Free Member
Dec 30, 2011
northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
just looking at rvs
Exp
i am a newbie
Hi, like to ask out there if anyone can give us any feedback on purchasing an rv diesel motorhome. We are firm on some criteria being that we want leather seats and sofas, diesel, as big as space as possible for 2 boys. Price range not sure wld like side out version with air con and all the toys. Can anyone tell us how thirsty they are on fuel, insurance costs, storage etc. We plan to travel around europe as well as uk. Many thanks

Jules n Jon newbies

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi Jules and a warm welcome...

You may be better joining our sister site RVOC, who`s members are mainly American RV Owners...

Same as this site/club a great bunch of people who will have all the answers for a potential RV owner..

Here = www.rvoc.co.uk :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Jules and Jon and welcome.

RV, diesel, slideout......i can only assume you mean an american RV.

most common diesel engine will be a 6.5ltr, probably a Cummins.

depending on size and weight of the RV i would say, at best, you will get around 14mpg

insurance will depend on your personal circumstances but expect around £500/£600 comprehensive cover with unlimited windscreen breakage cover.
a one piece A class screen can cost upwards of £5000 to replace.

i would seriously consider full breakdown cover as well.

you will need to also consider your driving licence.
over 3500kg to 7500kg you will need a C1 licence.
over 7500kg you need a C class...old HGV type
if you took your test before jan 1997 you should already have C1(+E trailer) category.

have a look over on our sister site RVOC, which is dedicated to american RV's

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Welcome to Fun
and Mo and pappajohn beat me to it, a lot of us are members of both MHF and RVOC with rvoc being for american units, plenty of advice and help on both sites in general but for specific info on RVs visit rvoc

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi and welcome

just to add to above advice

I owned a 1997 Georgieboy Cruisemaster for five years, lived in it full time for three while touring Europe and Morocco .. ( see pic in signature )

Engine 5.9lt Cummins diesel, Auto transmission by Alison and on full self levelling Air Ride suspension.

MAM 8.5ton.. overall length 36ft

It returned between 12 - 14 mpg towing a 750kg trailer..

If going the diesel route I would strongly advise on a pusher.. front engined diesels are noisy .. a rear engine can barely be heard , but there are few pushers, if any, under 7.5ton

Many swear by slides, I personally don't like them, they reduce payload, are prone to leaks and mechanical/electrical problems.. but as I said that is a personal view and most newer RVs they come as standard..

I had very few problems.. only majors were a new starter motor and fuel shut-off valve .. pricey items to replace ..
If kept fed with diesel a Cummins engine will go on for ever, they are probably the most reliable and long lived engine you can buy..

Insurance as already mentioned.. mine was £450 with NFU including unlimited glass, with 365 EU cover

For the first year I kept mine in secure storage, quite expensive due to size, about £10 per week. ..

hope that helps, any more questions just fire away..

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi and welcome miriammagro to the site, hope to see you posting here soon, Also Next year please note July 8th to the 15th 2012, there is a RVOC/MHF meet at Rutland water campsite in Leicestershire UK that you are invited to when you join up as a full member, Like all the above members advice, RVOC will be the best bet for you, as all on there have RVs and what they don't know is not worth knowing, best of luck and see you over on RVOC site or on here as well, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
Hi Jules and John Newbies.....welcome to the madhouse.

Imagine all those years your surname meant nothing and now it is an in vouge way of saying beginner.

You can change your name by deed pol as a friend of mine did, he was called John Longbottom and was fed up of being teased so he changed it to Jeff.

Happy New Year to you and your family and anyone who reads this...in fact to all mankind and I even extend that to full timers.

Love Peace and Joy and may all your lottery wins be huge.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Welcome Jules and John,
l have a Winnebago/Itasca Sunrise, front engined V8 Chevy diesel, and l do not find the engine noise at all excessive.
Insurance is a tad under £400 including unlimited windscreen cover, with NFU. Fully comp, 2 named drivers, european cover, but no breakdown cover.
A slide out does make a vast difference in space, but not to everyones taste.
l like RVs for the space, comfort, and standard fittings, like a king sized bed in it's own bedroom, for instance.
l could go on.

Craig

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Always look at E bay for ideas

You could always look at Ebay for some ideas, visit a few dealers.. plenty of American RV suppliers of new and used RV's around the UK. As suggested check out the sister site RVOC.

Most of us took a long time looking to find the right rig. I have owned RV's for over 25 years now on and off. Had all the types, A, B's and C class... Had with and without slides... I find the slides OK and give so much more space in side. All depends on your budget. Lots of people have champaign taste and lemonade money.. or we dream which is OK.. but in the real whorl it is what you can afford to buy and run. Whatever you buy you will spend more money on... I had a budget of £30k and still managed in the first year to spend another £14k on it to get it the way I want.

Others have touched on licences... very important. as if you cannot drive a big one you will have to spend a fair bit of money to get a licence. If you have the grand dad licence you can go up to 8,250kgs Mass with a trailer or 7,500kgs on the RV. need to check that out first.

Store can be in an issue for a 35' RV .. plus even worse on UK camp sites, although there is a guide you can buy that tells you of the bigger sites for RV's... Camping and Caravan Club and the Caravan club will not entertain that size on there sites.

Pushers as stated tend to be over 7,500 kgs, but the odd one does come in side the weight.

When you have seen a few RV's in the flesh you will know what you want and it will talk to you.. but do look long and wide and check and re check the condition.. parts are expensive, but most can be obtained within days except window screens and windows for front C class such as Firan that are no longer made, one me,her lost one in July ? 2011 and is still trying to get a replacement... Older the RV the harder to keep it on the road (except main stream RV's like winnebago)....

Anyway welcome to MHF .. lots of yank owners on here and most belong to RVOC as well.

Mine is a B class and if you open the red link below you will get some ideas of a small yank.

Bob

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Welcome Jules and John, :welcomefunster: to the madhouse...... Griff:thumb: