Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
Hi dont know anything about the subjet so looking for advice, i was recently in Spain and got chatting to a couple in a motorhome who were touring for the winter. They advised solar panels as a must have.

We plan on setting off into Europe in April and researching the solar panel subject seems pretty complicated, so can anyone advise what size panels for a 4 berth 2 occupants our water heater & cooker runs off gas only so only looking at lighting, laptop phones & maybe a 12v TV.

next question is where in the northwest can i get one fitted.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
80W plus a pair of 110 amp/hr batteries good, 120W even better. it really depends on thwe amount of amp/hrs of battery power you use TV/laptop etc. Also how often you move on if you sit in one place for weeks then 120 would suit you better or even a pair of 80W. You cannot have too much.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
What you need relates more to time of year that you will need it. An 80w should be plenty in the summer but in the winter especially running blown air heating you might need 400w+ as the low sun produces much less energy.

Invariably whatever you do will be a compromise as 400+w in the summer will produce over 30A in ideal conditions and getting a regulator over 30A is not easy or cheap. Their is also the question of weight which will be in the region of 10-15kg per 100w.

For use outside the winter period then it is great, and once you've forked out the initial cost the energy is free::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
One thing often overlooked is just exactly what spaces you have that are suitable on your roof.
This is both by dimensions and clear of sliding hekis or aerials etc that may cast a shadow

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi dont know anything about the subjet so looking for advice, i was recently in Spain and got chatting to a couple in a motorhome who were touring for the winter. They advised solar panels as a must have.

We plan on setting off into Europe in April and researching the solar panel subject seems pretty complicated, so can anyone advise what size panels for a 4 berth 2 occupants our water heater & cooker runs off gas only so only looking at lighting, laptop phones & maybe a 12v TV.

next question is where in the northwest can i get one fitted.

Presumably you managed before you got chatting .. ?

Are you now planning on a lot of off site camping with stays of longer than a couple of nights .. ?

If not then I see no need.. In three years full time touring I never had them and never found I needed them.. but then again I prefer aires and sites with EHU and when free camping only every stopped for one night.

For emergencies I carried a 2kw Honda genny .. but if truth be told it was hardly ever used.. so I sold it..

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Lot of good info on this site:-

Link Removed

If your confident enough buy a kit and fit it yourself you'll find motorhome kits on the website. There are cheaper kits on Ebay but perhaps not as efficient as Kyocera panels.

He fitted our panel and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending him. He has an arrangement with the Caravan camping site at Bellingham, Northumberland (Keilder Forest area) so you could have a holiday in this lovely area and have it fitted on site.

We often rally off ehu, have 2 x 110ah leisure batteries run a tv, sat system and lighting without worrying about battery charge levels as well as phone and computer charging.

I did post on a forum asking much the same as you prior to having ours fitted, one poster told me to buy the biggest panel I could afford/would fit in the available space and I took that onboard fitting a 135w unit and I've no regrets.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I try to promote diy with pictures. I've posted this info on a number of forums.
You can take or leave as much of it as you like as there are more ways to skin a cat.

For this task
You'll need some aluminium angle 60mm x 40mm x 3mm x 1 metre or equivalent
set square
hacksaw
file
drill
tape measure
pencil
rivet gun
4mm rivets
4mm hss drill bit
5mm tap
5mm set screws

This is the third set of brackets I've made so far. I've used 60mmx40mmx3mm angle as I came by it handy like :lol:
A metre length of this stuff or similar can usually be bought for under a tenner, Ebay is good for this but plus P&P
Closest I've found is 2.5"x1.5"x1/8" x1M for about £14 delivered.
Previously I've fitted 60 watt and 80 watt panels which require 4 brackets each and so only 1 set screw needed for each one. In this instance I've made brackets for 2 x 30 watt panels that will only require 1 bracket at each end and so I've fitted 2 set screws to keep them level. These are 5mm and I used a 4mm hss drill bit followed by a 5mm tap both driven through using a battery drill. You can use anything similar to achieve this or just a spacer.
Sikaflex 512 adhesive requires a MINIMUM thickness of 2mm and the set screws guarantee this will be acheived. I use the thickness of the brackets 3mm as in picture 3 to guage this.
These particular brackets are 200mm long and the panel ends (to be illustrated next) are 445 mm wide.
Panel-brackets-2-M.jpg

Panel-brackets-1-M.jpg

Panel-brackets-3-M.jpg

Attaching to the panels to follow...........

These brackets are being used on 2x30watt panels. The reason for using this configuration rather than a 60 watt is purely due to space constraints.
These measure only 445 wide by 540 long so will fit in the narrow stip between the sun roof and the van edge.
pic 1 a bracket drilled and riveted to a panel end. I use rivets because they wont come undone but can be easily drilled out should a panel need replacing.
bracket-riveted-M.jpg

pic 2 panels laid out simulating how they will be on the roof
2x30watt-panels-XL.jpg

pic 3 male & female branch connectors to couple the 2 panels in parallel ready to go to regulator or another panel
MF-branch-connectors-M.jpg

USING MC4 CONNECTORS
MC4-1-L.jpg

MC4-2-L.jpg

MC4-3-L.jpg

MC4-4-L.jpg

MC4-5-L.jpg

You will need these plus Sikaflex adhesive (512) and cartridge gun
You-will-need-L.jpg

Position panels and mark the footprints of the brackets
Position-panels-and-mark-L.jpg

Clean the areas and underside of brackets with Sikaflex 205 cleaner primer
Clean-footprints-and-underside-L.jpg

Adjust set screws to give a MINIMUM of 2mm spacing I prefer 3 to 4mm
Turn-set-screws-to-give-L.jpg

Apply plenty of adhesive
Apply-a-good-thickness-of-L.jpg

Position panels and press down firmly
Put-panel-in-position-and-L.jpg

Clean off excess and smooth off
Smooth-off-adhesive-L.jpg

Leave overnight to set
Leave-overnight-to-set-L.jpg

Autotrail Grand Frontier
Link Removed
Link Removed
Ace Genova
Link Removed
Multiple entry box used to facilitate rear view camera cable at a later date or a satellite dish
Link Removed

Don't be defeated by cheap rubbish cartridge guns like sold at B&Q etc! I had one break on me and caused real inconvenience.
I recommend this (no connection with me) just the best
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=110781338616

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Can I ask why people use the crimp on MC4 connectors when as against soldering the cables and then sealing them? I have never liked putting connectors on which could oxidise over time.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They are a purpose made outdoor weather proof connector so should not oxidise.
No one says you cant do it your way.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
First question that we ask is " Will you have hook up most of the time" If the answer is "Yes" Then you don't need panels.

Next question is "if there is no hook up would you stay more than a couple of days in one spot? if the answer is "No" Then you don't need panels

Then we ask, "Will you be travelling in the Winter in the UK" If the answer is "Yes" then you don't need panels (No point they won't work LOL)

Lots of people drive around with panels on their roof's that are pointless, other than a conversation piece and the ability to get their own back on Newbies and say "Oh you must get a solar panel"

In the Northern Hemisphere panels work very well in the Summer when you use little or no power as you outside all day and are useless in the depth of winter when your power usage is at it's highest!

Yes we do import Alden panels, yes we sell Alden panels to lots of dealers, and yes we sell and install lots of panels, but at least we sleep well knowing that out normal advice of "try it first and see if you actually have a power problem" saves lots of people forking out for things that simply do not work in the Winter in the UK and work moderately well in the Spring and Autumn and work very well in the Summer when you USE NO POWER:ROFLMAO:

Eddie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We have two x 80w panels and two x 110amp batts.
In summer in the UK we stay on CL/CS's at £5/6 a night with no hook up from mid April till mid October.
We have stayed for up to a fortnight in one place.
We had a week at Mytholeroyd and it rained almost all the time but we still got enough power to keep us going. Alan (Laneside) who lives near there offered to loan us his gennie if needs be, we did not need it.
So for us yes they are not cheap to have fitted but we recoup the cost in site fees. :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
First question that we ask is " Will you have hook up most of the time" If the answer is "Yes" Then you don't need panels.

Next question is "if there is no hook up would you stay more than a couple of days in one spot? if the answer is "No" Then you don't need panels

Then we ask, "Will you be travelling in the Winter in the UK" If the answer is "Yes" then you don't need panels (No point they won't work LOL)

Lots of people drive around with panels on their roof's that are pointless, other than a conversation piece and the ability to get their own back on Newbies and say "Oh you must get a solar panel"

In the Northern Hemisphere panels work very well in the Summer when you use little or no power as you outside all day and are useless in the depth of winter when your power usage is at it's highest!

Yes we do import Alden panels, yes we sell Alden panels to lots of dealers, and yes we sell and install lots of panels, but at least we sleep well knowing that out normal advice of "try it first and see if you actually have a power problem" saves lots of people forking out for things that simply do not work in the Winter in the UK and work moderately well in the Spring and Autumn and work very well in the Summer when you USE NO POWER:ROFLMAO:

Eddie

Couldn't agree more Eddie , :thumb:

basically what I was saying in my last post ...

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004

Eddie
100% agree:thumb:
Was at the five day whenbury meet,and noticed alot of vans fitted with solar panals needed the use of machnical energy:ROFLMAO:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I have been thinking of having solar panels fitted and was agonising between need and want.

After reading the advice on this thread I realise that I wanted them rather than needed them. I will be fitting an extra leisure battery (I only have one at the moment), as the type of overnighting that we do is usually on sites, where hook-up is normally available. The extra battery and generator will see us through the few nights that we "rough it" as we don't have loads of electrical need.

Thank you for all the informed advice from members, and a special thanks to Eddie for his honesty. :thumb: ::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
VERY TRUE and OFTEN FORGOTTEN

One thing often overlooked is just exactly what spaces you have that are suitable on your roof.
This is both by dimensions and clear of sliding hekis or aerials etc that may cast a shadow

I looked at solar a couple of times.. but when I looked at my RV roof (remember I am 23'9" long) but I have fridge vent, toilet vent, showed domed roof light, a pus up vent, a satellite dome, a Aircon box, a windup arial, a CB ariel and a radio ariel on the roof. The only free area will be in shade or shadowed a lot of the time.

I would need to have a rack made to go over a lot of the equipment.. as I am already near 13' at the top of the roof that makes it even taller .. also need to get to it to clean it. so that means the ladder which also goes up and over on to the roof so more shadow risk.

I will stick with the 4 kw chassis genny and the 200 amp batteries. (2 x 100 amps)...

Solar is OK if you are going to be in the sun long term.. but for the UK I have my doubts l=unless you can put serious amounts of panels on the roof.

Hear all the for and against arguments before.

Bob

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It is good that you have made a personal decision given the info available and your actual needs :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Excellent pictures and how to do thank you this post could be put in a how to do for others ?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Another point that I don't think has been made on this thread, though I may have missed it.

Lots of people have their motorhome in storage with no EHU during the winter months and probably only use it infrequently. A single 80w panel will probably not produce more than 1A in the depths of winter but this is plenty to keep the batteries topped up even running alarms etc. Those little panels you can buy in Maplins (and Johns Cross) produce virtually nothing in the winter and you could still end up with flat batteries. if it snows you need to clear the snow off the panels of course but snow for more than a couple of days is rare down here in the south.

My 4x80w panels, which may seem excessive to some, will produce up 4-6A (roughly 20Ah per day)even on a dullish January day at midday. Not enough to run your heating blower (40-50Ah per day), but enough to extend the time you are off EHU by a factor of nearly 2.
In the summer could produce 200Ah+ per day, more than you'd normally use by a long way, but you can always save gas by using an electric kettle from the inverter, or with a bit of rewiring run your fridge on 12v or inverter during daylight hours. We run hairdryer and toaster via inverter and could run a microwave (if we had one)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Another point that I don't think has been made on this thread, though I may have missed it.

Lots of people have their motorhome in storage with no EHU during the winter months and probably only use it infrequently.

I am in the fortunate position to be able to securely store at home (as secure as some scum will let you be) and have ehu so my leisure battery is constantly topped up. The MH is fitted with "intelligent" charging that only puts charge in on demand when the volts drop to a set level, same as the Optimate on my bike. We actually use the MH as well, which helps. ::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

Lots of people have their motorhome in storage with no EHU during the winter months and probably only use it infrequently.

I am in the fortunate position to be able to securely store at home (as secure as some scum will let you be) and have ehu so my leisure battery is constantly topped up. The MH is fitted with "intelligent" charging that only puts charge in on demand when the volts drop to a set level, same as the Optimate on my bike. We actually use the MH as well, which helps. ::bigsmile:

I did say 'lots of people' not everyone, you are fortunate in being able to keep yours at home however a motorhome off hookup can easily be too flat to start even after only a week or so due to parasitic current drain unless the battery is disconnected.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I did say 'lots of people' not everyone, you are fortunate in being able to keep yours at home however a motorhome off hookup can easily be too flat to start even after only a week or so due to parasitic current drain unless the battery is disconnected.

Yes you are quite right. It's always good to keep an eye on batteries as they can let you down when you least expect them too. :thumb:
As my MH is on hook-up at home I plug an Optimate in to the 240v onboard sockets and keep my vehicle battery "alive" and looked after.
If the MH was in storage elsewhere I would disconnect the battery, as you say. Cold weather is a battery killer and soon shows up a weak cell. I know, I was that stranded person :Blush: .

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
At least those of us with solar panels do not wind everyone else up running a genny just to watch television !!

( Dare not shout too loudly as woman wants us to take one of our gennies with us to the bring and buy and Stratford show so she can use the microwave :Doh: )

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We have two x 80w panels and two x 110amp batts.
In summer in the UK we stay on CL/CS's at £5/6 a night with no hook up from mid April till mid October.
We have stayed for up to a fortnight in one place.
We had a week at Mytholeroyd and it rained almost all the time but we still got enough power to keep us going. Alan (Laneside) who lives near there offered to loan us his gennie if needs be, we did not need it.
So for us yes they are not cheap to have fitted but we recoup the cost in site fees. :thumb:

Ken, I think you mean Mytholmroyd if its near Todmorden:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back