Solar panels on the roof (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
As an ardent supporter of solar panels I have decided to think again about having them fitted on the house, that's if the government decide to put the tariff back up a bit.

While trying to list the costs, pro's and con's it suddenly hit me like a bolt from heaven, we are only home for 6 month a year. That means that for 6month every thing I may generate is nearly straight profit.

I am goint to give this a serious looking at.

Doug...

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
AH !!!
BUT when are you away ???
If it's the winter you wont be generating much....

I keep trying to do the maths to justify a system BUT it never works out as worth doing even with such poor interest rates at the banks.. :cry:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As I understood it you get payed for the units generated even if you use them yourselves?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We had a 4KW array fitted last month::bigsmile:.......just wish we had done it last year.

I can't see any reasons for not having them installed if you can get the 43.3p FIT and have a suitable roof......otherwise the panel prices will have to be reduced considerably at the lower tariff to to make the figures add up.

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
We had a 4KW array fitted last month::bigsmile:.......just wish we had done it last year.

I can't see any reasons for not having them installed if you can get the 43.3p FIT and have a suitable roof......otherwise the panel prices will have to be reduced considerably at the lower tariff to to make the figures add up.

Can you enlarge on the red sentence please.

Doug...

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I am seriously considering an air source heat pump which could provide central heating and hot water even in cloudy , frosty (as low as -15 degs ) weather.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

I don't have figures for these installations but I gather they cost a few thousand. Because unlike most other investments you cannot 'withdraw' the money you've paid, you need to get the whole capital cost of the installation back from the FIT before you are actually getting any 'interest' at all on your investment. I don't know how long that would take but possibly several years, by which times the interest on other investments may have changed and it may not be such a good deal.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Well, we thought of having them fitted but,

I was informed by a knowledgeable person that before the 25 years was up you would have to replace them at your cost.
They have a lifespan, but not sure what it is, but would not want to pay for them twice.

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
I am seriously considering an air source heat pump which could provide central heating and hot water even in cloudy , frosty (as low as -15 degs ) weather.

I once seen a TV program where a guy with some land close to a pine forest laid his pipes under and in a heap of bark chipping about 4 foot x 10 foot x 30 foot and he said he would get at least 3 years use out of it.

Doug...

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Yes I had considered ground source but I believe air source are more efficient and certainly less disruptive .

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Can you enlarge on the red sentence please.

Doug...

IMO if you have spare savings in the bank, at the current panel prices and the FIT at 43.3p it is a no brainer.
However if the FIT is reduced so it will be necessary for the panel prices to be reduced in order to make the same return that has been possible.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the firms installing them quote they will maintain them for 20 years, how old will you be then? Will you be bothered beyond that? I am sure most of us will not be worried about owt in 20 years time. It seems to me to be a great investment.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
the firms installing them quote they will maintain them for 20 years, how old will you be then? Will you be bothered beyond that? I am sure most of us will not be worried about owt in 20 years time. It seems to me to be a great investment.

Will that firm still be solvent in 20 years ?

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
What happens if you have these things on the roof and you move house?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm not too auf fait with the system Personally, but rather than encourage those that can afford to buy panels and reward them with a sky high price for everything they generate (in the name of global warming:RollEyes:)

I would rather take the millions the scheme will cost and subsidise fuel bills for pensioners.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
There have been several installations in this area and these have been fitted entirely free with surplus fuel rewards going to the panel suppliers.

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
IMO if you have spare savings in the bank, at the current panel prices and the FIT at 43.3p it is a no brainer.
However if the FIT is reduced so it will be necessary for the panel prices to be reduced in order to make the same return that has been possible.

OK, so if I understand you correctly, and forgive me for going on: at a bank interest rate of <> 3.2% over the life time of the equipment (or my lifetime) the bank pays more.

Doug...

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
I'm not too auf fait with the system Personally, but rather than encourage those that can afford to buy panels and reward them with a sky high price for everything they generate (in the name of global warming:RollEyes:)

I would rather take the millions the scheme will cost and subsidise fuel bills for pensioners.

Jim, forgive me but that is the first socially generous statement I have seen you make, am I miss judging you?

Doug...

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
What happens if you have these things on the roof and you move house?

The contract goes with the house ........so you should get a better price for the property as the new owner will get a tax free income from the panels

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

We are pensioners and it will subsidise our fuel bills::bigsmile:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
There have been several installations in this area and these have been fitted entirely free with surplus fuel rewards going to the panel suppliers.

I can't see the point in that system as you make little from it although there is little or no financial outlay....but you end up with a tennant on your roof which could cause problems when selling your property in the future:Doh:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
OK, so if I understand you correctly, and forgive me for going on: at a bank interest rate of <> 3.2% over the life time of the equipment (or my lifetime) the bank pays more.

Doug...

No........we expect initially the equivalent of around 14% & the investment to be covered within 7 or 8 years, after which it will all be profit::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back