LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Having lived a couple of times in Spain for many years..

I dont remember the water back in the early 1980`s being as hard as it is...

We have been at Zahora for just over 5 weeks and we have had to descale the kettle a couple of times...

Noticing that we have unpacked our "Britas Filter Jug"... and that has cured the problem..

I know you can buy large bottles of water but I think a Britas and a couple of filters in with your gear is more financial benefit.. (Just our oppinion)..

We use the site Hot Water for dishes and showers... (We have paid for it so why not :Cool: )...

Just bought this to your attention... thinking of the inside of your RV.. or MH.. "Boiler"...:whatthe:

No need to thank me, just buy me a drink at "Marjal"... :Tongue1::thanks2::ROFLMAO:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Having lived a couple of times in Spain for many years..

I dont remember the water back in the early 1980`s being as hard as it is...

:whatthe:

No need to thank me, just buy me a drink at "Marjal"... :Tongue1::thanks2::ROFLMAO:

Hope you are enjoying the sunshine down there:)

our water is very hard......every time I turn the tap on I hear
"who you looking at pal ?"

barry:Smile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Exactly Barry...

Hey Mo... if that Spanish water is giving it "large" just say...

"Armada, 1588" and that should sort it out...

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you are using Spanish water and using the on-board boiler make sure your sacrificial rod is not deteriorated otherwise the boiler will not be long before its not a boiler anymore.......Its just another water tank.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
If you are using Spanish water and using the on-board boiler make sure your sacrificial rod is not deteriorated otherwise the boiler will not be long before its not a boiler anymore.......Its just another water tank.

My thoughts also.

Not that I am recommending this; but when we lived on boats there was problem of calcium deposits building up in the toilet pumping system, the cure was to put a little "Agua forte" Hydrochloric acid into the toilet and pump it around then leave for a few hours.

Doug...

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Our water is really hard here in fact last week the dogs walked on it :winky:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Spanish water is well known for its high calc content. It will totally destroy a MH boiler in a very sort time if the sacrificial rod is not intact. I always run my boiler at the minimum setting to try to combat this but if your boiler is not adjustable as some are then the only line of defence is the sacrificial rod.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Whats a sacrificial rod when its at home?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Whats a sacrificial rod when its at home?

Mo the OP has an American RV, all RVs have what I think is technically called an anode rod in the boiler,which collects calk and is slowly eaten away as a sacrifice instead of the boiler being eaten away. Not knowing as much about European MHs I presume they have something similar. If not and the water being used through the hot system is hard then the best way to combat the build up of the calk is to not have the boiler running hotter than is absolutely required.
Just something else to worry about :winky:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Mo the OP has an American RV, all RVs have what I think is technically called an anode rod in the boiler,which collects calk and is slowly eaten away as a sacrifice instead of the boiler being eaten away. Not knowing as much about European MHs I presume they have something similar. If not and the water being used through the hot system is hard then the best way to combat the build up of the calk is to not have the boiler running hotter than is absolutely required.

Thank the lord for that I thought it meant a stick someone tied the lamb to :):):)

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp

We have not used the boiler for that reason.. "Furring Up"....

I dont think we have a temperature setting on ours... Never found one anyway..

It`s either on with Gas or Electric or off.. Unless there is a temp setting thingy I have not found ..

Where am I likely to find it ???? :thumb:

Thanks Snowbird.. :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We have not used the boiler for that reason.. "Furring Up"....

I dont think we have a temperature setting on ours... Never found one anyway..

It`s either on with Gas or Electric or off.. Unless there is a temp setting thingy I have not found ..

Where am I likely to find it ???? :thumb:

Thanks Snowbird.. :thumb:
Try taking the drain tap out of the boiler and the anode should be attached to the back of the drain tap. If you have a water temp adjustment it will be adjoining the boiler switch. I think you can adjust the boiler cutoff on the boiler manually but have given all my repair manuals away with the RV. Sorry cant be of much more help Mo.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks Snowbird...... I`ll have a look when I get home... as said not using the boiler...:thumb:

And the way my luck has been if I try pulling things to bits out here I will *ock things up..:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back