Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
From 1 January 2008 a total of 33 German cities will require all motorists to purchase a "Pollution Badge" in the form of a windscreen sticker in order to enter city centre ‘Umwelt Zones’ (green zones).

The participating cities are: Augsburg, Berlin, Braunschweig, Köln (Cologne), Darmstadt, Dresden, Düsseldorf, Essen, Frankfurt am Main, Hannover, Heidelberg, Islfeld, Karlsruhe, Kassel, Leipzig, Leonburg, Ludwigsburg, Madgeburg, Mannheim, Mühlacker, München (Munich), Neu-Ulm, Nürnberg (Nuremberg), Pforzheim, Pleidelsheim, Regensburg, Reutlingen, Ruhr Area, Schwäbish-Gmund, Stuttgart, Tübingen and Ulm.

You must present your vehicle registration document at Pollution Badge (Umwelt Plakette) sales outlets, including vehicle repair centres, car dealers, MOT (Tüv) stations and vehicle licensing offices, and you will be issued with a badge, coloured (Red/Yellow/Green) according to your vehicle’s Euro emission rating.

The cost of the badge is understood to be between €5 and €10 and, once issued, covers you throughout Germany for the life of your vehicle. Failure to display a badge could incur a fine of €40. Enforcement will be managed by the police, local authorities and traffic wardens.

This website gives a lot of information (in German): http://www.umwelt-plakette.de
Also Link Removed

Safe travelling

Don

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
From 1 January 2008 a total of 33 German cities will require all motorists to purchase a "Pollution Badge" in the form of a windscreen sticker in order to enter city centre ‘Umwelt Zones’ (green zones).

The participating cities are: Augsburg, Berlin, Braunschweig, Köln (Cologne), Darmstadt, Dresden, Düsseldorf, Essen, Frankfurt am Main, Hannover, Heidelberg, Islfeld, Karlsruhe, Kassel, Leipzig, Leonburg, Ludwigsburg, Madgeburg, Mannheim, Mühlacker, München (Munich), Neu-Ulm, Nürnberg (Nuremberg), Pforzheim, Pleidelsheim, Regensburg, Reutlingen, Ruhr Area, Schwäbish-Gmund, Stuttgart, Tübingen and Ulm.

You must present your vehicle registration document at Pollution Badge (Umwelt Plakette) sales outlets, including vehicle repair centres, car dealers, MOT (Tüv) stations and vehicle licensing offices, and you will be issued with a badge, coloured (Red/Yellow/Green) according to your vehicle’s Euro emission rating.

The cost of the badge is understood to be between €5 and €10 and, once issued, covers you throughout Germany for the life of your vehicle. Failure to display a badge could incur a fine of €40. Enforcement will be managed by the police, local authorities and traffic wardens.

This website gives a lot of information (in German): http://www.umwelt-plakette.de
Also http://www.umwelt-plakette.de/umweltplakette/Ausland/Englisch/2008%20Webinfo%20Englisch.pdf?SID=q0j3lb93ftbufcg576a3aq6914

Safe travelling

Don

cheers Don,
top left hand corner you will find the language options. just click the union flag and hey-presto, english.:roflmto:

john.

sorry Don, you must have missed this bit.

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
cheers Don,
top left hand corner you will find the language options. just click the union flag and hey-presto, english.:roflmto:

john.

sorry Don, you must have missed this bit.

John,

I did not miss it:Smile: most of the site does not translate especially the info on the towns/cities.

Don

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Don that's all very strange, on the first site you can have a handwritten for €29.90 or a typed one for €39.90, so how come the second site can do them for €5? is there a fiddle going on?

This is all supposed to be official so shouldn't the price be the same? Good news is after 93 all petrol are class 4 (green) so all us petrol RV guys should be ok.

Olley

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Hi Don that's all very strange, on the first site you can have a handwritten for €29.90 or a typed one for €39.90, so how come the second site can do them for €5? is there a fiddle going on?

This is all supposed to be official so shouldn't the price be the same? Good news is after 93 all petrol are class 4 (green) so all us petrol RV guys should be ok.

Olley

Hi Olley,

It seems it's a free for all. :Eeek:

There's a couple of people trying the €5 one so I'll wait to see what happens.

Don

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
The 5€ just seems to be for Koln (Cologne) whereas the 29.90€ is for all towns/cities mentioned on that umwelt site.

For both sites we have to provide copies of our registration doccument ( more chance for id theft?)

Also it seems for whatever reason that they are not able to issue you with a sticker you still pay 15€!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
The 5€ just seems to be for Koln (Cologne) whereas the 29.90€ is for all towns/cities mentioned on that umwelt site.

For both sites we have to provide copies of our registration doccument ( more chance for id theft?)

Also it seems for whatever reason that they are not able to issue you with a sticker you still pay 15€!!!

Rita,

The €5 one covers your vehicle for all the Umwelt zones in Germany.

I think I'll wait and get mine the next time in Germany.

Don

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Rita,

The €5 one covers your vehicle for all the Umwelt zones in Germany.

I think I'll wait and get mine the next time in Germany.

Don

I have obviously misunderstood their web sites :Blush: So what is the 29.90€ one for then? and their statement re 15€ payable if they are unable to send you a badge/sticker?

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
I have obviously misunderstood their web sites :Blush: So what is the 29.90€ one for then? and their statement re 15€ payable if they are unable to send you a badge/sticker?

Rita,

The €5 and the €29.99 stickers are exactly the same as far as I can make out.

When the original info was released last year it was stated the stickers would/could cost between €5 and €40.

As always it pays to shop around.

Don

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the 5euro (why dont i have a euro key?) price is if bought localy in germany, the 29.90 one is for non german vehicles, but only if you buy a permit in your own country, in advance of your visit, via the snailmail/bundespost

if you buy a permit this way and, upon them doing checks with manufacturers data ect, your vehicle cant meet the emmisions ratings required (perhaps some old trannys or sherpa's ect) then they will refund 14.90 and the other 15euro is an admin fee.

buy it in germany and save 24.90euro. plus they'll tell you if you cant have one.:thumb:

the way i see it is if you want to drive into the city, you need a permit(but check the list on next post of city's and the zone start dates first) otherwise you are wasting money as it only applies to cities. use the money saved to buy travel passes instead.:thumb:

why can the germans charge as little as 5euro as a one-off fee but in ripoff britain it's upto £100 a day in the LEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Angry:

john.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Where and when will green zones in Germany come into
effect?

Currently the status of planning is the following:

01.01.2008 Berlin, Hannover, Cologne (Köln)

01.03.2008 Ilsfeld, Leonberg, Ludwigsburg, Mannheim, Schwäbisch-Gmünd, Stuttgart, Tübingen

01.07.2008 Bochum

01.10.2008 Munich (München)

in 2008 (Date not yet set) Augsburg, Dortmund, Düsseldorf, Essen, Mühlacker, Pforzheim, Regensburg, Reutlingen,
Frankfurt/Main

01.01.2009 Nuremberg (Nürnberg), Herrenberg

01.01.2010 Freiburg (Breisgau)

in 2010
Year not yet set Braunschweig, Darmstadt, Dresden, Heidelberg, Karlsruhe, Leipzig, Magdeburg, Neu-Ulm,
Pleidelsheim, Ulm

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
the 5euro (why dont i have a euro key?) price is if bought localy in germany, the 29.90 one is for non german vehicles, but only if you buy a permit in your own country, in advance of your visit, via the snailmail/bundespost
:

john.

If you guys are right whats all this about?:

If you live abroad, you can order a sticker from us in writing. Just send an informal, written application including a copy of your vehicle documentation and a non-negotiable cheque or 5 Euro in cash to:

Stadt Köln
Kfz-Zulassungsstelle
Max-Glomsda-Straße 4
51105 Köln

Thats seems to me to be saying I can buy in this country for €5.

Alt GR key hold down then press 4, that should get you the €€€€€€ sign.>:)

Olley

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you guys are right whats all this about?:

If you live abroad, you can order a sticker from us in writing. Just send an informal, written application including a copy of your vehicle documentation and a non-negotiable cheque or 5 Euro in cash to:

Stadt Köln
Kfz-Zulassungsstelle
Max-Glomsda-Straße 4
51105 Köln

Thats seems to me to be saying I can buy in this country for €5.

Alt GR key hold down then press 4, that should get you the €€€€€€ sign.>:)

Olley

it sure does Olley, i think this is possibly just for koln as i dont know where you got this info.
just went through the process of buying upto the last step and it says €29.90 for a hand righten version or €39.90 for a typed one and €15 fee if its not in one of the emmision bands.
thanks for the tip on the € sign.

john.
john.

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996

if you buy a permit this way and, upon them doing checks with manufacturers data ect, your vehicle cant meet the emmisions ratings required (perhaps some old trannys or sherpa's ect) then they will refund 14.90 and the other 15euro is an admin fee.

buy it in germany and save 24.90euro. plus they'll tell you if you cant have one.:thumb:

the way i see it is if you want to drive into the city, you need a permit(but check the list on next post of city's and the zone start dates first) otherwise you are wasting money as it only applies to cities. use the money saved to buy travel passes instead.:thumb:

why can the germans charge as little as 5euro as a one-off fee but in ripoff britain it's upto £100 a day in the LEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Angry:

john.

Thanks John,

Think I will wait until in Germany.

Generally I like to bus into a city if going rather than driving but I was just thinking of being prepared in case I strayed into a green zone and ended up with a fine.

Certainly if they can do it at that price what is Mayor Livingstone playing at charging people £100 or even £200 in some cases per day!! If not Euro 3 or Euro 4 compliant (vehicle wise). as usual RIP OFF BRITAIN

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
it sure does Olley, i think this is possibly just for koln as i dont know where you got this info.
just went through the process of buying upto the last step and it says €29.90 for a hand righten version or €39.90 for a typed one and €15 fee if its not in one of the emmision bands.
thanks for the tip on the € sign.

john.
john.

It came from Dons post, the sites is here http://www.stadt-koeln.de/en/lowemissionzone/article/11609/index.html

And a bit I should have added from the same site says:

We will enter your car registration on the sticker. Please attach it to the interior windscreen on the right-hand (passenger) side. The stickers are valid throughout Germany.

So as Don said they appear to be valid all over Germany, and for just €5. and that's for the life of the vehicle, so to my mind worth getting if you think you may be going to Germany in the next few years.

I think the reason red kens system is so expensive is all the cameras that are being put up around London to police it. I believe even now the congestion charge system makes very little profit for London and I expect this will be the same. But no doubt the companies that are running it will make a tidy sum.

Olley

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
emissions

Hi I have emailed Rt Hon Rosie Wintereton, Boris, London Transport and a lawyer

My Question
If everyone in the Europe is paying a one off fee for the lifetime of a vehicle then can Livingstone Legally charge £100 in and £100 out per day is this not a crime

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi I have emailed Rt Hon Rosie Wintereton, Boris, London Transport and a lawyer

My Question
If everyone in the Europe is paying a one off fee for the lifetime of a vehicle then can Livingstone Legally charge £100 in and £100 out per day is this not a crime

hi mavis,
im sure Mr livingstones answer will be...........
'cos i can and you mugs will pay anyway 'cos you're all sheep...........:Angry:
only in more political terms.

john

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks John,

Think I will wait until in Germany.

Generally I like to bus into a city if going rather than driving but I was just thinking of being prepared in case I strayed into a green zone and ended up with a fine.

Certainly if they can do it at that price what is Mayor Livingstone playing at charging people £100 or even £200 in some cases per day!! If not Euro 3 or Euro 4 compliant (vehicle wise). as usual RIP OFF BRITAIN

it looks like you get plenty of warning if you get near a green zone.:thumb:

Rose Royce

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
EPSOM
Funster No
My Question

This very misleading. The German system is very simple. Provide details of your vehicle and the De authorities will provide, for a fee, a badge which denotes the class your van is in. If it's red you must not enter the controlled zones. If you do, or if you do not have a sticker you will be fined €40/day. The BADGE lasts for the life of the van. Therefore the effective charge is €40 per day.

Last edited:
M

Mushroom

Deleted User
Umwelt Zones

Don't anyone get into a panic about the requirement for these stickers. There isn't too much of a disparity between Ken Livingstones thinking and the Germans - it's all a big money making scheme.
Living in Germany and having just purchased the necessary sticker for my vehicle at a cost of €5 (special supermarket offer price - normal price €7.50) I've started to notice that most other vehicles are also displaying the 'Green' badge. The irony of this is that my Golf V Diesel is not fitted with the latest filter and so each year I have to pay a hefty whack extra in respect of Road Tax. On the other hand, the same authorities say my exhaust emission is in the upper category and worthy of a Green umwelt sticket - cost of €5 of course. So as I said, it's basically all part and parcel of a money making scheme.
These umwelt zones DO NOT generally cover the entire city/town and usually cover the 'old' historic part of town etc. At the beginning of a zone you will see a sign displaying 3 circles - Red, Yellow and Green. If entry to the zone is restricted to vehicles carrying a Green sticker then the Red and Yellow symbols will be crossed out. I personally wouldn't worry too much about it - these inner historic parts of town are usually quite small with cobbled narrow streets hardly inviting to MH's. Now hidden speed cameras are another thing - speed at your peril.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
is keystroke Alt0128 (on the numerical pad).
A pain, but I imagine you could assign a shortcut. :Smile:

Don't you have one on the number 4 key at the top of the keyboard? if so its AltGr and press 4.

Olley

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Also Link Removed
Don

DO NOT BUY YOUR UMWELT PLAKETTE FROM THIS SITE AS IT WILL COST YOU MORE THAN DOUBLE THE CORRECT CHARGE - ONLY BUY FROM TUV SITES

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
The site in question is the first site that comes up in many searches for the Umwelt Plakette and you pay way more than double if you buy via this site. I didn't want anyone doing a search on here and finding the link and thinking it was OK to use. Who cares how old it is? It is still on here available to be found and then some German cheater lines his pockets with his ill gotten gains although all perfectly legal!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back