Failure to renew licence photo could result in £1k fine (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Drivers who fail to update the photograph on their drivers licence could be hit with a maximum fine of £1,000 as photos on the new style licences must be renewed every 10 years by law, however a study by a car insurance provider has found there is widespread uncertainty amongst drivers with regard to this condition.

Sainsbury’s Car Insurance discovered the high penalty for not having an updated photograph on a UK driving licence following a request made through the Freedom of Information Act. It’s reported that 1.6 million drivers could be at risk of receiving the fine at this time, while by the end of 2012, a further 2.9 million licences will be in need of renewal in order to fully abide by the licensing laws.

The DVLA charge £20 to have the photograph updated on each drivers licence however Sainsbury’s Car Insurance found that as many as 41% of UK drivers are now aware of the repercussions of not having an updated image on their licence after 10 years which means that millions of drivers could be putting themselves at risk of receiving the hefty fine.

Those with the old style paper drivers licences will be unaffected by the law, only those with the photograph licences which came into being in 1998 will need to ensure their photographs are updated every 10 years in order to avoid the £1,000 which can be enforced by the police under Section 99 of the Road Traffic act 1988.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...0?CID=Motoring&PLA=url_mon&CRE=renew_my_photo

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its worse, technically the licence is expired Try telling a French copper "It's OK, I know it says expired but I still have an entitlement to drive it's only the photo out of date" How long before an insurer says "You didn't have a licence to drive"

4b = Licence Valid to..

Make sure you renew:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
here we have a real problem that folk of all ages cant read or cant be bothered to read the information on their licences .
just like all the lame excusses about small print . they are just too lazy.
this is typical of our nation, too lazy .blame someone else.
lets hope 2012 brings a rude awakening to the majority in the uk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Had to do mine last year

I had to do mine last year. DVLA sent me a reminder. took a few weeks as mine had to go to the disability section (even for a photo update)...

But as Jim has said an out of date photo means no driving licence... no driving licence means the insurance is not valid as it is a term and condition of any insurance that the driver must have a licence in force to drive.

As said try explaining that to the French plod or Spanish ...

Bob:cry:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I think the whole set-up on driving license photographs is crazy.

I my own case, I had to renew my photo as it was 10years old, but I was able to renew it with them (DVLA) using a copy of my 5 year old passport, so eventually the driving license photo is going to be 15 years old.

Its just another form of tax, or if you prefer a RIP-OFF.

Doug...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ha ha, just checked a collegue and his is the same, 2007 to 2017 and he didn't renew in 2007?

Mines from 07 but must renew this Dec Maybe all the lead-in dates were different.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
start dates etc can be different if you have hgv etc and renew your licenc after 5 yrs . or if there is a delay issuing a new one . it can start from their receipt of the photo.
it also can be that dvla are doing their incompetant unfit for purpose mode. hee hee.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
They are welcome to fine me, I havent renewed my photo and am not driving

Presumably they will just send out blanket fine letters like they do with everything else

That will be an interesting one for the courts.

If I am not driving I dont think I need to validate my licence with a new photo.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I have already renewed mine start of last year, but i was really displeased that it cost £20, when they brought it in originally they said it would be a nominal fee around £10 to renew the photo element.....so what happened there then .....not happy at twice the quoted price when the time came to do it. Whats it going to cost next time... this tax that tax plus inflation probably at least £40

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Old Mo just scrapes the moss off his stone one, the pic has remained the same...

MUNCHIE is on the right, with his 'elevation'..

Link Removed

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
i renewed it on line a few months back. I had only just renewed my passport and they allow you to just use that picture . This only applies( I think) if you have renewed your passport in the last 12 months otherwise you have to supply a new photo.

It was still a real pain because the DVLA site kept crashing.

Its also a pain because you need your passport, two parts of your driving licence and national insurance number.

I recall that the final question (out of about 20) was the tiny code on the rear of your driving licence photo card. It about 12 digits and absolutely tiny.

I couldnt find my glasses and thought I was going to get timed out.

Luckily I grabbed my i phone, took a piccy of the card and then blew the picture up to reveal the code:thumb:

Be warned though it is painful.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As above...... Though I didn't have any issues with crashing (our interweb is so slow it never gets that far) - apart from the tiny number, you also have to note the address for return of the old licence as it only appears once. Really useful doing it all on line, though. I had only just renewed my passport as it was full so they used that digi photo

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
here we have a real problem that folk of all ages cant read or cant be bothered to read the information on their licences .
just like all the lame excusses about small print . they are just too lazy.
this is typical of our nation, too lazy .blame someone else.
lets hope 2012 brings a rude awakening to the majority in the uk.

I was always taught that it is the responsibility of the person who is trying to
communicate a message to get their message across.
The instigator being responsible to make sure the message gets through not the receiver.

Rather than blaming the public who are bombarded with information all day every day.. from all directions.I would blame those that say...this is so important..we do our best to hide it in a place where a huge proportion of the population have no idea it even exists....and then we reserve the right to fine you huge ammounts of money !

I blame those responsible for hiding away key information rather than promoting it and failing to remind people that their licences require a new photograph...if that is so important.

Another example of public servants not understanding their proper role in society.

barry

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
I updated my license when I re-married in 2004.

4a 19 - 01 - 07 4b 18 - 01 - 17.

I am confused (chemo-brain kicking in)

June

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I still have a paper license.

I didn't bother getting photo license, so my mine is valid until I reach the age of 70

And the way time is flying could very well be next week:roflmto:
:thumb::thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Haha. I need to renew my licence every 3 years due to medical reasons. This is free though.

This time I also needed a new photo. But still free!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi beach caster. new licences very often come with a booklet . you also can get a booklet to help you apply for a licence. its best to check its correct when it arrives . its quite easy to read all details on the licence . we cant be hand held all our lives ,we do have some personal responsibiliy .
try to get booklets d100, inf5d, ins57p,ins101
possibly inf2d if hgv /psv .
how much information do you need. post offices ,dvla offices have heaps of them.
for most a guide to filling in the form or even getting the form checked is a service offered.
if you cant read the writting on your old photo licence then possibly not driving is an option.
we can blame dvla sometimes but very often its the person that is at fault.
its commonly made out its youngsters that cant read ,as a helper in a disabled motorists club i know the inability to read and tak in facts is a problem of all ages the older ones possibly the most . over 50,s specially, they dont seem to be able to manage simple forms .
always read your licences ,make sure its correct . many have lost classes to drive and havent noticed it for years , the m,cycle one is a favourite.

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
I think the whole set-up on driving license photographs is crazy.

I my own case, I had to renew my photo as it was 10years old, but I was able to renew it with them (DVLA) using a copy of my 5 year old passport, so eventually the driving license photo is going to be 15 years old.

Its just another form of tax, or if you prefer a RIP-OFF.

Doug...

I so agree..in fact im gonna use big letters to show I agree more than I just said....I totally agree....hmm still dont feel Ive agreed enuff....one sec...........I really really agree....ahh that feels better...

being a libra I always see both sides however and I would ask you to spare a thought for those poor people down there who need our taxes so they can claim for their moat repairs

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Just done mine online today, if you have renewed your passport within the last 5 years they will use that photo,
Does this mean if you had just renewed passport 5yrs ago then driving licence needs renewing every 10yrs does that mean you could end up with a picture they have of you on file that is 15yrs old by the time it needs renewing again, quite defeats the object me thinks :Angry:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Oops yes us too, ours ran out in 2010 so off it`s gone in the post with the chequie:Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I am currently having a proper mare with the DVLA, which is a little confusing. They have had my license since the first week of november for renewal (HGV medical) and to increase my entitlement, this seems to cause them all sorts of problems, and to complain, you have to WRITE to one person.
This is confusing because, MANY local offices that carry out some of Swansea's work, like issueing personal plates, changing vehicle details etc, are to close and the work going to swansea. If you think that it is a problem having an out of date photo on your license,..it may become more of a problem when they do away with the paper part of the license, which is imminent!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
anyone reading this thread and thinking, like me, i must renew mine then read on......

always make a copy of your licence BEFORE you send it in for renewal or you may find you are missing some class entitlements when you receive the new one.

doesn't happen often, but may take some sorting if it does happen.

i'll get round to mine one day...it 'expired' nearly two years ago now.

£1000 is the maximum fine allowed by law and you can also be fined £1000 for many other motoring offences.......no MOT, speeding, careless cycling, using a mobile.

DIRECT.GOV PENALTIES

but you will need to be related to Roadrunner (john) and have his luck to be fined the maximum......

the max for dropping litter is £2500 yet the average fine is just £100.
the maximum for no MOT is £1000 but the average is around £75.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi daklord .i had problems the years before last . i rang 0300 790 6807 should be the driver medical group. mine was a licence renewal .mine went off in oct 2010. at one time they revoked my licence fully . but it shouldnt have been the upto 7.5ton part . i rang a further swansea number and the deputy prime minister got my up to7.5ton part back 2 hours later. when i came back in april i started it again. it took to the 25 06 2011 to get it all back . never actually did see the medical board . so dont worry you should be able to get written comfermation you have applied . its a cover note . it maynot cover continental use . if you do keep getting problems use their customer charter as a threat. try and get leaflet ins101. or pm me . or try 01792 766416 that should get customer service manager. dvla swansea. another number is 08702401651.
give em hell but stay calm.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
:Eeek:Thanks for that, if it doe'nt turn up by friday, i'll start phoning again. papajohn is right, you need to check all these docs, here's just SOME of the cock ups that happened to me or i noticed;

Entitlements missing off license when it came back.

Dickhead at DVLA tried to insist I had TWO medicals, one for HGV one for PSV, both at the same time:Eeek:

Plate on MH had wrong info on it.

Insurance had got ONE digit wrong on my reg No, causing plod to think I had NO insurance, could have been tricky, but right copper on the right day sorted it.

Wrong info on landrover log book, they had it first manuf 1980, I proved it manuf in 1978, increased the value slightly, but also aligned info on chassis/No plate/V5.

The onus is on people to do their jobs properly, but also on you to check paperwork you receive, the consequences can be dire.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I updated my license when I re-married in 2004.

4a 19 - 01 - 07 4b 18 - 01 - 17.

I am confused (chemo-brain kicking in)

June

Hi June,
Dont worry about it, it's far more simple than is being indicated on here.
On 18 Jan 2017, (the date indicated at 4b), your photo is out of date for driving licence purposes.
If you haven't renewed your licence photo by then, your licence document (card) will be invalid.
Plenty of time to renew yours.
Dont worry about links to your passport photo etc. This just clouds the issue, making a simple issue seem complex.

The fact that a photo as ID has a time scale isnt a new concept, nor is it something the DfT have sneaked in on us.
The photo validity cycle was made clear at the time the photo cards came into being.

Folk have been told about it, but like many other issues, they just didnt listen because it didnt suit them to do so at the time.
How familiar is that?

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
anyone reading this thread and thinking, like me, i must renew mine then read on......

always make a copy of your licence BEFORE you send it in for renewal or you may find you are missing some class entitlements when you receive the new one.

doesn't happen often, but may take some sorting if it does happen.

i'll get round to mine one day...it 'expired' nearly two years ago now.

£1000 is the maximum fine allowed by law and you can also be fined £1000 for many other motoring offences.......no MOT, speeding, careless cycling, using a mobile.

DIRECT.GOV PENALTIES

but you will need to be related to Roadrunner (john) and have his luck to be fined the maximum......

the max for dropping litter is £2500 yet the average fine is just £100.
the maximum for no MOT is £1000 but the average is around £75.

Blimey, I think I will stick to mugging old ladies, you only get a slapped wrist for that.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back