Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Advice please, I have used the search facility on this site, which is good but in some cases too good. I read 8 pages on re-mapping and it gave me some good insight especially re advising the insurance company. But to those of you that had the re map, does it give you extra power and extra MPG.
I guess you can get differrent re maps. But again to those that have a standard wow re map has it given a 15 to 35% increase in power 8% + improved MPG?

Personally I have 2Ltr fiat turbo (no Intercooler, I think) 2005 and it is slow, not too worried about being slow but I am getting fed up of being over-taken by tractors on hills.

Thanks in advance

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I have a 2.2 litre diesel Autocruise Starfire and I had a WoW remap last year at the Shepton Show - and I was impressed then and am even more impressed as time goes on!

Where I had to drop into 2nd gear to go up some hills, I can now nearly always cruise up in top - or drop to 4th gear at most!

Where I used to cruise at 60mph at about 2500rpm, I now frequently cruise at 60mph at around 2000rpm.

My (pre-WoW) miles per gallon reading was initially around 28 and is still around 28mpg - however I now regularly tow a 2 ton trailer loaded with Mo's Mobility Scooter and my Show exhibitors tent and stock etc., etc., etc.

I am personally well pleased and thoroughly recommend them. :thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have a 2.2 litre diesel Autocruise Starfire and I had a WoW remap last year at the Shepton Show - and I was impressed then and am even more impressed as time goes on!

Where I had to drop into 2nd gear to go up some hills, I can now nearly always cruise up in top - or drop to 4th gear at most!

Where I used to cruise at 60mph at about 2500rpm, I now frequently cruise at 60mph at around 2000rpm.

My (pre-WoW) miles per gallon reading was initially around 28 and is still around 28mpg - however I now regularly tow a 2 ton trailer loaded with Mo's Mobility Scooter and my Show exhibitors tent and stock etc., etc., etc.

I don't want to get into an argument about this Dick, but the law of physics say it just aint possible.

a set speed at set revs....60mph @ 2500rpm...a mechanical linkage cannot change, unless you found another higher gear, raised the overall gear ratio or fitted larger tyres.

tuning an engine will not make it rev less at the same speed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
nice on pappa.
i can say you are right . we used to put 1800cc gti engines into vw vans that originally had the flat four wsser boxer they revved to 4600 the gti revved to 5700. the top end was incredible up from 85- to well over the ton. got better brakes feel as well as the vacum to the servo was greater . people always think bigger engine makes you go faster but higher revs is what you need.
once put a diesel in a v8 range rover . went ever where flat out at 45mph. screaming its guts out.

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

Where I used to cruise at [HI]60mph at about 2500rpm, I now frequently cruise at 60mph at around 2000rpm.[/HI]

I don't mean to prick your balloon but that isn't possible unless you somehow changed your gearbox or final drive ratio at the same time as the re map.

Sorry just read Pappajohn.....Griff

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

Are you sure you are using the same gears....:Eeek:

WOW remap may change the power, but did they change your gear box too?

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
There are lots of posts on here which praise the response and effects of WOW tuning (remap).

Just search and make your mind up....

Upvote 0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
One thing I will say is your clutch is designed to work with the amount of power you have I have read of the clutch slipping when under power on some vans after upgrades thats not a small fronted van for a 2 litre engine

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I had my 2-0 done years ago when it was just too underpowered for the job. It made it go like a rocket but fuel was increased due to me driving it like I stole it... I had my current one one one last week my eighth vehicle I have had remapped, I have never had any issues with clutch or any other problem . Mine was done by wow :thumb:

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I had my 2005 2.0JTD remapped and it transformed the vehicle. Take all the claims about economy with a pinch of salt though, same as all the "burn the clutch out" stories. These vehicles are designed to be abused within an inch of their lives by builders. Insurance company simply noted it and no premium increase.

Upvote 0

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +

a set speed at set revs....60mph @ 2500rpm...a mechanical linkage cannot change, unless you found another higher gear, raised the overall gear ratio or fitted larger tyres.

Who's talking about using a gearbox - I am talking about free-wheeling downhill with a following wind! :Doh:

I am still getting used to a manual 'box' after 7 years of bliss with a 36ft RV doing all the work. :RollEyes:

Anyway, as much as I accept what you guys are saying - I still say that my engine is running quieter, smoother and 'apparently' at lower revs than it was before the remap. I am pretty sure that I am changing gear at lower revs to stay within the legal town speed limits - I can't say for certain because I usually change gear according to the engine note rather than the speedo reading. :thumb:

Dick

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back