Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
We are off to Brugge on Saturday, staying at Camping Memling. I'm not sure how much they will get, but it's looking like the snow might be heavy in Belgium on Friday night.

We've no chains (or never used them), apart from the ring road and road out to Memling, it'll be Motorway all the way? Do I rush out and get some chains (not sure where you can get them in the UK quickly) or what do you think about snow socks?

If I'm right doesn't France have a mandatory requirement for chains when needed? Of course, I'm moving through France to get the Belgium, but again, all on Motorway.

Just wondered what peoples thoughts are?

EDIT: Ah well, just realised that I can't fit chains anyway as the tyres are too wide on our MK7 Transit, so it'll have to be socks or nothing.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
socks will last two minutes on a wet road so be prepared to fit and remove often. !

chains are designed to cut through/into ice to gain grip and will wear quickly on fresh/soft snow

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Thanks for the help.

Towequip have some socks to fit and they are not too far away, so I'll collect them tomorrow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I would not be too worried heading to Brugge....

I lived in Northern France for over 10 years. Never saw anyone use snow chains.

Also the main routes are normally reasonably well looked after.

Also freshly fallen snow directly onto the roads is not really what chains are meant to work on.

I would definitely consider decent socks, but only to make sure you keep your little tootsies warm as toast....:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
A bit of an oversight on Fords part!

I suppose they wouldn't expect buyers in colder climes to go for a FWD chassis for commercial use.
If you need more traction, you could make everyone get into the overcab bed!!!!!::bigsmile:

Have a good trip Craig.

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
:thumb:Thanks! Really looking forward to it as it's our first across the water.

Ford states that if you have these tyres fitted, then for chains, you must change to the smaller 195 tyre.

The fact that there isn't even any signs of snow this morning, they may have over estimated. Looks like the forecast for Belgium has changed too.

In the meantime, I'm also trying to find out if these fit -

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
You should be able to find a whole thread about the chains. The thread was opened by Haganap. So just ask for an "advanced search":winky:

Do I rush out and get some chains (not sure where you can get them in the UK quickly) or what do you think about snow socks?

If you feel safer to have chains with you then just buy them , no matter what is the law.... don't you think??

If I'm right doesn't France have a mandatory requirement for chains when needed? Of course, I'm moving through France to get the Belgium, but again, all on Motorway.

NO ! If you are on motorways you don't NEED (law only!) to have chains fitted on your wheels ! If you escape from the motorway (and you never know what might happen...) and find yourself in a moutains area , then you might have to have chains with you , in case some local rule obliges you to fit them . Now if you don't have chains with you , and such a case happens , then , you will just have to turn round and change route!

Hope it is clear enough:Smile:

I , as a car driver , don't care. If it snows where I want to go , well I don't go . Unless like last year i have an important thing to do . So last year I crossed all the country to move my daughter to her new flat in Paris ...... Been driving AGES..... at 20kms/hour without chains:Eeek::Eeek:

Amicalement

:Smile:Frankie:Smile:

Last edited:

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I have a set of chains for our MK7 never had to use them though but bought to go to Switzerland for christmas a few years ago, its twin rear wheels and they go on the outer set Gray.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If the roads are so bad that you need to chain up to travel,my suggestion is park up and put the kettle on until the snowplough has been through. I bought snow-chains when I first started motor-homing years ago so that I could transit Andora. Have never used them since. If the roads are that dangerous that you require snow-chains to move,its best not to. I can understand carrying chains in a car,but not in a motorhome. You have all the conveniences of a house on wheels.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
We are off to Brugge on Saturday, staying at Camping Memling. I'm not sure how much they will get, but it's looking like the snow might be heavy in Belgium on Friday night.

We've no chains (or never used them), apart from the ring road and road out to Memling, it'll be Motorway all the way? Do I rush out and get some chains (not sure where you can get them in the UK quickly) or what do you think about snow socks?

EDIT: Ah well, just realised that I can't fit chains anyway as the tyres are too wide on our MK7 Transit, so it'll have to be socks or nothing.

My answer to this problem is to make sure you are so far south for the winter that chains or no chains is not a subject you need to think about.

Doug...

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I was informed it was the law to carry chains between certain dates in certain countrys i dont think i would want to chain up its a pain so agree with the above if you need chains dont move it can go wrong rapid id rather drink tea anyway :thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If anyone's in France and wants to pick up a cheap set of chains, try a Troc. I was in one in Perigueux last week. About 9 sets, all in cases or original bags at €5-€15.

I've got a set, no idea how I'd fit them alone and like others would park up & put the kettle on.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
No France does not have a mandatory requirement for snow chains, except in Mountain areas
eg. Alpine regions, and then only on certain roads, which are normally signed to advise before entry.eg. final aproach to Mont Blanc Tunnel.

Dont think you would be looking to purchase chains for your journey to say Dover, as I presume this is your port of exit. You certainly wont encounter roads any more difficult to
transit on your short trip to Brugge.

Regards
Steve

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Craig, if you think how you would approach the threat of snow in the UK it would be similar to how to behave in most of France and Belgium, it's that simple.

As written, it's the Alpine regions that have chain requirements in certain conditions, but not all the time in all alpine regions.
If the conditions arise you are advised that a few kms ahead chains will be required so you have the option to turn around or fit chains.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back