Portugal motorway tolls - still unclear (1 Viewer)

gowboy

Free Member
May 26, 2011
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Fiat/Benimar 7000 A Top
Exp
two
Hi all

...further to the earlier threads ref new automatic toll system - seen the Portugal Tourist site info which seems to be the most clear (?!) - but do not know if system is actually up-and-running.
Done a few kms this week on A28 south and A42 east with cameras and tariff signs in place: are they working? No warnings, no time to exit, no way of paying "after the event" in foreign reg vehicle (although Portuguese can walk into Post Office and do so over the counter).
Hoping to stay a few weeks, does anyone have uptodate info on what to do IF charges are outstanding, seeing as there is no way to pay? Is ANPR system advanced enough for me to worry if I get a pull in the future? Do we all ignore it?
Any constructive help appreciated...
cheers

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
We will be heading for Portugal after spending new year in Boppard, we hope to be in Portugal for approx 3 months, if we are unable to pay / or unaware of tolls ect and they send the fine or whatever to the uk, we probably won't be aware until April,..will this open another can of worms ?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I feel sure that when the powers to be have sorted out the method(s) of getting money from the visitors with foreign plates they will tell us...

... I find it very hard to believe they will have the resources (or the will) to be tracking down UK (and other) plated vehicles and sending (and pursuing) fines there...

... but I don't KNOW, I only "feel"...

My Hymer is Portuguese and, with twin rear wheels, is rated as a truck! Believe me when I tell you, I get off the motorway the moment I see the (new) signs warning that the electronic tolls are now working... just keep a eye open for the electronic logo on the motorway signs... I have always been able to leave before hitting a new pay section.

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I feel sure that when the powers to be have sorted out the method(s) of getting money from the visitors with foreign plates they will tell us...

... I find it very hard to believe they will have the resources (or the will) to be tracking down UK (and other) plated vehicles and sending (and pursuing) fines there...

... but I don't KNOW, I only "feel"...

My Hymer is Portuguese and, with twin rear wheels, is rated as a truck! Believe me when I tell you, I get off the motorway the moment I see the (new) signs warning that the electronic tolls are now working... just keep a eye open for the electronic logo on the motorway signs... I have always been able to leave before hitting a new pay section.

JJ, My people on the Algave and on the Spanish side will let me know if and when there is any indication the the system is working, but the feeling at the moment is that it is yet another failed project that has acidently found its way into someones back pocket.

Doug...

OP
OP
G

gowboy

Free Member
May 26, 2011
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Fiat/Benimar 7000 A Top
Exp
two
...after further investigation:

...well, went into Porto tourist Office today, expecting a load of flimflam on this - further to what other contributors have said, the TO man said "oh don't worry, the Government won't bother about chasing foreigners for toll payments", followed closely by "I'd love to go to Manchester to see the City-United derby on Boxing Day" . He was very knowledgeable, knew the (TO advertised) official line on toll payment and said if I felt "honest" I "could go and do a prepayment at the CTT (Post Office)", but for anything I might already have incurred just "forget about it".
So I toddled across the road and queued for 25mins at the central CTT to lay off some guilt and have some sort of peace-of-mind for the next life should I get pulled/billed by "prepaying" 10Euros for the (roughly 10Euros) amount I had already incurred on Friday. I'm a believer of what-comes-around...The CTT lady knew her stuff too, said the camera system "was running", but that "not many were bothering" to come in and pay :whatthe:. She did however thank me (caustic note) for supporting Portugal's politicians (I asked if my 10Euros was going into their holiday fund) - she held the line of "WTF...why should we bother, noone wants it, waste of taxpayer's money, white elephant etc". I thought "duck houses" and I was hoping the Portuguese Stasi weren't listening in or she'd be up the - errr- motorway.
SO I shall avoid tolls as much as poss (general rule anyway, you see nowt from a motorway) and try not to think why we as a nation are the only ones in W.Europe who bend over to get our arses spanked. I'm getting to grips with the Portuguese psyche - and it seems ok to me.
Porto was interesting though, not particularly tourist-worthy, but worth a visit.:Smile:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We arived in the Algarve yesterday, driving all the way from Vila Formasa border crossing and didn't touch a motorway all the way - what a fantastic trip it was, taking in some of the mountain roads and we must say the weather in the Algrave is glorious sunshine.

Nigel and Pamala

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
We arived in the Algarve yesterday, driving all the way from Vila Formasa border crossing and didn't touch a motorway all the way - what a fantastic trip it was, taking in some of the mountain roads and we must say the weather in the Algrave is glorious sunshine.

Nigel and Pamala

And the weather forcast for Faro is wall to wall sun for the next 3 days, enjoy.

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
And the weather forcast for Faro is wall to wall sun for the next 3 days, enjoy.

Doug...

Today's weather for Algarve, Portugal
20th Dec 2011 09:30
Last Updated : 20th Dec 2011 09:30 GMT

Partly cloudy 10°c

well, it's wall to wall sunshine in Suffolk and 11 c :Smile:

Link Removed

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Today's weather for Algarve, Portugal
20th Dec 2011 09:30
Last Updated : 20th Dec 2011 09:30 GMT

Partly cloudy 10°c

well, it's wall to wall sunshine in Suffolk and 11 c :Smile:

Link Removed

Ah but its 18 tomorrow and 20 later in the week from the link above.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Hot news, straight from Algave

I have just been speaking on Skype to one of my Portuguese friends and he tells me that someone has been shooting out the cameras on the A22 (this is the motorway that runs east/west on the Algarve) and that there is now a GNR car parked under the camera positions to guard them.

Doug...

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Well done Gowboy for doing the research and then sharing your findings...

Top stuff...

And Portugal thanks you for your generous contribution to the cause...:thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We've just got home from a 9 week trip to Spain but mainly Portugal. It was me that started the other thread about Portugese tolls.

I still thinks a shame that the authorities have made such a dogs breakfast of this. We never knew which motorways were or were not tolls, which of these were electronic only or how to pay. Maybe as someone said we brits worry too much, the chances of the portugese authorities ever chasing back to Britain seem pretty remote.

We really liked the country, people were very friendly, and there were lots of wonderful places for wildcamping or aires! Generally staying off motorways worked very well, although in a few places in the North there were few alternatives.

We were not quite so keen on the Algarve, preferring it inland near barogems etc.

We will be going again (by which time perhaps they will have sorted out this mess!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back