Dec 17, 2011
Reading
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630g
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi guy's

I need some advice on how to handle this one. I brought a Swift Sundance 630g a little over a week ago. We did a test run over the weekend which was fine, wet and windy but good fun. I have posted another thread reference some issues for the dealer but I did a bit of investigation while cleaning today and found some water damage.

It appears that someone has installed a new electric step at some point, removed some lino near the foot of the habitation door, installed 4no coach bolts through the floor, which at some point was upgraded with a supporting bar at the hinge end of the door. The lino was then bodged back and a mat screwed over everything to make it look neat.

It appears that water has been leaking in through the door somewhere (bottom joints have no mastic) and settled on the plywood floor, which is now a little worse for wear.

I would imagine that if the Lino was intact the wood underneath would remain dry, when I washed the motorhome today I noticed more water coming through the door so I checked the locking mech which had a rattle in it, tightend up the door catch inside and the door lock lovely, maybe is was the leak cause.

What would you guys do?

I have a 3 month warranty, should the dealer sort this, and what would you expect from the dealer?

I will be keeping the motorhome with the dealer anyway, and they have a workshop on site.

Any advice would be great. The motorhome is a 2003 model, in pret good nick, just annoys me that someone has bodged the step install!

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
Bessacar Damp Patch

Sorry to hear about that unfortunately there will always be someone trying to do a bodge and cover up and its not always possible to spot until after you,ve bought!
We have just bought a Besscar and while at eddie vanbitz garage a damp patch was found underneath, right at the back near the bumper, was,nt there when we bought it as I did a good inspection of the underneath! its a bit baffling as to where its coming from as there are no signs internally! Will be taking it to garage after the hols to get it checked out.
Of course you need to take it back to the dealer and get him to sort it out if the warranty covers it.

Hope you get it sorted, Happy New Year!::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would get it back to the dealer while its still under warrantee. The trouble with any sort of damp is that it often goes further than you think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Wollow007-stright back to the dealer,don't let them soft soap you ::bigsmile: and don't hang around or they will start to say you have had it too long and squirm out of the fix - It could be a simple fix or an entire floor so check out the rest of the floor :thumb: I am sorprised a dealer did not notice this and sold it in that state,be prepared for a fight or get your money back and buy another M/H AS IF YOU LET THEM FIX IT YOU MAY BE WITHOUT FOR WEEKS.MONTHS
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi again,some 2005 to 06 reg Swifts suffered floor rot but your year is not effected :thumb:These were sent back to the factory for repair / renewal of the entire floor in some cases-- the dealers tried all ways to wriggle out of there responsibilities and Swift stepped up to the mark by doing the repairs in house :thumb:It looked very bad for Swift until they did this because it was not limited to a few but almost all vans they produced.It came down to a new type of floor and the skirts not being sealed to the body allowing water to run down the sides onto the floor.They issued a notice to dealers to seal the skirts when vans were brought in for inspection/service - this was done in most cases and disaster was avoided,with Swift saying they would fix any vans that had the wet/rotted floor.
terry

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Get the camera out, then get it back to the dealer. Document all your dealings with them...but get it sorted, they are too good a MH to be spoilt.

OP
OP
W

Wollow007

Free Member
Dec 17, 2011
Reading
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630g
Exp
Im a newbie
Yep agree with everyone, have taken a picture, dried out the wet, basically took up mat (5 screws) and turned the heating on, aiming the vent to the wet floor.

It only appears to be local to the door to be honest. The area under the mat, they cut the Lino out, there's a strip missing, not really sure why but you'd never know until you lifted the mat, which I don't think the dealer would have done.

The rest of the motorhome appears watertight, the brief trip to wales certainly highlighted the MH faults, was apauling weather :Doh:

Going back o the dealer on the 3rd, Southern Motorhome Centre, anyone had any dealings with these guys? They seem really nice, anyone brought from them and needed to call on warranty?

:thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Yep agree with everyone, have taken a picture, dried out the wet, basically took up mat (5 screws) and turned the heating on, aiming the vent to the wet floor.

It only appears to be local to the door to be honest. The area under the mat, they cut the Lino out, there's a strip missing, not really sure why but you'd never know until you lifted the mat, which I don't think the dealer would have done.

The rest of the motorhome appears watertight, the brief trip to wales certainly highlighted the MH faults, was apauling weather :Doh:

Going back o the dealer on the 3rd, Southern Motorhome Centre, anyone had any dealings with these guys? They seem really nice, anyone brought from them and needed to call on warranty?

:thumb:
Good luck with your claim, the dealer should have done a dampness check before sale and if he did a pre sale habitation service, definately a damp check

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back