Free Member
Nov 7, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
not yet
We are thinking about buying a dongle for our laptop but are confused by the optoins .We would prefer PAYG. our area is poor for 3 any suggestions from the Funsters:thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have used an Vodafone dongle with a non exporing SIM and that was ok when I used it in Glasgow, I then switched over to a mifi and used the same SIM...

I found Vodafone OK, my phone is O2 and the coverage is not ag good as Vodafone.

There are a number of Funsters here who love 3.

ShiftZZ

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The various price plans change from time to time so it is basically a matter of picking the one which best fits your requirements at the time in question. The hardware is basically the same whichever provider you go with.

As regards coverage you need to go with the provider which gives the best coverage overall for the areas you are likely to visit, rather than your home area alone. All the providers have coverage maps on their web sites.

One option might be to obtain an unlocked dongle (several on eBay) and a couple of SIMs from different providers for extra coverage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I also use the vodaphone

I also use the vodaphone pay as you go dongle on one of my dells. works ok.. but slow, but have used it all over the place.. the £15 credit you get with it stays on the dongle if you activate the dongle every three months.. still got £8.75 2 plus years on. Thinking about trying it on my Mac book...but then I do have an IPhone I could connect via bluetooth.

Bob

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Unless you intend not going out of your area with your motorhome I would not let poor reception in any particular area worry you..

For instance, where I am T mobile is great but when I use my vodafone handset I have to stand outside !

A mile away T mobile is pants and Vodafone is a solid signal..

Personal view,, go with the best deal you can get for your needs and do not worry too much about signal..
What EVER you go for there will be good and bad spots

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I also use the vodaphone pay as you go dongle on one of my dells. works ok.. but slow, but have used it all over the place.. [HI]the £15 credit you get with it stays on the dongle if you activate the dongle every three months.[/HI]. still got £8.75 2 plus years on. Thinking about trying it on my Mac book...but then I do have an IPhone I could connect via bluetooth.

Bob

I have one of those Vodafone SIMs which I use as backup in the dongle if the 3 signal (which I normally use) is not good enough.

However, I'm pretty sure that there are no new non-expiring Vodafone SIMs left on the market now. I just had a look on eBay and there were a couple of used ones but they were pretty expensive.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We use T-mobile dongles on 2 laptops.
£15 for 30 days. (daily and 7 days also available).
Been using them intensively all over UK for a year.
£15 is for 1gb.
Once the 1gb's used up ("You have exceeded the fair use") you are not cut off, means you can't download films etc., but can email,browse,facebook etc. till end of period.
It's proved the best option for us, using laptops for most of the day and evening - then son borrows one and uses it for most of the night :Eeek:...

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I personally would go for an unlocked 3 mifi from eBay
Link Removed

Also I would purchase one of these simcards which works on 3 and has 3gig a month for 3 months then just buy another sim. No contract::bigsmile:

Link Removed

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
If you can acquire an o2dongle
A giff gaff sim works
As it runs on O2 network
The same sim can also be used for a mobile
See link or google giffgaff :thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Had a Three dongle for a number of years, very good.:thumb: Better still, I have recently purchased an Android smart phone on Three, the samsung Galaxy s2 with unlimited data, Tethering through this is fantastic very fast and very firm.:thumb: I now intend to cancel the contract on my dongle. Must move with the times:ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have the same setup as you Buttons..
No need for any dongles or anything ( but I am on T Mobile.. 300 minutes 1000 texts and unlimited ( Fair Use, but have never manged to run it out ) for £15.00 a month

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have the same setup as you Buttons..
No need for any dongles or anything ( but I am on T Mobile.. 300 minutes 1000 texts and unlimited ( Fair Use, but have never manged to run it out ) for £15.00 a month
It was on your recommendation that I did it Jaws and an excellent recommendation it was too. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back