Jan 1, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006
Hi All,

First time posting on here for me, just wondering if anyones had a similar experience? We've had our motorhome from new in 06 from a dealer who shall remain nameless at this point!
Every year we've took the van back for it's hab check and we've had to undergo water ingress repairs on an annual basis... no fail! The 5 year water ingress warranty expired in May 2011 - so we've took out an extended warranty to cover our backs and guess what... just found out that the garage in the back of the van is taking on water (all doors were definately locked) I've got up the worst of the water but having checked again 2 days later it's in there yet again! Tired of the ongoing problems and the van is beginning to look 'bodged' with slightly different colour sealants on a lot of the panels etc, I'm sure this will effect any future resale value on our part. Question is do we have any rights here for compensation or at least an exceptional part exchange deal with the original dealer on a van conversion (have no faith in coachbuilts now). I don't expect them to lose money but I'm seriously thinking of getting someone involved in a legal capacity as our investment in this motorhome is now devalued due to all the problems from new.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi and welcome to FUN, Stickers.

sorry to say it, but i doubt you have any comeback as you accepted the repairs year on year.

if it is a recurring repair to the same area each year you may have a case but i doubt it otherwise.

OP
OP
S

Stickers

Free Member
Jan 1, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006
End of tether

Hi and welcome to FUN, Stickers.

sorry to say it, but i doubt you have any comeback as you accepted the repairs year on year.

if it is a recurring repair to the same area each year you may have a case but i doubt it otherwise.

Ah, funny thing is they did repairs around the garage under warranty last year
under the guise of water ingress - I never eyed any actual water then though... maddening!!! Cheers for reply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Sorry to hear of your problems, what van is it? It occurs to me the van was not fit for purpose when bought and has not improved. Of course it is possible the "repairs" on a lot of occasions were nothing more than a way to charge you extra. If it was a new van when you bought it and not secondhand then I would definately go to the manufactures a decent firm would not want the adverse publicity these problem would bring. Time has no bearing on original quality and you accepted repairs in good faith. That does not include accepting you will get the same problems year after year.
It sounds like a rogue friday afternoon van. Sling it back at them via a solicitor. You have been patient enough.

OP
OP
S

Stickers

Free Member
Jan 1, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006
End of tether

Sorry to hear of your problems, what van is it? It occurs to me the van was not fit for purpose when bought and has not improved. Of course it is possible the "repairs" on a lot of occasions were nothing more than a way to charge you extra. If it was a new van when you bought it and not secondhand then I would definately go to the manufactures a decent firm would not want the adverse publicity these problem would bring. Time has no bearing on original quality and you accepted repairs in good faith. That does not include accepting you will get the same problems year after year.
It sounds like a rogue friday afternoon van. Sling it back at them via a solicitor. You have been patient enough.

Well, nothing to lose by trying, everything to lose by accepting another repair, when next year they may not accept us taking out another extended warranty - as we're deemed a liability?! Hate to moan, but as everyone knows on here - motorhomes are not cheap and they take a whole lot of paying for.

Cheers Wildman.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Stickers.

Welcome..

As a matter of interest how did you pay for the van?
There is a good reason for asking,
a) If its a finance deal then you may have some influence there,
b) Credit Card / Debit card, same things, a possibility,Section 75(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974
c) Cash, sorry no go

When you buy goods you enter into a contract with the seller of those goods. Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 goods must be:
'as described',
'of satisfactory quality', and
'fit for purpose' – this means both their everyday purpose, and also any specific purpose that you agreed with the seller (for example, if you specifically asked for a printer that would be compatible with your computer).

I would seek the advise of a local solicitor, you are more than likely looking at at least an asset in excess of at least £30k (assumption).

ShiftZZ

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
You need to get together all of the documentation of its history, the repairs, ext warranty etc etc and go legal. Once you have let a lawyer give you advice, you can then go back to the dealer and will be in a strong negotiating position. The past and current history of the van makes it worthless, and its value has dropped far below normal depreciation, your lawyer should be able to lay that on the dealers door, who will in turn pass it to the manufacturer, but i doubt that is your job, good luck, keep us informed.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Sorry I can`t help with your problem as I am only now looking into buying my first MH. As we are in the same County, wouldn`t mind knowing which dealer you used if you think they are best avoided, by PM if you prefer.

On the point about paying by CC, am I right in thinking you only have to pay a proportion by card to get that protection, meaning pay £500 deposit by card, balance by cash and you are equally covered???

Thanks

Steve

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
It is certainly not normal to find water ingress problems EVERY single year, as they were under a chargeable warranty it sounds a bit like getting some money to me.

As to returning it as being unfit, bit late for that now.

Peter

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry I can`t help with your problem as I am only now looking into buying my first MH. As we are in the same County, wouldn`t mind knowing which dealer you used if you think they are best avoided, by PM if you prefer.

On the point about paying by CC, am I right in thinking you only have to pay a proportion by card to get that protection, meaning pay £500 deposit by card, balance by cash and you are equally covered???

Thanks

Steve

£100 is the minimum..

ShiftZZ

OP
OP
S

Stickers

Free Member
Jan 1, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'd rather not go in to who supplied the van at this point. For a pointer, if you're after a coachbuilt, try to avoid buying a van with plywood or similar behind the panels (I believe a lot of the newer vans have styrofoam or similar inside the panels) basicallly, wood holds water if it breaks through seals, swells the panels and is difficult to dry out - or go for a van conversion.
It may be we're just very unfortunate?? - happy hunting!!
By the way don't let this put you off, we've had great times and adventures in the van and love it... just a worry when you've invested so much in it.

nucs200

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
a while now
hi dont where abouts in staffs you are but theres a good bloke who repairs caravans and motorhomes in tipton, west midlands,
look up Premier Towing for his website it might be somewhere for you to go for a second opinion

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Sorry to hear about your problems.

I think this post is a valuable lesson to all.

If you buy a Motorhome, new or used, don't expect this industry to give a service to match their promises.
Our experience with manufacturers and dealers has taught us that, just like a home of bricks and mortar, once you have given them your cash, you are on your own!
The motorhome industry benefits from new 'lambs to the slaughter' on a daily basis as new customers dip into their newly-available retirement funds. As a result, the manufacturers and dealers have no real need to attract repeat custom in order to make their money. It seems to me it makes more financial sense for the majority of dealers to attract new customers rather than keep their present ones happy.:Angry:

I think, if one wishes to own a motorhome and not lose a bucket of cash, one should use lots of common sense, follow their instinct and examine those roof and door seals regularly!!:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Sorry to hear about your problems.

I think this post is a valuable lesson to all.

If you buy a Motorhome, new or used, don't expect this industry to give a service to match their promises.
Our experience with manufacturers and dealers has taught us that, just like a home of bricks and mortar, once you have given them your cash, you are on your own!
The motorhome industry benefits from new 'lambs to the slaughter' on a daily basis as new customers dip into their newly-available retirement funds. As a result, the manufacturers and dealers have no real need to attract repeat custom in order to make their money. It seems to me it makes more financial sense for the majority of dealers to attract new customers rather than keep their present ones happy.:Angry:
Shame you did not come to us as you would have found a totally different experience.

Apart from the satisfaction of dealing honourably, it is far cheaper to keep a satisfied customer than look for another one.

Peter

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There's no point in going down the legal route until you have the facts and can see if it is worth the bother - I would think it probably isn't as it will cost you quite a bit of dosh and you are not likely to get what you want, if you get anything at all.

So, before you do anything else I would suggest you take your van to another dealer and get it checked out thoroughly for damp (shouldn't cost more than £50 for a damp check). Then you will know for sure what the issues are and what it will take to get it put right, and any remedial work on the so-called repairs done previously, and can make an informed decision on what to do next.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi it pays to check the seals on your van regularly :thumb:
Hagnap(Paul) and myself are having a friendly bit of banter in another post about seals/glue at this moment ::bigsmile:
As to rejecting the van it is way too late for that.
I only know one person who successfully rejected there van and got a new one, and that was more to shut them up/get rid of him :Eeek:
We often hear of members going down the rejection route but I am afraid to say they never come back and let us know how they get/got on-perhaps manufactures stick confidential clauses on the deal ? or I miss the posts that say we did it ?
There is a lady member on here who was a long way down the rejection road but again I cannot remember her name and never heard the outcome.:Doh:but I believe it costs a lot of money in legal fees which you would get back IF the action was ruled in your favour.I think most people take the easy route of a good deal off the dealer who then sells the rouge van on.:winky:
terry

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Shame you did not come to us as you would have found a totally different experience.

Apart from the satisfaction of dealing honourably, it is far cheaper to keep a satisfied customer than look for another one.

Peter

Hi Peter

I was critical of 'the majority' and even that is an opinion rather than a proven fact.
I do think the leisure industry in general has a long way to go before I would have a real confidence again. I really didn't wish every dealer to be painted with the same brush, just to warn people that there are quite a few who are happy to break their promises.

You, on the other hand, seem to have a very different approach and it is very refreshing to see a dealer keeping an ear to the ground and having a real enthusiasm for quality aftersales service. You often take the time to give Funsters good solid advice despite not being financially rewarded for your efforts and give all of us the an insight into the Dealer's world, better preparing us for more sensible and productive negotiation when we are purchasing our new MHs.

All Funsters should have someone like you in their locality Peter!:thumb:

LynneKemp

Free Member
Jun 10, 2010
Funster No
Damp - Repair - Damp - Repair!

Hi - We're in a similar situation. Bought a CI Riviera in November 07 with a warranty through Customer Protect. By the following April damp was discovered quite badly at the back of the van. Were advised to get estimates for repair, this ranged from £1,500 to £4,500! Warranty company said damp must have been there, so wouldn't pay out. Tried to get money out of seller but they wouldn't pay out as we had taken the van to another repairer to get the estimate and they should've been given the chance to put the matter right - this was contrary to what they warranty company had stated. Eventually, the seller gave us approx £600 towards the cost which in total was £1,400. Lo and behold in Nov last year damp started to apear again. Took it back to repairer who has stated we should have had yearly damp checks - this wasn't a condition when we picked the van up. There had been no sign of damp up until Nov as we had been checking it. The upshot is it's now going to cost us another £1,700 for them to do identical repairs (they did admit they had got rid of someone because of shoddy workmanship). They have taken off £640 as the rails should have been resealed last time and weren't. They've had the van since the beginning of December and I have spoken to them today and it appears the damp is a lot worse than first anticipated and will take quite a while to repair, better not cost any more money! Not sure where to go from here, is there a Motorhome Ombudsman - we're going on holiday in August - got to have the 'van back by then!!! Any advice would be appreciated.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi All,

First time posting on here for me, just wondering if anyones had a similar experience? We've had our motorhome from new in 06 from a dealer who shall remain nameless at this point!
Every year we've took the van back for it's hab check and we've had to undergo water ingress repairs on an annual basis... no fail! The 5 year water ingress warranty expired in May 2011 - so we've took out an extended warranty to cover our backs and guess what... just found out that the garage in the back of the van is taking on water (all doors were definately locked) I've got up the worst of the water but having checked again 2 days later it's in there yet again! Tired of the ongoing problems and the van is beginning to look 'bodged' with slightly different colour sealants on a lot of the panels etc, I'm sure this will effect any future resale value on our part. Question is do we have any rights here for compensation or at least an exceptional part exchange deal with the original dealer on a van conversion (have no faith in coachbuilts now). I don't expect them to lose money but I'm seriously thinking of getting someone involved in a legal capacity as our investment in this motorhome is now devalued due to all the problems from new.
unfortunately we in UK pays ya money and takes ya risk
the dealers have air tight small print you will,be lucky to win against them

when it was only a few months old and damp was found you would maybe had a better chance of getting a replacement 3 years on you wont get much recourse

damn unfair i know but that is why they make the money
charge you for repairs and it devalues your investment you lose every time

even name and shame does not work the dealers are all much the same
all smiles and nothing is a bother until they have your money and you have the hassle.

good luck i wish you well but do not hold your breath :Doh:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi - We're in a similar situation. Bought a CI Riviera in November 07 with a warranty through Customer Protect. By the following April damp was discovered quite badly at the back of the van. Were advised to get estimates for repair, this ranged from £1,500 to £4,500! Warranty company said damp must have been there, so wouldn't pay out. Tried to get money out of seller but they wouldn't pay out as we had taken the van to another repairer to get the estimate and they should've been given the chance to put the matter right - this was contrary to what they warranty company had stated. Eventually, the seller gave us approx £600 towards the cost which in total was £1,400. Lo and behold in Nov last year damp started to apear again. Took it back to repairer who has stated we should have had yearly damp checks - this wasn't a condition when we picked the van up. There had been no sign of damp up until Nov as we had been checking it. The upshot is it's now going to cost us another £1,700 for them to do identical repairs (they did admit they had got rid of someone because of shoddy workmanship). They have taken off £640 as the rails should have been resealed last time and weren't. They've had the van since the beginning of December and I have spoken to them today and it appears the damp is a lot worse than first anticipated and will take quite a while to repair, better not cost any more money! Not sure where to go from here, is there a Motorhome Ombudsman - we're going on holiday in August - got to have the 'van back by then!!! Any advice would be appreciated.
so sorry to hear of your miss fortune
the dealers are a specimen of their own
take your money and pass the buck once things go wrong

OP
OP
S

Stickers

Free Member
Jan 1, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006
End of tether

Hi Lynne,

Update on our dilema is that the van has gone in for more warranty repairs again (luckily they've agreed to do this without any cost to us, although I feel this was caused by shoddy warranty work in the same area last year)
Anyway, enough is enough for us and we've come to a half decent arrangement with the dealer to part ex it in for a new panel van. We loved the coachbuilt, but I just get the impression that budget coachbuilts are a bad investment, and the new breed of coachbuilts without glorified plywood behind the panels are way out of our reach. Then again, maybe we're both just very unfortunate??

We're looking forward to getting out in the conversion though, not to many comprises in it's layout and should be better on fuel etc.

I wish you the best of luck with your van and I'm sure when you hit the road again in it on your hol's - all these worries will wash away!

LynneKemp

Free Member
Jun 10, 2010
Funster No
Damp

Let's hope so - thanks

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Go for an older coachbuilt.......the build quality differs dramatically!

When we first started hiring, we had a new vans, spend 7 months having repair after repair, so sent back and bought older models (2001-2004).....never had an issue with them other than usual maintenance!

Seats are comfy, far thicker than new vans, no drafts, no leaks...just keep on going!:thumb:

LynneKemp

Free Member
Jun 10, 2010
Funster No
Go for an older coachbuilt.......the build quality differs dramatically!

When we first started hiring, we had a new vans, spend 7 months having repair after repair, so sent back and bought older models (2001-2004).....never had an issue with them other than usual maintenance!

Seats are comfy, far thicker than new vans, no drafts, no leaks...just keep on going!:thumb:

Ours is a 2003 coachbuilt - heard from the garage this morning, apparently they're rebuilding the whole of the back end and it should be ready in about 2 weeks. He confirmed that the original quote would remain the same as it was their fault and most of it should have been picked up the first time round - so things aren't so bad - might still think about trading it in 'tho - we'll see

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Must say not one of out vans ( touching wood and crossing fingers ! ) has leaked, and apart from a VERY brief time with an A Class we have had nothing but C class, including a 1988 Hobby :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back