Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
July 2011
Have driven myself silly in trying to work out the best way of using the laptop in the van so have to ask for help. Not easy for an independant woman.

So...What's the best way of using the laptop in my motorhome when not on mains electric?
Will be replacing the old battery with a 110 leisure battery in the spring- Unfortunately, no room to put another.
Have a 12v power socket in the van to connect too.

1). Run it off the leisure battery with ...Converter?
2) Anything better?

Probably such a simple thing for other folk.:RollEyes:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Have driven myself silly in trying to work out the best way of using the laptop in the van so have to ask for help. Not easy for an independant woman.

So...What's the best way of using the laptop in my motorhome when not on mains electric?
Will be replacing the old battery with a 110 leisure battery in the spring- Unfortunately, no room to put another.
Have a 12v power socket in the van to connect too.

1). Run it off the leisure battery with ...Converter?
2) Anything better?

Probably such a simple thing for other folk.:RollEyes:

I use one similar to this one ..used it now for 4 year no trouble .... they are simple.....plug into your 12v habitation 12v socket ...this will either charge up your laptop battery while you are using it, or charge the laptop up when not in use or run the laptop without its battery fitted.. make sure you have it set to the correct voltage for your laptop and the correct plug for your laptop

Link Removed

these state what laptop they are for

Link Removed

Link Removed

look on ebay for the best price and feedback...

You are better taking a 12v fused socket off your hab battery so you are not running your cab battery down...
Mel:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

patilo

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
July 2011
Step up transformer-- another new thing....
Step up transformers on ebay all seem to be converting from USA to UK.
Is this what you mean?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Go to nearest maplins branch excellent selection of
multi voltage power adaptors available for less than £50. Thats were I bought the one we use and its been terrific can also charge other equipment such as phones and i pod etc.
will connect to 12v cigarette lighter socket, so can be used both from leisure battery or
vehicle when driving.

Link Removed

hope this helps
regards
Steve

OP
OP
P

patilo

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
July 2011
Also, looked at the car charger adapter. This seems Ok. Is this the best way or tapping into the leisure battery?

OP
OP
P

patilo

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
July 2011
Hi Steve
Maplins in Wigan -Robin Park...Know something about electrics? :) not found them very helpful in the past.. but maybe this is a simple solution.
Will explore Maplins online.
By the way, You're only down the road from me in Leigh.
Many thanks

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the link that Mel gave you is for a dc/dc charger (just check it has the correct plug for your laptop).
A stepup transformer converts A/C from one voltage to another i.e. 110V - 240V.
The other option is to use a small 150W inverter that changes 12v DC into 240V A/c so that you can use your normal charging lead. I actually prefer this option as I can then have the option to plug in other phone chargers etc or run small 240V items (but not a hairdrier before you ask)
As you only have a single leisure battery I would charge the laptop whilst driving then use it off of its own battery when stopped. I find I get a 4-6 hours from a small netbook battery as opposed to an hour or two from a bigger laptop.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
the link that Mel gave you is for a dc/dc charger (just check it has the correct plug for your laptop).
The other option is to use a small 150W inverter that changes 12v DC into 240V A/c so that you can use your normal charging lead. I actually prefer this option as I can then have the option to plug in other phone chargers etc or run small 240V items (but not a hairdrier before you ask)
As you only have a single leisure battery I would charge the laptop whilst driving then use it off of its own battery when stopped. I find I get a 4-6 hours from a small netbook battery as opposed to an hour or two from a bigger laptop.

I thought any voltage that was increased from sorce was classed as step up ...eg... 12 v to 19v dc

also I did state to make sure it was the correct plug and voltage on my reply,
also I would think that the 12v unit I sent a link for would use less power than a 150 inverter you have suggested and cheaper to buy...as the lady was only asking what to use for her laptop.....not for the all the other 12V Accessories in the motorhome

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

patilo

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
July 2011
Thanks wildman.
The inverter route plugged into the car whilst running is probably the option that has come up the most. Will do further exploration on that one as well.
From what you say, it seems like the inverter will use up too much power if plugged into the leisure battery. Am i right on that one?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The issue with an investor is

Roger, while I fully agree with you, the only point I would add is that really you need 'pure sin wave' power and not modified as in the bog standard investors you can buy at Maplin. I have some of there units, but if I want to run the TV (without flicker lines) or a high end computer then I always run the laptop off my Sterling inverter that is pure wave... worth noting, as computers do not like modified power..same with a washing machine.. the electronics play up.

Bob

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Roger, while I fully agree with you, the only point I would add is that really you need 'pure sin wave' power and not modified as in the bog standard investors you can buy at Maplin. I have some of there units, but if I want to run the TV (without flicker lines) or a high end computer then I always run the laptop off my Sterling inverter that is pure wave... worth noting, as computers do not like modified power..same with a washing machine.. the electronics play up.

Bob

I agree with you Bob and the cost of pure sine wave cost in the hundreds...the lady on asked to run her lap top:Doh:...unless Roger is paying for it:Eeek:
try and keep it simple for the lady..... not overload her
Mel

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Thanks wildman.
The inverter route plugged into the car whilst running is probably the option that has come up the most. Will do further exploration on that one as well.
From what you say, it seems like the inverter will use up too much power if plugged into the leisure battery. Am i right on that one?
a 150W inverter has a very small overhead but the average laptop will use around 4amps per hour. Your leisure battery is rated in amp/hours so an 85 amp/hour battery theoretically gives 1 amp for 85 hours, however in practice this is incorrect as a battery should never be taken below 50% charge giving you a usable 42.5 amp hours to cover your lights, water pump (inc WC flush if electric) TV and lappy. You can see it is not a lot to go around. You can help by changing lights to LED bulbs and not having them all on all the time, switch things off when not in use and generally being aware of your consumption versus available battery. As to Bobs comment re pure sine wave, in some cases it is valid but not all, the bigger problem is too low a battery voltage to drive it properly. My 150W is a cheapo off ebay costs around £12 and runs my TV and Sat box plus DVD player plus any chargers I need but of course not all at the same time. The batteries that I use to run the inverter are charged solely from Solar power. and not the engine.
This 350W inverter is one that I use in the summer, the 150w one I have overheats without a fan.
Link Removed

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought one of the multi adapters from eBay a few years ago and used it with several Acer laptops/netbooks. Last year I bought an Asus netbook with a different fitting, for which I didn't have an adapter, so bought a specific 12v charger direct from Asus.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
a 150W inverter has a very small overhead but the average laptop will use around 4amps per hour. Your leisure battery is rated in amp/hours so an 85 amp/hour battery theoretically gives 1 amp for 85 hours, however in practice this is incorrect as a battery should never be taken below 50% charge giving you a usable 42.5 amp hours to cover your lights, water pump (inc WC flush if electric) TV and lappy. You can see it is not a lot to go around. You can help by changing lights to LED bulbs and not having them all on all the time, switch things off when not in use and generally being aware of your consumption versus available battery. As to Bobs comment re pure sine wave, in some cases it is valid but not all, the bigger problem is too low a battery voltage to drive it properly. My 150W is a cheapo off ebay costs around £12 and runs my TV and Sat box plus DVD player plus any chargers I need but of course not all at the same time. The batteries that I use to run the inverter are charged solely from Solar power. and not the engine.

Crikey..Rodger....the person only asked for something to run the laptop.....not a new motorhome:Doh::Doh:

OP
OP
P

patilo

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
July 2011
Thanks Mel
YEs, keep it simple - Found that the expense of pure sine wave inverters doesn't justify their use for a laptop. But, take on board that there may be problems with hungry electric equipment.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I was waiting for it

Damn, I'm going to have to stop doing the washing while driving:ROFLMAO:

I thought as I wrote it.. how long before someone says something about a washing machine.... ok Yes some RV's do have a washer dryer fitted. Rick (Motoromin ... in the other place as they say in the commons... or on RVOC has one in his RV....)

But no we do not in our 25' RV, but then we do have the big fridge and freezer.... but electronics can be an issue on some laptops. The inverter is fine if it is a sin wave, but they cost more... or get a purpose made unit for the laptop to charge and run from a 12v socket.

Bob::bigsmile:

OP
OP
P

patilo

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
July 2011
So...solution....inverter(150w)
Many thanks for all invloved.
Can now take mum out as the sun is shining,the first time in three days.
Despedida

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

Bob

Maybe you have been unlucky or I have been lucky, but I have been useing a selection of "bog standard" inverter not the pure sine wave kind for years runing computers microwave ovens, power tools and TV's and never had a problem of any kind.

Doug...

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi. Before you decide have a look at ebay item 3903 2053 9573. Specific ones available for your laptop. £14.80. Looks same as your mains charger but just plugs into cigarlighter socket.

I used a cheapie inverter for years in a truck to power an old Toshiba laptop with no problems but my newer HP did NOT like it. I tried a Maplins charger with the multiple sockets - wouldn't work on the HP but did work with a spare Samsung...

Been using the above ebay item for 6 months in the MH and in the car, no probs at all.

:thumb:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
My 800 watt Maplins inverter runs the netbook just fine

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
kill multiple birds etc.......a small inverter generator.

run laptop, charge batteries, run small appliances etc from one source.

an expensive option to just run a lappy but all the benefits of mains electric.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
kill multiple birds etc.......a small inverter generator.

run laptop, charge batteries, run small appliances etc from one source.

an expensive option to just run a lappy but all the benefits of mains electric.

job done .. with a bit of overkill... :roflmto:

stock-photo-cracking-walnuts-with-a-sledgehammer-3586895.jpg

personally I prefer the first suggestion from Mel

A 12v DC laptop power supply unit with multiple voltage outputs and tips to suit most laptops..

.. the one I have also has a USB outlet for charging phones, cameras, ipods . etc .. very versatile and neat ..

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have always used the Maplins 12v power supply designed specifically for laptops. It is probably more efficient than running it from an inverter which is having to convert 12v DC to 230vAC and then the laptop power supply converts back again to the 12-20v DC needed by the laptop. It also means you can leave the laptops mains power supply at home, which is one less thing to take. I have 500w and 1.5Kw inverters on board but would not use them for the laptop as they are not pure sine wave.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
and just to be different i use one of these to power my laptop etc

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Power-Station-1000-amps-PT31/dp/B0002ZVMNC[/ame]

either with an inverter or with the 12v connection, that way i take nothing from my van batteries and if i want to sit outside (when its nice) using my computer i can, and just charge the unit up when out driving as and when needed.
Its also been of use to other people to help start their vehicles in the past.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
and just to be different i use one of these to power my laptop etc

http://Link RemovedPT31/dp/B0002ZVMNC

either with an inverter or with the 12v connection, that way i take nothing from my van batteries and if i want to sit outside (when its nice) using my computer i can, and just charge the unit up when out driving as and when needed.
Its also been of use to other people to help start their vehicles in the past.
i need to buy a few dozen of these very unusual battery packs.....

This review is from: 3 in 1 Power Station - 1000 amps (PT31)
I've had mine for years and haven't had to charge it in years. Great for inflating bike and car tires. Only design suggestion would be to find a place to attach the recharging cord which tends to get misplaced.

who's this guy kidding but himself :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
job done .. with a bit of overkill... :roflmto:

stock-photo-cracking-walnuts-with-a-sledgehammer-3586895.jpg

personally I prefer the first suggestion from Mel

A 12v DC laptop power supply unit with multiple voltage outputs and tips to suit most laptops..

.. the one I have also has a USB outlet for charging phones, cameras, ipods . etc .. very versatile and neat ..

Just one more option Jim.:thumb:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
heres the same unit Maplins are selling for £40 this should be ideal for your needs

Link Removed

and cheap as chips
regards
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back