which is used in conjunction with land on which a caravan is so stationed."

"caravan means any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another (whether by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer) and any motor vehicle so designed or adapted, but does not include—
(a)any railway rolling stock which is for the time being on rails forming part of a railway system, or
(b)any tent;"

:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back