Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
hi Yosser,

May/June this year we travelled Normandy and Brittany for a couple of weeks. We splashed out and purchased Aires France

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi again. Sorry. Laptop decided to stall mid way through message. All the Aires France published by Vicarious Books.co.uk. we found very helpful in our day to day planning ahead. Not necessarily cheap, but it should do us for a few more holidays.
Sue.
:Smile::Smile:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Aires Book

New one is issued in March each year so might be worth waiting if you are travelling later. it is possible to buy them in bookshops here or in some supermarkets. In french of course !! We tend to buy a new one every 2 years as there are lots more new aires each year.

OP
OP
Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
New one is issued in March each year so might be worth waiting if you are travelling later. it is possible to buy them in bookshops here or in some supermarkets. In french of course !! We tend to buy a new one every 2 years as there are lots more new aires each year.

thanks we are looking around September

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Hiya Martin I usually buy mine from Eclerc when I get there, somebody might give you an old one if you ask, they don`t change that much.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Yosser, I know this is promoting another website but I was using them before joining this site ,found info very good on france & aires . motorhomingfrance.co.uk . sample page to show what I mean attached. I then printed a hard copy of area's that I planned to visit and took them with me.

Aires: BAVAY - CASSEL - CATILLON

Aire: BAVAY

ADDRESS:OPPOSITE SPORTS STADE, CHEMIN DE RONDE
TEL:03 27 63 06 74 FAX: 03 27 63 13 42
EMAIL: mairie.bavay@wanadoo.fr
TYPE OF AIRE: MUNICIPAL

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/ BLACK DRAIN

PRICES/ RATES:
PARKING: FREE /72 hours SERVICES: FREE
OPENING TIMES: ALL YEAR
GPS COORDS: N50.30002 E03.79554
DIRECTIONS: Exit N49 EAST of BAVAY & take D932 WEST into town. Bear RIGHT into RUE DES PLANTANES & then 1st LEFT (RUE E.MASCART) & then 1st RIGHT to CHEMIN DE RONDE -- AIRE is on LEFT.
SITE DESCRIPTION: Parking here is in a large lay-by (tarmac surface) next to a minor road & opposite the town football pitch. It is also next to a large public park & is partly shaded by the large adjacent trees. Aire has a basic artisanal service point with a platform drain. A pleasant, quiet location -- 250m to the centre of town, where there are Gallo-Roman remains to be found.
Bavay prospered and enjoyed its glory years throughout the 1st and 2nd centuries A.D. The barbarian invasions which followed finally brought the city's grandeur to an end. While the major part of the city of antiquity lies underneath the modern town, visitors can still explore a site of 25,000 m² containing the most important Gallo-Roman forum north of the Loire. Underneath the Tourist Office the hypercaust, the heating system for the Gallo-Romans baths, can also be seen.
REVIEW
2006 When we first stopped here, we walked thru the adjacent gardens and found quite a lot of beer cans lying around, which made us worry that we might have trouble during the night. However we stayed the night & it was very tranquil, despite being next to the road. Services are clean & free. We did have a bit of trouble finding this aire though.
Link Removed
BAVAY
Link Removed Aire: CASSEL

ADDRESS:NEXT TO FOOTBALL FIELD, ROUTE DE L'OXELAERE
TEL: 03 28 42 40 13 FAX:
EMAIL: contact@ot-cassel.fr

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/ BLACK DRAIN / ELECTRIC / TOILETS

PRICES/ RATES: JETONS FROM OT OR ST CECILE CAFE
PARKING: FREE SERVICES: 2€
GPS COORDS: N50.79326 E02.48852
DIRECTIONS: Exit A23 @ Jcn 13 & take D933 WEST to CASSEL. Turn LEFT into ROUTE D'OXELAERE at entrance to town (before CEMETERY). Follow the winding road to FOOTBALL PITCH & AIRE.
SITE DESCRIPTION: Parking here is in a lay-by/parking area (tarmac surface) next to a minor road & the town football pitch. There is some shade from trees; the parking is also used by Sports Club members so it can be a bit busy at times. Not very convenient for the shops, etc as it is about 1km from the town centre. It has an Artisanal borne & drainage grid -- a bit difficult to get to.
Cassel perches precariously on the top of a hill which rises 176 metres above the flat Flanders fields. The view from the summit across the plains seems to go forever and it is easy to see why there was a settlement here from Roman times. Itwas from here that General Foch observed the early part of the First World War. Besieged many times, the town has some of the finest Flemish architecture in the region particularly around the main square, the Grand Place, including the church of Notre Dame which is Flemish Gothic in style.
REVIEW
2007 Not the best spot for an Aire -- being alongside a road & not close to any shops, but it was in fact quite quiet at night. Parking was not very well arranged. A pleasant town however, jetons for the services are available from the O.T. in Grande Place.
Link Removed
CASSEL
Link Removed Aire: CATILLON SUR SAMBRE

ADDRESS:NEXT TO CANAL, OFF AVE DE LA GROISE (N43)
TEL: 03 27 77 61 16 FAX: 03 27 77 20 78
EMAIL:

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/ BLACK DRAIN / ELECTRIC

PRICES/ RATES:
PARKING: FREE/ 72 HOURS SERVICES: FREE
GPS COORDS: N50.07625 E03.64610
DIRECTIONS: From CAMBRAI take N43 EAST to CATILLON SUR SAMBRE. Take N43 thru village & cross CANAL, turn immediately RIGHT after BRIDGE to the AIRE next to the canal.
SITE DESCRIPTION: Pleasantly sited next to a canal with 4 spaces (on tarmac) reserved for motorhomes, with an adjacent picnic table and a grassy area. No shade here, but there is lighting at night. It is 300m to the centre of the village but unfortunately the Aire is also close to the N43 and hence gets some noise from the traffic. A basic artisanal borne with a drainage grid.
There is also a large car park on the other side of the canal -- back along N43 & 100m on right (little access road), plenty of room but no services, but quite quiet.
REVIEW
2006 A nice spot next to the canal but it is also close to the RN43 & hence suffers from road noise, but otherwise a well equipped Aire with a good Boulangerie nearby. A bit tricky to park if some of the spaces are already taken -- which they were!
CAMPING CAR MAGAZINE REVIEWED & RECOMMENDED 02/07: "An aire next to a canal; practical & pleasant with parking on tarmac -- pity that it gets noise from a nearby road."
2011 ". In a rural environment on the banks of a canal, this aire has 5 free spaces." RECOMMENDED CAMPING-CAR MAGAZINE
Link Removed
these come with their members photos so I found them a great help.

I would also look at aires map on this site as Heyupluv ETC has given some great ones. !!! Terry ( FIDGET):thumb:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
French aires

Yes you can buy in Leclerc but September might be a bit late to find one ! But if you find a book shop is more likely !

They do change but I agree there are enough around to find one from an old book ! They are not exactly thin on the ground :ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just bit the bullet and bought it ( Ok so it is the 2011 one but hey.. We will be there in a couple of weeks time so need it before we go not after ! LOL !)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
We also found that, having chosen a suitable Aire from the handbook, as we made our way there, we saw other 'Campingcar' signs as well. We followed these and sometimes found very attractive spots that were not in the handbook.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We always use the official book, it comes out every year, it has a few adverts and write ups in French, but the the site guide is easily read even if you don't understand a word of French as it uses a pictorial guide.

Why people strive for an English written guide is beyond me, a french Address written in English is still French::bigsmile: This book is always the most uptodate and includes more aires than most

Link Removed

I buy it in the new year from Amazon.fr It means that you get it as soon as it out. But its available everywhere in France till about June then it's harder to find as they sell out, but Amazon.fr has it in stock all year.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
We always use the official book, it comes out every year, it has a few adverts and write ups in French, but the the site guide is easily read even if you don't understand a word of French as it uses a pictorial guide.

Why people strive for an English written guide is beyond me, a french Address written in English is still French::bigsmile: This book is always the most uptodate and includes more aires than most

Link Removed

I buy it in the new year from Amazon.fr It means that you get it as soon as it out. But its available everywhere in France till about June then it's harder to find as they sell out, but Amazon.fr has it in stock all year.

OK Jim you sold me on it wheres the Fun link to it please?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its normally not available till the end of january, but this is the link [ame="http://www.amazon.fr/Guide-officiel-aires-service-2012/dp/2358390186/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324463638&sr=8-1-spell"] link[/ame] Don't worry about it being the French amazon, as soon as you log in it recognises your brit address and you get it no problem.

I think you will be over the water buy the time its out, so you'll be able to buy it at the supermarket.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Yosser (alias Martin)......since you are a good friend of Derek’s ...who is a friend of mine....:secret:..I will let you into a secret which are the best:secret: ...
Written in English.."All the Aires in France"........
Written in French..(but easy to understand)...Le Guide national des AIRES DE SERVICES camping cars,...known as the white (blanc) book in France......
These are in the form of paperback books.... which can be used whilst traveling..(this is just part of the secret:secret:)..and both can be purchased from Vicarious Books.....

These are NOT books.....Campingcar info is a good one if you are not on the move...You will have to have a computer with you, also you will need the computer on..... have the downloaded version memory stick /pen drive usb… or ..cd/dvd...if not you will need to be on the internet
BUT you will still need your computer on.....sometimes it may not be convenient, lack of battery power or other reasons:Doh:......or download and print before you go

Don't forget Jim's web site FRENCH AIRES...these are photos of Aires other funsters have been to, and would recommend to other funsters....so you can see what the Aire looks like before you even go there….. See if it suitable for you or not...
Or to research Jims French Aires site if somebody else has mentioned one to you…to see if there are any photo’s there .....

Believe me Martin I am a Doctor:Doh::Wacko::whistle::restmycase::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
as soon as you log in it recognises your brit address and you get it no problem.

All in French when I just did it. But it picked up my UK account details. €15 delivered.

How can shops survive this kind of service ?

They can't as HMV is about to demonstrate.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Yosser (alias Martin)......since you are a good friend of Derek’s ...who is a friend of mine....:secret:..I will let you into a secret which are the best:secret: ...
Written in English.."All the Aires in France"........
Written in French..(but easy to understand)...Le Guide national des AIRES DE SERVICES camping cars,...known as the white (blanc) book in France......

Mel

Yosser reading French
images

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
All in French when I just did it. But it picked up my UK account details. €15 delivered.

How can shops survive this kind of service ?

They can't as HMV is about to demonstrate.

You will get it just a couple of days after it hits the French shops:thumb: ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back