CampingGaz in Portugal and Spain (1 Viewer)

fusbill

Free Member
Oct 27, 2011
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hello All - I have 2 x Calor 6kg gas bottles to go to Portugal / Spain for 7 weeks next year. One of these bottles is only half full.

My solution, rightly or wrongly, is that I've bought a 'pigtail' for my bulkhead regulator to connect to a full CampingGaz bottle. I've chosen this rout because I feel that the Calor I have should do us and I'd prefer to avoid buying a Spanish bottle out there for weight and space reasons. Also I have no wish to give Calor half a bottle of gas.

With me so far???

I was quite happy with this until just a minute ago when I read something that caused me to doubt that CampingGaz is sold in Portugal / Spain. The place I read it did imply that the larger CampingGaz bottles may be repainted there and sold as another brand. Hence I am now pretty confused.

Any experiences / comments on this would be appreciated.

I know CampingGaz is a dickens of a price here in the UK but wondered if it is any cheaper over the water.

Any advice welcome.

fusbill

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Don't know the answer but I can say that we have just got back from 9 weeks in Spain / Portugal. We took 1x 13 and 2 x6 kg calors with us, expecting this to be enough.

In fact we used 1 x 6, and the 13 still has some left so altogether we used less than 19kg. We did not need the second 6 kg.

We stayed in quite a few aires and wildcamped a bit, although we did also stay in some sites with elec.

Maybe this might help estimate useage.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I know CampingGaz is a dickens of a price here in the UK but wondered if it is any cheaper over the water.

Any advice welcome.

fusbill

CampingGas is widely available in Spain It is sold in large supermarkets and lots of other places. We paid €14 for a 907 refill (2.8kgs) in Cartegena last December.

A 12kg Aluminium bottle for CESPA gas was also €14 for a refil but rose to €15 by the time we left in May. You can pick up CESPA/Repsol bottles at junk sales and Junk Shops. They will not sell/hire you one at a normal outlet due to gas supply regulations but will sell if you have an empty to exchange. Bottle gas is widely available in most garages. The Cespa bottles are much lighter than Repsol steel bottles.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have never seen or heard of repainting in Spain or Portugal but seen a lot of it in Morocco. could someone be crossing the info up a bit.

If its the Algarve you are thinking of going to then you have no problems with Gaz plus you can get your calor bottles refilled at Olhao and Boliquem

Doug...

OP
OP
fusbill

fusbill

Free Member
Oct 27, 2011
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Don't know what site it was, sorry.

Although, judging from the replies I've had, they certainly had something crossed.

Anyway I'm sorted now thanks to the replies I've had.

fusbill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back