sargent ec325 (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hi everyone and a Happy New Year to you all.

We spent a couple of days up in Grassington, not the best of weather unfortunately but had a pleasant time despite the rain.

Only bad thing our power went off this morning, did a reset at the supply post but instant trip again, oh dear seems we have a fault with our Sargent EC325.
Tried another power cable which we knew was ok, with all 240v items switched off and same thing it tripped.

Can anyone suggest ideas on what could have failed inside the Sargent unit.
All the 12v circuits are working ok.

Aldwick subs

Free Member
Jun 4, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2009
Ec325

Happened to us in our Autotrail Apache last summer. If the trip switch stays in the off position and will not reset then the unit has failed and we had to have a replacement unit. Our dealer sends the unit back to makers for repair and then keeps as a spare. Good Luck

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi we had similar problem while in france in sept, caused by reversed polarity on french campsite, had to wait until we got back to blighty then contacted Sargent who talked me thru how to reset . Still not working as it originally did (ie led's on all the time power switched on, on the panel but everything works even when panel not illuminated. Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Met a chap on cc site in Bury the week before christmas came over talking to me since we both have Autotrail Frontiers.

He said that when he arrived on site all the mains electrics failed he had to take in to local m/h dealer who found a screw had shorted out the wiring loom think the dealer could hve been Emm Bee might be worth giving them a ring after the hoilidays i always found them very helpfull with my last van.

dave e

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you have a consumer unit in the van it may have more than one MCB's

As a starting point turn trip any and all MCB's manually ( simply switch them off )

Try the EHU cable and if the mains trip stays on you know the problem is past the consumer unit

Unplug the EHU

Switch one of the MCB's back on and connect the mains again

If it trips out you know that the fault is on the circuit you have switched back in

If still ok you now know that at least half of the mains circuit in the van is ok :thumb:

If not, disconnect the EHU and reset the next MCB in the consumer unit and test again

Once you have established what line the fault is it should not be too difficult to find where the fault lies..

One of the most common problems is an earth leak in the fridge line..

had that twice on folks vans over the past couple of years

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
We had a similar thing happened to us in France this year.... someone told us to switch it off then remove the front of the display unit, disconnect the display unit then put it all back together again.... it worked for us!

des

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
sargent EC 325 PSU

Hi folks, thank to those that offered assistance.

I took front off unit and found the neutral wire out of the inlet socket/plug to the RCD had overheated melting the insulation through and shorted out against the earth wire, ugh not nice, has also melted the inlet plug so that is not usable.
Will have to replace the orange power inlet cable and source a new plug and socket.
Hopefully the RCD and Mcb`s protected the transformer, fingers crossed.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Rob & Chris,if not I would look at replacing the whole unit with something different.Only my opp but there seems to be a lot of problems with the Sargent units,although customer service is good from them :thumb: the product seems prone to faults :Doh:
terry

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Hi Rob & Chris,if not I would look at replacing the whole unit with something different.Only my opp but there seems to be a lot of problems with the Sargent units,although customer service is good from them :thumb: the product seems prone to faults :Doh:
terry

Hi Terry, yes we have heard from more than one person that they have had problems with the Sargent PSU, have to be fair and say the unit is 3yrs old and that is the first time we have had any trouble with it.

Haven`t fully tested it since finding out the the problem, hopefully nothing inside the unit has suffered, thinking of wiring the mains cable straight to the RCD, at least that will eliminate the one plug and socket.

Have to say when we phoned Sargent re us having gel leisure batteries and the unit being set to lead acid for charging purposes they said it doesn`t matter, odd we thought why have the different settings in the unit, then again we have a lead acid engine battery so just left things as they were.

Rob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back