Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just a snippet of an idea..

Anyone camping or thinking of camping in Europe...

If you have a "Solar Panel".... nip into B&Q and buy a sheet of approx 2-3 Inch thick.. "Polystyrene that will cover your Solar Panel.. "Cost`s" a few ££££`s for a 6Ft X 4ft sheet, and can be taped on the edge of the Panel or pass string under Panel and over Polystyrene to keep in position.. :thumb:

"Why" ??????

We are staying on a site that the groundsmen keep the fir cones in check (IE Keep them Trimmed)... and cut them down..

But thought this morning if one were to drop off and hit your Solar Panel it would be a few hundred quid down the drain..

Obviousley if wild camping would be a different matter if you need the Solar Panel to keep your battery`s up..

But lots of sites in France/Spain & Portugal are within forrest`s and you have no option other than to park under them..

So take heed.. :thumb:

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
I stand to be corrected but I understood that Solar Panels have to withstand a test of a 1inch hailstone hitting the panel at 52 mph

Just how big are your fircones :Eeek:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I stand to be corrected but I understood that Solar Panels have to withstand a test of a 1inch hailstone hitting the panel at 52 mph

Fircone big by the sounds of it:winky:

Coat on ready .....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp

Bigger than a cricket ball and with nasty nobbly lumps on them... and the one that dropped near us I should think in the region of a kilo in weight..

And at Zahora (Camping Pinar Jose) I would estimate some of the tree`s being 30 - 40 ft high..

I wouldn`t want to take a chance that they do no damage.. for the sake of a few quids worth of Polystyrene or some thing similar to shield the panel.. :Cool::thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I thinkI would be more concerned about a dent in the roof! In fact, I would not park under such a tree.

:hardhat:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
I would be more worried about going outside or one coming though the roof light :Eeek:
But at least we know now and can be ready for them.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Bigger than a cricket ball and with nasty nobbly lumps on them... and the one that dropped near us I should think in the region of a kilo in weight..

And at Zahora (Camping Pinar Jose) I would estimate some of the tree`s being 30 - 40 ft high..

I wouldn`t want to take a chance that they do no damage.. for the sake of a few quids worth of Polystyrene or some thing similar to shield the panel.. :Cool::thumb:

Ah, I used to have something like that when I was much much younger!!!!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I brought one home that I picked up in the Sierra Nevada. It was VERY big but very light. I doubt very much that it would damage a solar from even 100 feet. I've never heard of anyone being knocked out or suffering a head injury from one. You'd have to make it a hard hat area.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I brought one home that I picked up in the Sierra Nevada. It was VERY big but very light. I doubt very much that it would damage a solar from even 100 feet. I've never heard of anyone being knocked out or suffering a head injury from one. You'd have to make it a hard hat area.

Only in this country, once the health and safety man gets wind of it!!::bigsmile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Depends just where they hit ya, as always.

I've had a nasty bruise from a ruddy acorn dropping from on high!

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Imagine the mess if it dropped in the glass of red :ROFLMAO:

But I only drink "Spanish Sweet White Wine"...

So that is irrelevant... :Tongue1::Doh::thumb::wine:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back