Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
Embarrassed to say that we have been motorhomers for nearly 30 years but I am still asking this question?!! Would not dare ask the "other side" lol. Question is "when you use shower and mabe both of you shower one after the other, you are going to use a fair bit of water, right?? :Doh:
Ok, ok, lets get to the point...!! Over all the years, we have rarely used our shower....ok, AFTER we shower (and obviously use water!) ..now for the question...if you then want to use gas heating in MH is it a problem....what if van runs out of water?? :whatthe:
We ared about to set off in a "new" mh and will want to use shower and also gas heating??
Thank you in advance, you lovely FUN people!! :ROFLMAO:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Embarrassed to say that we have been motorhomers for nearly 30 years but I am still asking this question?!! Would not dare ask the "other side" lol. Question is "when you use shower and mabe both of you shower one after the other, you are going to use a fair bit of water, right?? :Doh:
Ok, ok, lets get to the point...!! Over all the years, we have rarely used our shower....ok, AFTER we shower (and obviously use water!) ..now for the question...if you then want to use gas heating in MH is it a problem....what if van runs out of water?? :whatthe:
We ared about to set off in a "new" mh and will want to use shower and also gas heating??

I think we might need to see some photos to fully understand this one

barry:Smile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
You hit the nail right on the head.

Unless you have a city water supply (or equivalent) and a waste disposal point on hand it cant be done.

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Are you asking if the heating and water are on and the water runs out will it damage the heater?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The answer is probably not to run out of water. I use the van shower frequently and as long as the tank is full there is no problem with two showers as long as you bear in mind that you are not at home with limitless hot/cold water.
The Truma water heater holds around 10L and will reheat in 20mins (on gas, much slower on mains) so assuming half hot and cold you can have two showers as long as neither uses more than 10L (20 if you wait for the water to reheat)

I have no problem showering in 10L of water but the method is

1. Get wet, turn off water
2. Soap up,scrub whatever.
3. Rinse off, turn off water.

With practice no problem but don't think you can run the shower continously as you will rapidly run out of water. :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I dunno.. you just cannot get the staff nowadays..

To answer your question

The water heater, whilst often in the same unit, is separate from the warm air heater

if you run out of water the warm air heater will still work fine and without damage.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

I dont understand your question; are you thinking that it takes that much gas to heat the water there lill be non left to heat the van?

As to the amount of water a shower uses, we use about 5 ltr for 2 showers.

Doug...

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
The answer is probably not to run out of water. I use the van shower frequently and as long as the tank is full there is no problem with two showers as long as you bear in mind that you are not at home with limitless hot/cold water.
The Truma water heater holds around 10L and will reheat in 20mins (on gas, much slower on mains) so assuming half hot and cold you can have two showers as long as neither uses more than 10L (20 if you wait for the water to reheat)

I have no problem showering in 10L of water but the method is

1. Get wet, turn off water
2. Soap up,scrub whatever.
3. Rinse off, turn off water.

With practice no problem but don't think you can run the shower continously as you will rapidly run out of water. :thumb:

We have a variation of this, we have a small bowl with hot water which we use to soap up and wash. We only use the shower to rinse. We always have 2 showers a night and this works very well indeed. We have never run out of water.

Ginny and Mike

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I would think, if there were a problem, that you should run out of water whilst showering with the heating on...the truma would shut down/off....My belief there will be some safety valve/ shut off device built in.......
I think they run as two separate items ..so not a problem..but I stand being corrected..

Mel:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
It seem YES... as I have said...if you run out water you can still run your heater...If I have understood your question correctly

I hope this helps click the link below

Mel

Link Removed

Combi-Modelle

Combi models: Is it possible to completely close a warm air outlet or warm air line in the case of the Combi (E)?

How long does it take for water to heat up in the Combi?

In summer, is it possible to just heat up water without heating up the living area too?

Is it possible to use the Combi heating function without water?

Of course. The Combi water tank can be heated up even without water.

Why does the D.C. motor continue to run after the heater has been switched off?

Does my Combi water tank need to be descaled or sterilised?

Is a Combi D 6 E also available?

Is it possible to retrofit both heating elements in a standard version of the Combi 4/6?
Trumatic C

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
If you have been waiting nearly 30 yrs then you probably ought to use the shower, but the heating should still work if you run out of water, just make sure you have it set to heating only and not heating + hot water.(otherwise the safety cut out would operate)
Geoff.

OP
OP
gypsyrose

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
Sorry t was hard to understand what I meant...when I started the post all was peaceful here then chaos reigned, lol!! Peopel in and out, phone ringing etc!! :winky:
However, many of you managed to get the drift and I thank you for that!!
I am just afraid of something dreadful happening if water should run out and we wild park a lot so cannot keep tank full all the time.
Very helpful tips, thank you!! ::bigsmile::thumb:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Sorry t was hard to understand what I meant...when I started the post all was peaceful here then chaos reigned, lol!! Peopel in and out, phone ringing etc!! :winky:
I am just afraid of something dreadful happening if water should run out and we wild park a lot so cannot keep tank full all the time.

Your water is delivered to the heater by your water pump. If you run that dry you could damage it. However if you turn off the tap as soon as you notice the water supply running out you should have no problems.

The hot water is pushed out of the boiler by the cold water being pumped in so the boiler will not empty. That is why there is a separate drain to avoid frost damage to the boiler.

John

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
we wild camp alot you can get water from most Macdonalds they have an outside tap all ways ask the manager and not been turned down yet :thumb:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
This is what I like about this Forum. I maintain there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers. It is good that the OP was confident enough to ask the question without fear of ridicule (and I don't call the gentle leg pulling ridicule) and I guarantee there will be others who did not have the confidence to ask the question but who wanted to know the answer.

Steve

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
As already said heating and water are two separate systems - there are safety systems in place and the most important one is that when you 'run' out of water the hot water tank is still full - as John stated the water is pushed through by the pump so if the pump cannot push water the tank remains full.

Showering in the van - never do anything else - 40 litre aquaroll does 2 showers - cups of tea and washing up for 24 hours minimum. Our routine is fill the basin wash all over quick wet down of head shampoo hair shower on rinse off no problem at a guess I would say our daily consumption of water is around the 30 litres average :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back