Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Since our Hattie will be coming with us wherever we go Motorhoming, I am looking for a solution to enable us to take her when we go out on the bikes.

Hattie is a Border Terrier and should weigh no more than around 6 kg when fully mature.

Although a young dog and fit enough (more than fit enough!) to keep up with us I don't want her running loose other than on quiet trails and certainly would not want her held by a long lead.

Thinking along the lines of a bike trailer (like this on [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0046SIIM4/ref=asc_df_B0046SIIM45752731?smid=A16QHM3PHKT0YO&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B0046SIIM4"]Amazon[/ame]) which would add to the storage problems but would open up shopping possibilities, or a wicker basket (like one at Halfords - google Basil Wiicker Dog Bike Basket), taking up less storage but still giving us shopping capability. Would definitely need some kind of restraint for the dog, though.

Any Funsters solved their problems with such solutions?

Steve

Had problems setting up the Halfords link.

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Hi
We have a Pom which we take with us and when we are on bikes he sits quite comfy in a whicker basket on handlebars. He is only about 2kilo's and old so he has not got any wish to get out and walk.

Merry Christmas

Rob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Saw a guy last year touring in France on his motorbike with a papoose affair for his Jack Russel. He had done over 11,00 miles using it & the dog seemed to love it. The dog wore a flying helmet and a pair of "Doggles" as well. :Smile:

images

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
might not work if you had a dog the size of bruno. though.
rest in peace bruno.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Seriously what about a kiddy buggy assuming its on a cycle
Link Removed

A useful link
Link Removed

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Perhaps like the link to Inner Wolf and in particular the nylon carrier for the handlebars.

Problem with the trailer is that they are quite bulky, although I do know they can be dismantled.

Steve

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Steve

We had the same problem this year with our Cairne Charlie, we went for the Walkybasket by Bice Link Removed as it folds flat when not on the bike. It did take him a bit of time to get used to it, we just pushed him around for a while then small rides now we go for miles. The ones that tow behind are large and not easy to store.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Link Removed

We had one of these for our 2 Border terriers.
Well we did untill it got burnt to nothing with £1,000 's of other things , when someone set fire to Ralphs lock up:Angry:
Anyways , we haven't replaced it as yet. So it shows how much we used it:ROFLMAO:
It was brilliant when we went to the IOW when we took the bikes ,and used them daily , but we tend to walk everywhere or get park n rides / taxi's on our trips mostly.
The wheels come off and it collapses. We stored it on top of the bunk whilst driving and it stayed up once at our destination ( either that or we collapsed it and put it under the MH). Good piece of equipment IMO .
Dogs were used to being caged so took to it without any problems. Remember a 3 mile bike ride would be a 3 mile run for the dog and 3 miles is no distance to cover at all when on a bike.

We found our Borders too big to steer safely using the baskets on the front . You can pick up second hand dog trailers on ebay. Make sure you get one which has a " double jointed " ( dont know the correct term !) connector. Meaning the bit that attaches to the bike. That way the trailer stays upright if your bike falls over.
Bev

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Both Bob and Jane and Diablo have dog carriers on the front of their bicyles for carrying Izzy and Charlie (Izzy is a cross yorkie Poodle and Charlie is a Cairn Terrier).

Im not sure of the make but dogs can be strapped into the carrier and there is also a rain cover. Izzy loves it in there and if it rains there is a rain cover.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1ABrTDoIHs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1ABrTDoIHs[/ame]

Its similar to these. I see Dane has posted whilst Ive been trying to add the youtube linkie.

Sonja

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I used use a front bag for susie to travel in but she used to stand up in it and her eyes used to stream with the wind going in them so bought a collapsible rear bag that straps on to the rear carrier and it has a dog restraint and wool blanket fitted on the floor of it for comfort .It's by friends on tour . thats the make and you can use it as a pet carrier to take pets to the vet as it has a handle on top as well as mesh sides .
Ps here is the link

Link Removed

I turned ours around so that Susie could see and feel me and wouldn't feel alone on the rear carrier and so not be frightened, she loves it, and her eyes no longer stream from the wind

Last edited:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We had a shoulder bag for our mini schnauzer, bought from a big pet superstore. She loved it, and travelled in the bag across my shoulder when riding, for miles. Attracted lots of attention! She was clipped in so could not get out.

When she got older and couldn't walk far we used this on walks as well.

Sadly she is no longer with us.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I would think the main difference between the basket or a trailer being the basket is no trouble on cycle ways etc with gates to get through where as the trailer's are not so easy to get through.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
The basket mode of travel will cause problems with the pooch getting it's hair all windblown :Smile: :ROFLMAO:

Jan 13, 2008
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 2008
We use a springer device

Link Removed

as it keeps our labrador safe and she needs a run after a long journey. Plus she is a little large to fit in my wifes front basket :ROFLMAO:

Newleaf

Free Member
Nov 23, 2011
East Grinstead
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Dog Transport

It used to be that I could cycle further than my Chocolate Labrador could run, then it got to about 50/50, now its more like 60/40, but try as I might she won't swop roles!!

Attachments

• ZoeTrailer.jpg
    ZoeTrailer.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Some great responses and thank you. Rather thinking that rear carrier or front handlebar solutions are best. Trailers are good and would serve as a very efficient shopping trailer but storage when not in use is an issue.

Thanks to all who contributed

Steve

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Funsters Si & Sarah (aka Dodgey) use a trailer to carry Shelby their little westie & I'm sure they find it very good.......if you want any more info wake them up with a pm

Campinggaz

Free Member
Dec 17, 2011
Redditch, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt.
Exp
Just bought one after 10 years with caravans
With that size dog I think the basket would probably be better then maybe putting a car harness on him with a lead that could attach round the handlebars to make sure he is secure. You will find once he gets used to it he will probably love it, Looking down at the dogs walking by!
I have a 2 seater bike trailer I use for the kids but is massive even when folded up, And to be honest is a faff to fold up and down so I leave it up most the time,
Wouldn't fancy my 2 lab x collies in it though (be a bit heavy)
Good luck

Campinggaz

Free Member
Dec 17, 2011
Redditch, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt.
Exp
Just bought one after 10 years with caravans
We use a springer device

Link Removed

as it keeps our labrador safe and she needs a run after a long journey. Plus she is a little large to fit in my wifes front basket :ROFLMAO:

That Springer thing looks ace, May have to purchase one for me and one for the other halfs bike one for each dog, Although I may have to wait til my Daughter has her own bike as she is on the seat on the back of mine at the min.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We bought a Trixie biker-bag for our Patterdale, Lily. She's only a small one weighing in at 7kg but we found it was too small for her, ideally it is suited to smaller dogs. Even though they claim it will take up to 8kg, it's the size that's the problem, not the weight. :RollEyes:

Trailers are okay but they can make it hard work to peddle, especially on any sort of gradient. We had a double child trailer buggy previously and they are very big. We now have a Halfords single child one which we got second hand and it is smaller and lighter, but still takes up a fair bit of room, however, the wheels come off and can be stored separately, and we could, if we wanted, put the main framework on the bike rack. We haven't used it yet as we've not really had the opportunity but hopefully will next year as I leave work in 2 days time and we'll be able to have much longer holidays.:thumb:

Front baskets are okay for smaller lighter dogs, but for anything heavier than around 5kg I'd be wary as they do affect the handling of the bike and if you stop and take one of your hands off you can find that the handle bars suddenly twizzle round and your bike falls over ... not something you want to happen with your little treasure in the front basket!

My preference would be for a rear basket of some sort which can be fastened to a strong rear carrier, something like the Trixie Bicycle basket (which is actually meant to go on the handle bars) with a wire top. Alternatively, you could use a plastic storage box, which you can affix to the rear carrier (drill holes for straps or even cable ties to go through the base), and you can then attach a harness to it to keep your pooch in. The advantage of a plastic one is that you don't have to take it off each time as the rain etc won't bother it.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Funsters Si & Sarah (aka Dodgey) use a trailer to carry Shelby their little westie & I'm sure they find it very good.......if you want any more info wake them up with a pm

Yup, we looked at different bike trailers and ended up getting the Halfords single child one, the 'dog' ones we found seemed to have a premium price wise because it was for a dog, daft really.

We find it great, easy to put up and down and OK we have a bit more storeage space but it does colapse pretty small, approx 2ft x 1.5ft and arround 8" tall, sits on top of our water tank in one of the outside lockers:thumb:

Being a kiddy one it has a harness in it but it has simple clips so we just clip the upper two onto Shelby's harness, simples really, stick a blanket in the bottom and of we go. Shelby loves it, sometime requires encouragment to get her back out, lady muck:Doh:

Riding, SWMBO does the towing and does notice it but not to bad, and we cheat, leccy bikes so if the going gets tough, she hits the button::bigsmile:

Shelby's around 10.5kgs, trailer probably weighs in around 5kgs, give or take and has the typical bike connection, big wobbly spring, with safety strap, that allows full flex, and as we proved, allows the bike to fall over without taking the trailer with it:Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Anyone still looking for a bike trailer, this one looks like a bargain at £65
Link Removed

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We have fastened a plastic sturdy box on the back of the bike, Toby wears a harness and is strapped to hooks in the box, he loves coming out with us on bike rides.

Attachments

• France 1 024 (800x600).jpg
    France 1 024 (800x600).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 46
  • France 1 023 (800x600).jpg
    France 1 023 (800x600).jpg
    97 KB · Views: 41

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We have a springer device for our big labradoodle and one of these [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycle-jogging-lead-1-00-2-00-black/dp/B00127F41A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1329896213&sr=8-4"] these [/ame] for our miniature poodle. The poodle weighs 5 kg and is 2 years old. He runs like the clappers and loves it. Actually he is far fitter than the bigger dog (and younger) and he can manage 3 miles no bother at all. If we were super fit cyclists and were going to do more miles than that with the dogs I would go for a trailer. We do have front baskets and find that a few groceries significantly destabilise the steering on the bikes so I wouldn't risk more than 5kg on the front.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back