12 week old GSD and now maybe a MH, are we mad?? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Hi,

Wife and I have looked on and off for about 6 months at the possibility of purchasing a 6 birth MH.

Being on the `large` side (me that is), decided there would be more room in a 6 berth even though there will be only the two of us and our new addition a German Sheperd puppy most of the time. Also wanted something our grown up kids can maybe use.

Having looked at quite a few dealers, think we prefer a rear lounge rather than a garage. Hoping to spend a maximum of 25k which we realise is not a lot in the MH world. Would probably want to keep bed over cab as main sleeping area to save the bed making and keep as much space as possible, also with full awning to expand living area. Ideaslly would prefer auto gearbox and cruise control but from what we have seen, going to struggle to find either, let alone both.

Biggest problem we are finding is knowing what is and isn`t the right price. There are so many different makes/models/layouts, comparing prices is not easy, that`s before you factor in any accessories that have been fitted.

From what I have read on here, buying private is probably where the best deals are. I assume that as long as the vehicle has had regular services of both habitation and engine/vehicle and has lowish mileage and long MOT we should be OK.

IF we get through the process unscathed, the plan is to have many weekends away at home and maybe a 3-4 week jaunt across the channel in the summer.

Brace yourselves, questions will surely follow. It seems like a very friendly place.

Steve

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Hi and welcome to the forum. I am new as well so cant give any advice. I would like to say though that I got loads of advice from here as we were looking to buy and I got an amazing deal from IH Motorhomes. I am pleased we bought from there because I have the confidence of knowing if anything goes wrong I can go back and they are very close to me so bear that in mind when you look to buy. ( advice given to me on here, no point having a warranty if it is hundreds of miles away). Best time to buy as well!

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Welcome to Funsters. You may well be borderline but then I have no medical qualifications. As for the motorhome view as many layouts as possible as it does not necessarily follow that 6 berths will give you more space, indeed much of the space could be taken up by beds you dont really need. Also beware weight limits for the overcab beds, some are only suitable for use by children. There are certainly bargains to be had but you need to be careful, make sure everything works and watch out for damp. Good luck with the search and don't be rushed.
Geoff.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Hi and welcome to Fun. We have a 6th birth MH an Autotrail Chieftain G . We also have a German Shepherd and a Yorkie. They love going out in the MH.

Attachments

• DSCF0050.jpg
    DSCF0050.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 43

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and Welcome from us too.
You also stated that possibly it was for the kids to use as well, dont forget that if any of them passed their driving test after 1997 they can only drive vehicles up to 3500kg limit unless they have taken the test for the plus element as well

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Its a mad, mad, mad, mad world, why should you be left out?:Eeek:
from your description of size required and full awning etc I assume you intend spending a lot of time in one place rather than touring. You are also looking for automatic gearbox and cruise control, lots of space etc. Seems to me you are describing and American RV and yes you can get small ones around 27ft or some even less and well within your budget, keep it under 7.5 tons to avoid license issues. however if you intend covering a lot of miles and moving every few days then maybe start looking at German vans for build quality and value for money, lots of layouts to choose from, almost all under 3.5 ton so no license issues at any age. German vans are all fully winterised which is something UK vans generally are not. Good luck
:thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi,

Wife and I have looked on and off for about 6 months at the possibility of purchasing a 6 birth MH.

Being on the `large` side (me that is), decided there would be more room in a 6 berth even though there will be only the two of us and our new addition a German Sheperd puppy most of the time. Also wanted something our grown up kids can maybe use.

Biggest problem we are finding is knowing what is and isn`t the right price. There are so many different makes/models/layouts, comparing prices is not easy, that`s before you factor in any accessories that have been fitted.

[HI]From what I have read on here, buying private is probably where the best deals are[/HI]. I assume that as long as the vehicle has had regular services of both habitation and engine/vehicle and has lowish mileage and long MOT we should be OK.

Steve

Hi Steve, It sounds as if you've given it lots of thought, well done. I've gone for the fixed bed and garage for loads of reasons, having made up my mind I would like a U shape or L shape lounge. So it is a moving feast.

Don't assume that buying privately is going to naturally lead to the "Best Deal".

There are many, not just reputable but excellent dealers out there and contrary to the thoughts that they "Just want your Cash" the more switched on dealers are more interested in a "customer for Life" than a quick buck, plus of course the peace of mind associated with policy grants and warranty issues.

The problem we have is the dissatisfied customer tell 16 others on average and the satisfied customer tells 3 others. Ask around, I know several dealers I would happily deal with and one of them advertises on this page.

Best of luck.....Griff
:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome as said above a six berth wont always mean bigger as our van sleeps 5 and is only 6m long but ideal as only 3 of us. Have a look at fixed bed in back and L shaped front lounge that way you will have loads of lounging space and no need to make up bed plus if your taking a big dog garage wouldnt be a bad idea as you will carry food and stuff for him.

Have a look at the older hymers nothing but good reports about them

Best of luck

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Our favourite layout is a 6 berth van with a rear "u" lounge and front dinette.
When we take family, grandkids etc it gives us enough workable room but when there are just 2 of us it's great to have the space. One benefit is that I can go sit up the rear of the van while the wifey can cook dinner etc in peace and lay it all out in the table ::bigsmile:
etc...

I dont know if it's allowed but I am in the process of selling my van.
www.apache700.freewebspace.com
The ad may give you some ideas.

MODS... If this is not allowed then please just remove it..... (PS,, I am gonna advertise it on Fun very soon. :winky: )

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Steve,and welcome:thumb: the most important thing that you you should look at is Layout ::bigsmile:It all depends on how you are going to use your van while away :Smile: If you are a park and ride type who goes to a place then uses feet,bikes,or a toad (small tow car)then size does not matter much.If you want to drive from place to place,park up in a town/village etc then a sub 20 footer is required.
I posted this a few days back
Hi go for comfort in your van. It is not a lot of use having a drop down bed if you cannot climb into it or perhaps get out in the middle of the night if you had too much wine LAYOUT / comfort is the single most thing you should be looking at We have tied all sorts of layouts from 2 / 4 berth to 6 to 4 again then 6 again and now in a 2 witch suits us great. Get out and look / try out as many bed layouts and don't be scared to put up climb in etc, etc, before buying Use one of the shows or a dealer to try this and get a good idea what is going to suit you then look for what you want.
Also try hiring one for a weekend or mid week this will give a good idea as to what you want
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The last bit may be your starting point.
You need to see and smell anything you are thinking of buying,looking out for leaks/damp etc,and make sure every thing works :thumb: that includes beds :Eeek::winky:It may well take an hour or two to do all this :ROFLMAO: but time taken looking at all the sheds ( beautiful van for sale) that people claim is like new,will not be wasted.As soon as you walk in some you know it is time to walk ::bigsmile:Good luck in your search :thumb: and don't be afraid to ask :thumb:even the what may sound silly questions.::bigsmile:
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We have a St Bernard in our motorhome

We have a 64 kg St Bernard that come everywhere with us in our RV.

If you scroll to the bottom of this post you will see in red a link to my RV .... what is an RV? recreational vehicle, of a yank. Mine is a smaller winnebago at 24'9" but fully loaded. cost me 3 years ago £28k .. lots of yanks about and you will get something suitable under the £25k mark. Just have a look, once you have seen in side one then go look at a eurobox and see the difference.

OK they do less to the gallon, but it is a trade off... how many miles will you do in the life of ownership? not all RV's are big... mine is all up at 5.5 tons and I haul a trailer with a family car on the back and I am still in side the 7,500 kgs plus the mass with the trailer of 8250 kgs.

Living with a large dog is not an issue.. you learn to work around the dog.. ezzie has her settee in the house and in the RV. She loves the travelling and we have taken her all over Europe. Even easier from next week when the DEFRA rules all change.

You will find lots information on this site from those that have done it and got the tee shirt etc.,

But you will find it a great experiance owning a motorhome, regardless if it is a yank or a eurobox.....even better with a dog... at the shows we attend throughout the year you will see many owners with there pets, including cats, ferrets, parrots, cave's etc., but lots and lots of dogs, in some units you may even see 3 or more.

But look around check out what's for sale.. do have a look at a yank and as I say look at the link below... useful to give you some idea of what you get fro your money.. by the way it is a four bed unit and has the usual large fridge and freezer, 4 kw generator and air con and heating all round (ducted)... These days it has a 6" mains tv we run of the 1500 watt invertor.

Bob:thumb:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I don't know where you live but I'd go and have a word with some dealers to see what they suggest. You wouldn't be committed in any way but you will get a firmer idea of what would suit you. We bought ours from Marquis at Preston in Lancs and they were very helpful. The van we finally bought was driven up from Plymouth for us to see. We have a 52 reg van with a u-shaped lounge which is massive. It takes 5 minutes to make up the bed and it is the best night's sleep I ever have. Our dog is small, but she sleeps up beside us all the time. The overcab bed is great for storage. ::bigsmile: Hymer's are real workhorses but the older ones don't have ovens and often only 2 cooking rings which can be useful. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi,

Having looked at quite a few dealers, think we prefer a rear lounge rather than a garage. Hoping to spend a maximum of 25k which we realise is not a lot in the MH world. Would probably want to keep bed over cab as main sleeping area to save the bed making and keep as much space as possible, also with full awning to expand living area. Ideaslly would prefer auto gearbox and cruise control but from what we have seen, going to struggle to find either, let alone both.

From what I have read on here, buying private is probably where the best deals are. I assume that as long as the vehicle has had regular services of both habitation and engine/vehicle and has lowish mileage and long MOT we should be OK.

IF we get through the process unscathed, the plan is to have many weekends away at home and maybe a 3-4 week jaunt across the channel in the summer.

Brace yourselves, questions will surely follow. It seems like a very friendly place.

Steve
Look at any american RV if your of the larger build as i am
you will find the American build is stronger than the euro models
plus you get a full size bed in a real bed room
our RV is only 25 foot long and has every thing you have at home plus more
we got our rv for just less then £25k
more power more comfort and a better build
i have had Mercedes ford german and English motohomes none of them are any where near the RV for price you get more :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have a 64 kg St Bernard that come everywhere with us in our RV.

If you scroll to the bottom of this post you will see in red a link to my RV .... what is an RV? recreational vehicle, of a yank. Mine is a smaller winnebago at 24'9" but fully loaded. cost me 3 years ago £28k .. lots of yanks about and you will get something suitable under the £25k mark. Just have a look, once you have seen in side one then go look at a eurobox and see the difference.

OK they do less to the gallon, but it is a trade off... how many miles will you do in the life of ownership? not all RV's are big... mine is all up at 5.5 tons and I haul a trailer with a family car on the back and I am still in side the 7,500 kgs plus the mass with the trailer of 8250 kgs.

Living with a large dog is not an issue.. you learn to work around the dog.. ezzie has her settee in the house and in the RV. She loves the travelling and we have taken her all over Europe. Even easier from next week when the DEFRA rules all change.

You will find lots information on this site from those that have done it and got the tee shirt etc.,

But you will find it a great experiance owning a motorhome, regardless if it is a yank or a eurobox.....even better with a dog... at the shows we attend throughout the year you will see many owners with there pets, including cats, ferrets, parrots, cave's etc., but lots and lots of dogs, in some units you may even see 3 or more.

But look around check out what's for sale.. do have a look at a yank and as I say look at the link below... useful to give you some idea of what you get fro your money.. by the way it is a four bed unit and has the usual large fridge and freezer, 4 kw generator and air con and heating all round (ducted)... [HI]These days it has a 6" mains tv[/HI] we run of the 1500 watt invertor.

Bob:thumb:

You'd think there was room for a bigger TV in an RV :ROFLMAO:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
You'd think there was room for a bigger TV in an RV :ROFLMAO:

I think Bob possibly forgot the 2 infront of the 6, most yanks tend to have a 26" tv in. Ours doesnt though we have put a 16" freeview/dvd/tv in that runs of either 12v or240 not everyone needs a stonking big tv

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Have looked at a few RV`s at a dealer, for the sort of money we want to spend we would be buying quite an old vehicle, my concern would be the cost of maintaining/repairing it, would obviously have a limited number of places able to deal with any problems.
Also been told we would be limited as to where we could stay in one, not sure how true that is though.

When you have not had one before, you can only go on how you think you will end up using it, how we do end up using it will probably be totally different. Such as the over cab bed idea, some seem to have a very small area suitable probably just for children and some we have seen have a bed that I think we could live with, but it could well be it turns into a storage area once we have tried it.

The fixed beds we have seen have often got the corner of the bed missing which would not be suitable and seems a waste of space.

Having read a lot about it taking maybe 2-3 attempts before getting the right layout, this takes me back to the biggest problem which I mentioned earlier about not understanding what these machines are worth. There are so many different specs for the same make/model not to mention accessories added, the worst possible nightmare would be to purchase, decide after a while to sell only to then find we overpaid and have thrown away a few thousand £££.:Sad:

The thinking behind the awning is to do with the seats in most vehicles we have seen, they do not look that comfortable for relaxing, the backs are much too low or the ones with seat belts too upright. If this did turn out to be a problem, the options would be to use the awning with some decent patio type chairs maybe. Again, impossible to know till you spend some time in one. I know that in some the driver and/or passenger seats swivel, but not all and if we had to have that it would limit our choice even further.

decisions, decisions.

Thanks again.

Steve

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
that's why it may be worth hiring one :thumb: you soon learn what you want.On second hand vans extras are desirable but don't really add to price,only easier to sell :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Have looked at a few RV`s at a dealer, for the sort of money we want to spend we would be buying quite an old vehicle, my concern would be the cost of maintaining/repairing it, would obviously have a limited number of places able to deal with any problems.
Also been told we would be limited as to where we could stay in one, not sure how true that is though.

When you have not had one before, you can only go on how you think you will end up using it, how we do end up using it will probably be totally different. Such as the over cab bed idea, some seem to have a very small area suitable probably just for children and some we have seen have a bed that I think we could live with, but it could well be it turns into a storage area once we have tried it.

The fixed beds we have seen have often got the corner of the bed missing which would not be suitable and seems a waste of space.

Having read a lot about it taking maybe 2-3 attempts before getting the right layout, this takes me back to the biggest problem which I mentioned earlier about not understanding what these machines are worth. There are so many different specs for the same make/model not to mention accessories added, the worst possible nightmare would be to purchase, decide after a while to sell only to then find we overpaid and have thrown away a few thousand £££.:Sad:

The thinking behind the awning is to do with the seats in most vehicles we have seen, they do not look that comfortable for relaxing, the backs are much too low or the ones with seat belts too upright. If this did turn out to be a problem, the options would be to use the awning with some decent patio type chairs maybe. Again, impossible to know till you spend some time in one. I know that in some the driver and/or passenger seats swivel, but not all and if we had to have that it would limit our choice even further.

decisions, decisions.

Thanks again.

Steve
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TRY AN RV FOR A WEEKEND THEN LET ME KNOW

I COULD LET YOU TRY OURS
ITS ONLY 25 FOOT LONG WITH ALL THE COMFORTS OF HOME
CALL ME IN pm IF YOUR INTERESTED

WOULD BE PLEASED TO HELP :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks for the offer, very kind. If buying a RV comes back into the reckoning I may be in touch. It is not at the moment for the reasons I mentioned above.

I did look at hiring but couldn`t find anything local that suited, plus at £90 a day and thinking we would want at least a few nights to be of any use, i would rather spend the money on the one we buy.

Thanks again.

Steve

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

<snip>

decisions, decisions.

Thanks again.

Steve

Hi Steve - just a few points re your observations above.

1. Over-cab beds - personal view - they're not the best for mature folk. Climbing up and down, especially in the middle of the night to visit the bathroom - not the easiest.

As it happens, we like the fixed bed arrangement. The tapered side is not a problem - it's only where your legs go - just need to sleep at a very slight angle so you can still lie out straight if you're on the outside.

2. Seating comfort - this was perhaps the single biggest revelation to us. We had caravans for a number of years, and as you say, typical fixed upright bench seats aren't terribly comfortable, even with extra cushions. However, if you get a van with revolving cab seats you've suddenly got two really comfy armchairs, that can be adjusted and reclined as you wish! Also they make very efficient use of limited space.

On our current van - Chausson Flash S2 - even the rear belted seats (squab) can be reclined to any desired angle too. So even though it's a sub 6metre van, we've got comfortable lounging space as well as a fixed bed.

However, our design might not match some of your other requirements.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Cheers, Mike

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Hi Steve :welcome:

We have a 2002 6 birth sundance 630L rear lounge / centre lounge dinner / over cab bed

Rear lounge used as double bed ( couple of mins to put up ) with windows on side and the back used for watching the world go by.

Centre lounge used for dining and watching TV.

Over bed cab mainly used for bedding storage and other light storage, We have found it not suitable for us as a bed old joints do not like climbing in middle of the night.

Awning not used very often and would not be on my must have list any more.

At 7m long it has had no problems fitting into French aires so far but large enough to make you think where can I park when in supermarkets etc.

Only 2 of us most of the time and have plenty of space for us and storage.

What ever you buy check that every thing works on battery / EHU / gas etc do not part with money until you are sure it is what you want and worth the money.

Jim has a buyers guide on here

All the best

Rob

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks Mike and Rob, very useful information.

Decided to look again with a more open mind re amount of beds, layout etc, basically starting again. Also going to look at A Class which we had pretty much ignored.

Most of the time it will be just the two of us and the dog. Interesting comment about the awning, the only people we know who own a MH (Autotrail Scout 6 birth), spend most of their time and cook in the awning, when they take their kids and grankids with them they sleep in the awning.

I have purchased the buyers guide which is very informative.

Thanks.

Steve

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Thanks Mike and Rob, very useful information.

Decided to look again with a more open mind re amount of beds, layout etc, basically starting again. Also going to look at A Class which we had pretty much ignored.

Most of the time it will be just the two of us and the dog. Interesting comment about the awning, the only people we know who own a MH (Autotrail Scout 6 birth), spend most of their time and cook in the awning, when they take their kids and grankids with them they sleep in the awning.

I have purchased the buyers guide which is very informative.

Thanks.

Steve

Hi Steve
If I was on site I would use the awning weather permitting but as I tend to use aires in France there is not room for a awning and with the weather last year awning had very little use. A safari room for sleeping in will be better for bad weather as they have more peg down points.

Rob

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi Steve
If I was on site I would use the awning weather permitting but as I tend to use aires in France there is not room for a awning and with the weather last year awning had very little use. A safari room for sleeping in will be better for bad weather as they have more peg down points.

Rob

Thanks Rob, just googled `aires`. I think it was probably a safari room I meant when I said awning. I can see why you might not use one much if using mostly aires.

I imagined (probabloy wrongly) that if you were staying somewhere for more than a night or two you would want the extra space a safari room provided.

There is a lot to learn.

Steve

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Steve
Camping and caravanning for 35 years and I am still a newbie at motorhomes.

Rob

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Hi Steve

Good luck in your search for a suitable motorhome. We had two dogs when when got our first motorhome and went for a rear lounge with a front dinnette and an overhead bed. We thought that the overhead bed was a good idea as didnt fancy having to make up a bed every night - however it can be a little claustrophobic and the dogs kept us awake as they wanted to join us up there! Not a very good idea as only room for two adults! We used our awing a lot but its best used in hot climates and not in the rain and storms that we experienced!

After two months and 30 nights away we went on the search again and got a fixed bed with a large garage under. The lounge at the front is great and with swivel seats as others have posted on here you have comfortable chairs to sit in. The overhead bed is useful for storage but we have never used it as a bed. The lounge easily converts to a bed and although a six berth we have never had more than 3 people. It would be very cosy with 6!

The garage is great and with dogs is a must. We show our dogs and find that it gives us useful space for storing all the gubbins that we seem to cart around with us.

We now have 4 dogs so no you are not mad (yet) as you only have one:ROFLMAO:

Kath & Howie

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks Kath & Howie, very useful. We have sort of come to the decision that front swivel seats are a must.

We have tried the overhead bed on a few vans, some like our friends Autotrail are quite small, others seem to be OK, but I guess you won`t know for sure until you actually try and sleep in it.

Been thinking also about how much `stuff` we will end up taking with the dog and whether a garage has now become more useful. We had sort of decided that the extra room a rear lounge gave us was of more use than the garage.

Mmmmmm

Thanks

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back