Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Hi all. We are hopefully going to Peak District over new year, weather permitting. We are staying at Beech croft Farm near Buxton. Does anyone know this area? We have heared about the Monsal trail and have been told Bakewell is worth a visit. Anyone been in this area? Not sure whether to take the dogs or go alone.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi all. We are hopefully going to Peak District over new year, weather permitting. We are staying at Beech croft Farm near Buxton. Does anyone know this area? We have heared about the Monsal trail and have been told Bakewell is worth a visit. Anyone been in this area? Not sure whether to take the dogs or go alone.

Some nice tarts to be had in Bakewell......

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

What ever turns you on. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

There is a very good market on a Monday in Bakewell, with loads of parking for your MH

I would think take the dogs as there is plenty of places to walk them.

Dove dale is a nice spot & a lovely walk along the river.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Never been to any of them in winter but Castleton, Ashbourne and Bakewell are all worth visiting.

Buxton itself is a pleasant town with two town centres, top of the hill and at the foot of the hill. Scriveners antiquarian book shop is fascinating and well worth a look. Buxton Saturday market was disappointing when we were there a few weeks ago though, only 3 or 4 stalls.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

From the point of view of riding a bike I know it like the back of my hand. Glorious countryside. Grand sights. All best enjoyed in warm sunshine, in my humble opinion.

Bakewell, where you can buy the famous Bakewell Pudding is a fine olde towne with all the shops you need.

Monsal Head is a great viewpoint.

Lots of caves you can go down, see Blue John Mine, Speedwell Cavern - if open.

The Dambusters playground is close and grand for walking.

Don't know if Chatsworth or Haddon Hall is open or appealing.

Gliding may be available at Great Hucklow.

Just outside Tideswell, direction Buxton a good carpark ( pay on foot ) and nice walk along the river.

Looks like the weather will be kind but you can never by totally sure in that area.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

No need for that, I'm hurt, I've only put on a few pounds...:tears:

The Bakewell Tart, not to be confused with the Bakewell Pudding, is a shortcrust pastry with a layer of jam and a sponge filling with almonds.

The Bakewell Pudding on the other hand is a flaky pastry, with a layer of jam and an egg and almond filling. The tart then can be covered with a layer of fondant. Only the pudding originates from the Derbyshire town of Bakewell, the tart originated in a box from Mr Kipling.

Two shops in Bakewell offer what they both claim is the original recipe pastry - The Bakewell Tart Shop & Coffee House sells a "Bakewell Tart", while The Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop sells a "Bakewell Pudding".

Link Removed

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Bakewell is nice, and they are PUDDINGS by the way. Also, Matlock, Matlock Bath, Buxton (which is always cut off when the snow comes), Ashbourne, Carsington water, Monsal head, Mansal Dale, etc, etc, Take your dogs by all means, they will love it. Fabulous countryside, much better in the summer though.
Enjoy.

Craig

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Never been to any of them in winter but Castleton, Ashbourne and Bakewell are all worth visiting.

Buxton itself is a pleasant town with two town centres, top of the hill and at the foot of the hill. Scriveners antiquarian book shop is fascinating and well worth a look. Buxton Saturday market was disappointing when we were there a few weeks ago though, only 3 or 4 stalls.

The fish and chip shop at the top of the hill opposite the market place is superb!

Craig

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Cat & Fiddle

The drive across from Buxton to Macclesfield on the Cat & Fiddle road (A537) is a great scenic route although is often closed due to snow in winter.
Macclesfield has (or did on our last visit) a working silk mill & museum which we found interesting.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The Bakewell pudding shop also does a brilliant meat & potato pie, eat in or take away. To enjoy to perfection pour mint sauce into the hole in the top, wonderful :Smile:

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
The Monsal trail is well worth a visit if you like walking or cycling. It has an impressive viaduct on it at Monsal Head and the tunnel at the south end of the viaduct has been re-opened this year, as have other tunnels on the trail.

Ashford in the Water, not far from Monsal Head, is a very pretty village but like lots of these places it's probably best visited in summer as there's nothing but scenery to look at. I can recommend the Ashford Hotel for what I consider the best meal in the area, but the car park would be very tight for a motorhome.

Bakewell has many visitors so clearly has many attractions. Personally I find it too commercial these days. (I was brought up there in the 60's/70's when it was a lovely market town.) It's definitely a Bakewell PUDDING! :Smile:

Lathkill Dale is a very scenic walk and can be accessed from several points, one being the village of Youlgreave.

Matlock and Matlock Bath have some visitor attractions, parks, shops etc.

Gill

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Eyam, pronounced EEM, is worth a visit too. A self quarantined village during the bubonic plague in 1665.

Craig

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Thank you so much for all your responses. I didnt realise there had been others added after my reply several messages ago. Looks like we will have to have a week there with all the suggestions. Its much appreciated.:Smile:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We stayed at the Grin Low Caravan Club site and you can walk from the site up to an old kiln through the grounds. Also, Poole Cavern is close by and you can get a ticket for a tour at the tourist shop in the car park. Here is a 2 for 1 voucher.

Link Removed

Your dogs will love it there, ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Cromford, and Cromford mill are well worth a visit too. Also, Black rocks at the top of the steep hill from Cromford to Wirksworth on the left hand side, amazing views over the Derbyshire countryside. Crich tramway museum is another one.

Craig

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Many years ago we lived in S Yorks and we bought the kids up walking and cycling in the Peak District.

We spent many fantastic days in the Grey Peak ( north) and the White Peak (south) District in weather from Mediterranean to Arctic.

Both are beautiful, the Grey Peak is a harsher landscape and Buxton itself is worth a morning or afternoon visit.

Hathersage is a great place to start a walk from.

In the White Peak, Bakewell and Monsal Dale are well worth a visit.

Chatsworth you could spend a day at.

Went back ( we live in the South now) and spent a week there a couple of years ago on a CL site 6 miles from Buxton.

You will not regret holidaying anywhere in the Peak District - just take your waterproofs!

Remember the wather is not the problem, it is you not wearing the right clothes thats the problem!!!

Enjoy its a great place!

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Thanks so much everyone for MORE suggestions.

We have just got back after spending two nights. We have had a fantastic time. We walked the monsal Trail into Bakewell, stopping at Hassap?, for a toasted sandwich and a lovely cappucino near the station. In Bakewell we looked round the shops, had a drink and caught the bus back to the site. We have also eaten at the Church Inn in Chelmorton, well worth going, I had medaalions of pork in mustard, oohhh delicious. Unfortunately back to work tomorrow but already researching next outing ::bigsmile:

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
You'll love it! As for a dog, yes!

If you like your walking then you will be spoilt. If you like your biking, then it's epic. However, a lot of the Peak District is pretty extreme mountain biking due to the rocky terrain.

If you do like walking, then head North to Edale or Hayfield and walk (or even ride, but its VERY extreme) Jacob's Ladder. It's amazing!

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
We do like mountain biking but not extreme (not fit enough lol). My partner was itching to get the bikes out on to the trail!!!

We do walk alot so will try Jacobs Ladder. We bought an OS map whilst we were there so will have a look, thanks.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
There are plenty of tamer rides (usually on disused railway lines) and as you are staying in Buxton, the Tissington Trail might be interesting.

Take a look at this site for some of these type trails - Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back