Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
Hi all we are off into europe in April till November and looking for gas solutions.

My present plan is to go over on a full UK bottle which will see me through Holland & Belgium once into France im planning on buying a French bottle and regulator then hopefully before going into Spain (northern west coast) have a full French bottle. Once in Spain when low go onto Spanish bottle/regulator which should get us through Portugal and up the Med coast back into France then use the French bottle again before crossing back again.

researched Gaslow and seems dear to me!

I would appreciated alternative solutions

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi
gaslow is expensive initially but the gas is cheaper per litre.
however if you are static for any length of time it can be a pain going off to refill them.

if you have space for 2 bottles in your locker then a single gaslow can save you the hassle of getting hold of different bottles and you have the flexibility to use a standard bottle.

and looking at your idea you will be coming home with 3 bottles:Doh:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I first had a motorhome with a gas tank and it was extremely convenient. Lately I have Gaslow bottles and it ia still the best thing. There are other refillable gas bottles available which are marginally cheaper than Gaslow.
Alternatively a Coleman petrol stove used outside could be a slightly cheaper option.
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Unleaded-Double-Burner-Stove/dp/B000QUIKX8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1325527376&sr=8-3[/ame]

Or a Primus paraffin pressure stove which would run on diesel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I first had a motorhome with a gas tank and it was extremely convenient. Lately I have Gaslow bottles and it ia still the best thing. There are other refillable gas bottles available which are marginally cheaper than Gaslow.
Alternatively a Coleman petrol stove used outside could be a slightly cheaper option.

Or a Primus paraffin pressure stove which would run on diesel.

i like the amazon link it seems to link to a funster whom would give discount:thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi all we are off into europe in April till November and looking for gas solutions.

My present plan is to go over on a full UK bottle which will see me through Holland & Belgium once into France im planning on buying a French bottle and regulator then hopefully before going into Spain (northern west coast) have a full French bottle. Once in Spain when low go onto Spanish bottle/regulator which should get us through Portugal and up the Med coast back into France then use the French bottle again before crossing back again.

Try this link for Gaslow products far cheaper than going direct to Gaslow UK , I bought all my bottles and pipes from them sure I saved around 25% at the time http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/ :thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We went to Europe last and took 2 x 6Kg Calor Bottles but, my local calor stockist lent me a third bottle which we carried on the camper. All we had to pay for was the actual Gas.

After the journey ended we took the third bottle back and he told me he'd forgotten he lent it to me and thanked me for being honest.

If staying on sites you may be able to use EHU for some things.

We have also got a small portable gas stove which is handy every now and then, uses those small gas canisters which come 4 in a pack. You can buy them at many of the shows.

Hope this advice may help and have a good trip.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Try this link for Gaslow products far cheaper than going direct to Gaslow UK , I bought all my bottles and pipes from them sure I saved around 25% at the time http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/ :thumb:

used gaproducts myself and have great selection and service. VanBitz do gaslow and with the 15% discount for memebers is same price as gasproducts. but gas products have free delivery over £100.

also gaslow do a refillable stand alone bottle which i am considering..:Eeek:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Finally did mine even tho we're light users due to having diesel heating.
I filled for first time last week at 67.9ppl cut off at a tad over 12 litres for £8.17.
Probably 3 yrs to recover my cost but it's warranted 15yrs
filler1-L.jpg

filler2-L.jpg

gaslow1-L.jpg

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, if i was you i would get an adaptor to change the spanish to french fitting . and another to change camping gas to a french reg. these can be bought from BES. i would leave here with a camping gas 907 bottle this can be changed just about anywhere in europe. on arrival in france get a french bottle straight away . use the camping gas as back up. when in spain get a spanish bottle . (repsol or cepsa)use the adaptor to french reg. try and get it so just before you get tp portugal you have a full spanish bottle . its possible in portugal to get french bottles filled at some gas stations if need be. the camping gas can be exchanged if need be. try and have a full spanish bottle when leaving spain. its not difficult with a bit of thought. you may find you can arrive home with a full bottleof all. ready for the next off.
personally i think all the refillable systems are far too expensive . in portugal and spain its cheaper to exchange anyway. should you go to maroc ,then a maroc bottle should be got . there is no way of filling the refillable ones in maroc . you can fill most bottles at a cost but as a maroc bottle is about 4,50 to exchange and they now seem to want 12,00 to fill others get maroc. there are other ways to get round it as well. have fun.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you have to have 2 bottles with the Gaslow set-up. We have just a single 11kg bottle and nothing as a back up as our locker only takes one bottle - we have only done a maximum of 24 days away at anyone time to date but haven't run out of gas and have always been able to refil it.

For a basic set-up you need:

£114.00 = 1 x 11kg bottle (no 1 type on Gasproducts website)
£44.94 = 1 x s/s hose to connect from the bottle to the regulater
£66.00 = 1 x refil point - which one (colour/length of pipe) will depend on your needs.
£18.34 = 1 x bracket (if not fitting filler into skirt)
£15.28 = 1 x French/Italian adaptor
£11.18 = 1 x Euro adaptor
£20.17 = 1 x Spanish adaptor
=£289.91 (or less if you don't need all the adaptors and bracket).

However, occasionally people sell on their 'used' kit so you might find it on some of the free adverts on the various forums or every now and then on Ebay.

I would suggest going to a 'proper' Gaslow dealer rather than buying off some of the purely Ebay shops as the Ebay stuff is actually more expensive!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Bottle to regulator are only £26 the £44 one is to connect two refillables together

Re single gaslow see previous page (just omit the changeover)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you could have a problem getting a bottle in spain, unless you can find a second hand one advertised.

to hire/buy a new one i believe you need a permanent Spanish address and a Spanish domestic gas safety certificate.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi , ask a gas truck driver or a garage most of the time nobody cares about your address etc. even supermarkets . expect to pay about 13 euro for gas and about the same for the bottle. you can get lightweight ones there now as well . but mainly orange steel or nice shiney stainless . once you have one you got it for life so its not wasted and much cheaper than autogas.

OP
OP
redchad

redchad

Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
hi, if i was you i would get an adaptor to change the spanish to french fitting . and another to change camping gas to a french reg. these can be bought from BES. i would leave here with a camping gas 907 bottle this can be changed just about anywhere in europe. on arrival in france get a french bottle straight away . use the camping gas as back up. when in spain get a spanish bottle . (repsol or cepsa)use the adaptor to french reg. try and get it so just before you get tp portugal you have a full spanish bottle . its possible in portugal to get french bottles filled at some gas stations if need be. the camping gas can be exchanged if need be. try and have a full spanish bottle when leaving spain. its not difficult with a bit of thought. you may find you can arrive home with a full bottleof all. ready for the next off.
personally i think all the refillable systems are far too expensive . in portugal and spain its cheaper to exchange anyway. should you go to maroc ,then a maroc bottle should be got . there is no way of filling the refillable ones in maroc . you can fill most bottles at a cost but as a maroc bottle is about 4,50 to exchange and they now seem to want 12,00 to fill others get maroc. there are other ways to get round it as well. have fun.

Hi dont wanna sound thick but whats BES?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Note the size of vwalans motorhome:roflmto:.

You may have a problem carrying the French,Spanish and Maroc bottles, not to mention the Campinggaz bottle which is only 1kg so won't last long. refillable bottles are expensive but a good solution.

You could look at Alugas bottles which are what I am getting, same sort of price but much lighter than Gaslow, or even a fixed gas tank which liberates your gas locker for other stuff.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Best thing I did for European touring was to self fit my Gaslow system, 1x11kg
bottle is sufficient for summer touring weve been to France,Belgium,Luxembourg,
Germany,Switzerland,Italy,Spain and Portugal. touring for upto seven weeks at a
time without worrying about changeing or finding gas bottles.Top up with Gas when
available, which today is practically everywere. Dont be put off by the scaremongering
we have never had any problem to fill and our fill point is inside our gas locker.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

regards
Steve

OP
OP
redchad

redchad

Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
Another anecdote going around is that some Spanish gas providers wont let you fill up Gazlow kits?

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Another anecdote going around is that some Spanish gas providers wont let you fill up Gazlow kits?

Only once have we failed to fill in Spain, that was because the pump was broken
on the Repsol Garage on the A6 just North of Madrid, August 2011, we have filled in Repsol depots and garages without any problem. In fact we always had service with a smile!!::bigsmile:
We called at same station 2 days later and filled up without a problem.

As I said lots of scaremongerers out there. Most of whom,probably have not even been past Dover.
regards
Steve

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes i have a truck its possibly smaller than alot of motor homes . its not full sizethe trailer is only 20ft long. smaller than many campers . the op was on about carrying two bottles anyway . possibly three. .i very often fill bottles as well . still dont waste my money on gaslow or other fancy named bottles . gas at the pumps is getting much easier in spain . but its more expensive than exchanging bottles. rest of europe i have never ever been asked what i,m filling. but as thats another discussion i wasnt going to mention adaptors for filling. but as it is 20-30 quid on ebay works for me.

sunshinelovers

Free Member
Jan 3, 2012
newark on trent
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
we have looked at gaslow several times , and everytime whats stopped us has been cost , plus i dont want to have another hole in the side of the a/trail

we was talking to a young chap at our newyear rally who fixes caravans , who showed us a red cylinder a bit like a calor lite but plastic , which can be filled with a uk pump and with a spanish pump with a gaslow brass looking adaptor , The wife has booked him to do our habitation next month , so will see

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
there are a few direct fill bottles available now that can be refilled at the pumps all about £140 a go ....

anyone tried one?:Doh:
any probs filling at the pump as its not fixed?:Doh:

Any views ( polite ones please ! ) are welcome:roflmto:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thought all bottles were refillable . dont think they throw them away.
easy to make them fixed . bottles should be fixed for safety in transit anyway. or any camper . ha ha .

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
gas suggestions

Phil i have M.T.H fitted bottle with external filling no probs.Also for 6 years have had well known red bottle with a none return filling valve many places here and in mainland Europe will fill any bottle but here threats to stop tanker supplies to garages filling ordinary 22 ltr re fillable bottles with gas for about £13 means you have to be selective but we manage fine.When in Spain we use re fill but if free camping for a while in winter pop up to loal garage and exchange silver bottle price rise last Jan means price about 14 euro.Need to obtain light silver bottle try car boots in Spain about 10e or go to garage as i did take details of campsite plot no telephone number ect all written down your i.d 30e full bottle and certificate job done.Last year 100 nights heating.hob and oven hot water etc 110 ltr 84e hope this helps::bigsmile:

seymore

Free Member
Feb 13, 2010
Newcastle under Lyme.
Funster No
MH
Van coversion
Exp
This is the 4th van weve done
gas in europe

::bigsmile:Hi redchad, we did 5weeks in france last summer,we took camping gaz bottles 2. The first weekend we were there we went to a car boot, got afrench bottle with some gas in 4 euros, the regulator was 5 euros from the supermarket and 22 euros for the refill. We filled it twice no problems at all. Its in my shed with gas still in it ready for this year. hope you get sorted and a happy new year to one and all. dave

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi VWALAN, i was thinkin of this type of bottle;;;

Link Removed:thumb:

sunshinelovers

Free Member
Jan 3, 2012
newark on trent
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
thats what the chap had , it doesnt need anything for uk use , i guess its easy to fill , but for spain it needs a brass adapter , they are another £30

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

If you go down the refillable route....please contact Dave Newel for a price...for the ALUGAS bottles....a funster member, so you would get the funster discount. and fitted if you want like Dave did for me...don't forget half the weight to Gaslow bottles..... Dave is a Good man, Good job, I am well pleased....

Mel
:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
If you go down the refillable route....please contact Dave Newel for a price...for the ALUGAS bottles....a funster member, so you would get the funster discount. and fitted if you want like Dave did for me...don't forget half the weight to Gaslow bottles..... Dave is a Good man, Good job, I am well pleased....

Mel:thumb:

do you have a pic of your set up please? also thought the ally system was maga buks!:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back