LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
That first line states "more than 10 years old" BUT be aware it's not always the case.
Our Autotrail is 2005 BUT as it's rated over 3500kg it doesn't comply !!!!!!

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Tonka

I wish that they would add that into their publicity. I have just stored out Motorhome as its over 3.5 and its a 2004.

How many unsuspecting people will think that their van is ok as its a later model than 2002 but wont realise that it needs to be a late 2006 model if its heavier than 3.5

Makes my blood boil.

Sonja

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
If you plug your reg in, it tells you if your motor is compliant, worked for me. I would have though that the database has all the info on your motor, ie weight etc, if not , it should have.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If you plug your reg in, it tells you if your motor is compliant, worked for me. I would have though that the database has all the info on your motor, ie weight etc, if not , it should have.

I tried this last year and it did not recognise the reg, even when it was 6 years old !.
Just tried again and now it's working, guess they have upgraded the database at last..

Here is the checking webpage if anyone needs it..
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/17700.aspx#container

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
There was a short item on bbc news tonight including a home moving business that may have to close because none of its vehicles are complaint

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16383559

Has anyone heard any more as it is very quiet in the news :whatthe::whatthe:

Well it always has been outside London, most non-Londoners know nothing about it. Have just got the flyer for the motorhome show at Excel in february, where there is camping on site. Bet a lot of unsuspecting provincials will get done if they come in their vans!

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999

I've posted about this before. I checked but the info they had against my reg. no. was incorrect, they had it down as 5000kg. By all means put in your reg. no. but if it comes back as non-compliant then you can check for an accurate assessment of your vehicles compliance by putting in the weight, year of manufacture and engine type. If the two don't tally, fill out an application form (available on line) to register your vehicle. You will have to submit a copy of the V5 and a photo of the weight plate.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it has been widely discussed in magazines

It has been widely discussed in motorhome magazines and in the news for what seems years and years as well as on this site and others.

People will moan, but they have had a long time to get ready for it.

Bit like the 1995 Disabled Discrimination Act.. now 12 years as law and people still think it does not apply to them or they claim ignorance of the law... same on the LEZ .. the UK is not the only place that does this.. Germany does as well.

Sorry to say, I think that old diesels and petrol (yes it applies to petrol as well) that are so dirty and pollute the country should be total banned and not pushed outside London.

Bob

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry to say, I think that old diesels and petrol (yes it applies to petrol as well) that are so dirty and pollute the country should be total banned and not pushed outside London.

Bob

I'd ban all engines over 6.7litres Totally unwarranted polution.:RollEyes: How big is your engine Bob? 6.8L? I reckon its about 4 litres too many::bigsmile:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I'd ban all engines over 6.7litres Totally unwarranted polution.:RollEyes: How big is your engine Bob? 5 litres too big I'd say
along with the petrol guzzling RV's that are useing the world's resorces at an alarming rate:Doh:who need's a 5 lt engine in a 24 ft motorhome/rv:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
ban them i say:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
along with the petrol guzzling RV's that are useing the world's resorces at an alarming rate:Doh:who need's a 5 lt engine in a 24 ft motorhome/rv:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think Bobs motorhome is 6.8L petrol A decent 2.8L would push it anywhere.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is a 6.8 lt V10 Chris

Chris it is a 6.8 ltr V10 Ford Triton engine...... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: and yes it is 24'9" long..or 45' with the trailer... 55mph at 1800 revs all day long and that is a petrol engine.... have a hell of a job to get it to register when they do the MOT..so clean.

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Jim's not been the same since he went German

I think Bobs motorhome is 6.8L petrol A decent 2.8L would push it anywhere.

Jim has not been the same since he went German... Have you forgotten so soon Jim the throbbing power in an RV.... but these days it is phut, phut and phut... bit like that's trikes in India :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: never mind Jim, you can always say you have converted.... what to I am not sure...yet?

Bob:winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim has not been the same since he went German... Have you forgotten so soon Jim the throbbing power in an RV.... but these days it is phut, phut and phut... bit like that's trikes in India :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: never mind Jim, you can always say you have converted.... what to I am not sure...yet?

Bob:winky:

No I have not forgotten that one of the many vans I've owned was a superb 8.1L V8 Which is why I wouldn't call for others to be banned, people might accuse me of pot/kettle calling::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It has been widely discussed in motorhome magazines and in the news for what seems years and years as well as on this site and others.

Bit like the 1995 Disabled Discrimination Act.. now 12 years as law and people still think it does not apply to them or they claim ignorance of the law... same on the LEZ .. the UK is not the only place that does this.. Germany does as well.

Bob
do you have documented proof of this Bob..... as far as I'm aware the LEZ only affects diesel engined vehicles and then not all diesels are included.
a land-rover 110 diesel utility is affected
a land-rover 110 diesel station wagon is not affected.

same year, same engine, same chassis, different body.

my 1999 6.8ltr petrol RV is fully compliant whereas my previous 2001 2.5ltr turbo diesel was not

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Arent we lucky our motor vehicles do not run on fresh air.

I am sure if someone was clever enough to invent such a fantastic engine that the government would soon start taxing us on that too.

I wonder whether they would also charge us per breath.

Our motorhome is sat within the LEZ and is non compliant and I can only presume that providing I do not drive out of the LEZ that I will be able to drive around quite happily all day every day without them noticing.

Interesting one!!! Perhaps companies with non compliant vehicles within the LEZ could buddy up with a company who owns compliant vehicles outside the lez. They could meet near the border and swap the stuff over without any fines or becoming complaint.

or have I missed something somewhere??????

OP
OP
Mavis

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
For the first offence you just get a warning letter so I would be tempted to try it and see what happens but then would you get a fine for the journey home :Doh:
It is so quiet nothing seems to be reported or talked about maybe there isnt any film in the camera's :winky:

OP
OP
Mavis

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp

Bob

Petrol is Ok its only Diesels http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/17700.aspx#tkt-tab-panel-1

Germany Runs it so much fairer and the fines are lighter --Its the Size of the fine that is horrific in London

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all,

As I understand the rules, (as Mavis pointed out), you initially get a warning letter informing you that your vehicle is "non compliant". You then have 28 days to become compliant. If after the 28 days, you are still not registered as being "compliant", you will be fined each for day, movement of your vehicle is detected within the LEZ, and for Rita and I, that would amount to £200 a day, eg, a stop over for one night at Abbey Wood CC site, would cost us the site fee, plus £400 in fines. :whatthe:

Still, it could be worse, ie, if Slobadoberbob was Mayor for London, our MH with a value of around £25,000 would end up being scrapped, as in his words,
I think that old diesels and petrol (yes it applies to petrol as well) that are so dirty and pollute the country should be total banned and not pushed outside London.
even though it is Euro 2 compliant, has low mileage, and has had a new engine in recent years. :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

God help us. :Doh:

Regards,

Jock.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I did question this sometime back

do you have documented proof of this Bob..... as far as I'm aware the LEZ only affects diesel engined vehicles and then not all diesels are included.
a land-rover 110 diesel utility is affected
a land-rover 110 diesel station wagon is not affected.

same year, same engine, same chassis, different body.

my 1999 6.8ltr petrol RV is fully compliant whereas my previous 2001 2.5ltr turbo diesel was not

I did question this sometime back John and was informed it applies to petrol engines as well, but as most petrol engines do not throw out the same amount of carbon or soot then it is unlikely to effect them, as 99% of commercials are now diesel.

I run my own RV through the system a while back and it came back as OK. Just seems to be the smelly, old soot throwing out vehicles they want out of the capital... it is a regret that includes motor homes as well as breakdown trucks and horse boxes. ...

But there was plenty of notice given and people have had time to deal with the issue, but as usual there are some that just ignored the law until it was at a point of having to pay a fine... then they are up in arms.... I would not say I would not be if in the same boat, however as I have a petrol vehicle with lower carbon emissions than most modern diesel van conversions I feel happy with the situation... the only problem I have is each time I go for an MOT I spend ages with my foot on the throttle trying to hold the rev's to get a readying .. it is so low they cannot get one. .. that is a modern V10 6.8 lt petrol engine for you.

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Yes .. called carbon and soot

Arent we lucky our motor vehicles do not run on fresh air.

I am sure if someone was clever enough to invent such a fantastic engine that the government would soon start taxing us on that too.

I wonder whether they would also charge us per breath.

Our motorhome is sat within the LEZ and is non compliant and I can only presume that providing I do not drive out of the LEZ that I will be able to drive around quite happily all day every day without them noticing.

Interesting one!!! Perhaps companies with non compliant vehicles within the LEZ could buddy up with a company who owns compliant vehicles outside the lez. They could meet near the border and swap the stuff over without any fines or becoming complaint.

or have I missed something somewhere??????

Yes it is called carbon and soot.. even if it was used within the LEZ it would still deposit the mess into the air... If you have ever been to LA in the USA you would know what I mean, hence they have such high controls now... I cannot say it would be like the pea soup fogs of the early 60's but the amount being discharged by older vehicles would not help anyone with breathing problems. ... it is a fact of life, regardless how well your vehicles body and in side may have lasted the engine will be very old and innefficiant and pollutant by todays standards

As time goes on I suspect all the country will have to meet these standards and it will become a test in it's own rights like the smog test in LA.

Bob

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Bob you burn many times the fuel to get the same distance as the smaller dirtier engines so to call for them to be banned on "green grounds" is a bit of a cheek :RollEyes:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It is nothing to do with Green Jim

Bob you burn many times the fuel to get the same distance as the smaller dirtier engines so to call for them to be banned on "green grounds" is a bit of a cheek :RollEyes:

Jim, it is not about being green... you live in a clean environment in Wales, fresh air.

I grew up in Walthamstow in the East end of London.... I can remember the pea soup fogs or the late 50's and early 60's (not all generated by cars I accept)... the coal burning fire places contributed to the smogs as did the old petrol engines in those days (few real diesels about)... Things had to change and it did with the clean air act.

The progression of the process of cleaning up London was the LEZ... I have no way to value the NHS budget on breathing related illnesses but I am sure it eats a large part of the NHS budget each year.

As I have siad Jim, in other parts of the thread.. my V10 is cleaner than most modern diesels .. including yours. They have a hard job to get a reading on the modern V10 Ford Tritions... I burn more fuel than you do.. and I pay for that in tax. So what is the difference in my fuel tax on petrol and what someone in the London Boroughs has to pay if there motorhome has an engine that chucks out carbon and soot? How does that also stack up against LPG vehicles?

One of my cars... a Smart 4/2 is on £30 a year road tax as it is a low carbon engine...many modern petrol engines are rated at zero. You can argue until the cows come home on this Jim... But there is green and green... I just fighting the corner of those that have trouble breathing. Old sooty diesels regardless of what someone thinks they are worth just cannot justify the health issues.

Like you I live now in an area where there is clean air.. not always the case Jim.:thumb:

Anyway, it would not be a debate if I did not put another point of view forward. I am not asking for anyone to agree with me.. just my point of view..take it or leave it as you all wish. If you want to argue a different corner, always happy to respond. :Sad:

Bob:Eeek:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
if i was to lock myself in a confined space with a big v10 engine running i would die alot faster than i would with a 2.500cc diesel running.:Eeek:
it all about volume of poison:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You machine is not green at all. It's a 24ft 6.8L underpowered, under torqued monster, it burns but does not deliver. On longer trips, which motorhomes tend to do, with everything warmed up, I'm sure a modern diesel will be polluting a LOT less per mile than you.::bigsmile:

Jim, it is not about being green... you live in a clean environment in Wales, fresh air.

I grew up in Walthamstow in the East end of London.... I can remember the pea soup fogs or the late 50's and early 60's (not all generated by cars I accept)... the coal burning fire places contributed to the smogs as did the old petrol engines in those days (few real diesels about)... Things had to change and it did with the clean air act.

The progression of the process of cleaning up London was the LEZ... I have no way to value the NHS budget on breathing related illnesses but I am sure it eats a large part of the NHS budget each year.

As I have siad Jim, in other parts of the thread.. my V10 is cleaner than most modern diesels .. including yours. They have a hard job to get a reading on the modern V10 Ford Tritions... I burn more fuel than you do.. and I pay for that in tax. So what is the difference in my fuel tax on petrol and what someone in the London Boroughs has to pay if there motorhome has an engine that chucks out carbon and soot? How does that also stack up against LPG vehicles?

One of my cars... a Smart 4/2 is on £30 a year road tax as it is a low carbon engine...many modern petrol engines are rated at zero. You can argue until the cows come home on this Jim... But there is green and green... I just fighting the corner of those that have trouble breathing. Old sooty diesels regardless of what someone thinks they are worth just cannot justify the health issues.

Like you I live now in an area where there is clean air.. not always the case Jim.:thumb:

Anyway, it would not be a debate if I did not put another point of view forward. I am not asking for anyone to agree with me.. just my point of view..take it or leave it as you all wish. If you want to argue a different corner, always happy to respond. :Sad:

Bob:Eeek:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
if i was to lock myself in a confined space with a big v10 engine running i would die alot faster than i would with a 2.500cc diesel running.:Eeek:
it all about volume of poison:thumb:

Plenty of people would like to see the results of that experiment.:Smile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I feel for those that live/choose to live in London with regard to this. Have to say its not a place i would choose to visit now (had enough when i had to go there with company employees) but i checked my pickup truck a 2.5d out of curiosity and it is compliant with LEZ as of jan 2012 so i take it that if diverted into a lez area for any reason when on a run to Dover my 5.5ton outfit would not be fined.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back