internet access (1 Viewer)

mumbear

Free Member
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
Hi everyone :thumb:

Does anyone know an affordable way to connect to the Internet while touring Europe - other than using an Internet Cafe ? :roflmto:

If so could you let me know - in very simple language, suitable for a PC dimbo !:Blush:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi mumbear, their are loads of free wi-fi spots all over Europe, Mcdonalds for a start, I felt obliged to buy a cuppa, but you don't have to. Many libraries also have them or join "Fon" via BT, see here: Link Removed

I use a mixture of datacard (about £5 per meg download) and freespots.

Olley

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hope to log on using my wireless dongle in France this year, hopefully on sites or if on aires, park up at McDs.
:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Gill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

2escapees

Deleted User
Gill

Hi

Wifi (weefee as they say here) is available in some larger Aires on autoroutes but you have to pay. McD don't seem that advanced but many sites have it with a limited range from reception.

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi

Me and the old man have got a job for a holiday company as campsite couriers this summer in S. Burgendy.
Hopefully the companies reception van will be near enough to main reception for me to use their wifi connection, if it's on password we'll try and do a deal with the owners. If too far I will have to sit under a tree!!!!
As the job is for 6 months we can take our van to live in so I can top the battery up etc.. The laptop will also be useful for watching DVDs.
Can you tell me if it is worth buying a DAB radio to help us get the world service in France as we have never been able to pick it up on an ordinary radio.
Thanks
Gill

2escapees

Deleted User
Sorry DAB won't help get BBC and long wave is quiet poor although we have it on at the moment and it reasonable. if the site has wifi just go the the BBC website and listen over the internet!

www.bbc.co.uk/radio4

or do as we have done buy an ipod and get the bbc podcasts there all free and you can listen when you like.

:thumb:

OP
OP
M

mumbear

Free Member
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
Hi mumbear, their are loads of free wi-fi spots all over Europe, Mcdonalds for a start, I felt obliged to buy a cuppa, but you don't have to. Many libraries also have them or join "Fon" via BT, see here: Link Removed

I use a mixture of datacard (about £5 per meg download) and freespots.

Olley

We tried McD once last year (in Portugal) but couldn't get a strong enough signal to be useful.

We saw a programme - The Gadget Show - which included a piece on a gizmo from Micronet which is used in conjunction with a 3G phone ( I think :Confused:).
I checked their website and actually spoke to a gentleman there to ask exactly what we needed but his answer left me none the wiser - I did say I was a PC dimbo!! Have you come across this ?

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
More and more campsites abroad are providing wifi and in a lot of cases it is free or available for a nominal fee. Campsites in towns are often near hotels who also have free access points much like McDonald's.

Phil.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We tried McD once last year (in Portugal) but couldn't get a strong enough signal to be useful.

Hi do you mean outside or inside? I found that you have to move around sometimes inside to get a good signal, it depends where they have put the access point, if there's a solid brick wall between you and it then you may have trouble, but I just moved to another seat and tried again.

Once I had connected it was a good solid connection, at broadband speeds, only possible reason in my mind to go to Mcdonalds, as I think there "food" is crap. >:)

Olley

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi, Gill

If you are to far away then you may be intereted in this site, you will still need the access key if there is one but distance as long as there is a line of site shouldn't be a problem. I haven't tried I'm only quoting the write-ups but i have purchased all the bits so i will try to make one soon as the idea seems quite simple ?

Link Removed

hope that helps

Brian

Hi

Hopefully the companies reception van will be near enough to main reception for me to use their wifi connection, if it's on password we'll try and do a deal with the owners. If too far I will have to sit under a tree!!!!
Gill

OP
OP
M

mumbear

Free Member
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
Hi do you mean outside or inside? I found that you have to move around sometimes inside to get a good signal, it depends where they have put the access point, if there's a solid brick wall between you and it then you may have trouble, but I just moved to another seat and tried again.

Once I had connected it was a good solid connection, at broadband speeds, only possible reason in my mind to go to Mcdonalds, as I think there "food" is crap. >:)

Olley

Aaaahhhhhhh !! We were outside >:)

Didn't realise you had to be inside ! I think we'd have to eat as well at the McD thats near to where we usually stay - its never very full and they're not very friendly !

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks Brian
That's an amazing idea and I'm printing it all off to work on. I'm sure there is a wok in the garage somewhere!!:Smile::Smile::Smile:
Regards
Gill

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Keep a look out at tourist offices. Sometimes internet is FREE or a small fee. Some places let you use your own laptop either FREE or small fee either WiFi or can use their cable in your laptop. some internet cafes have WiFi but you have to pay unless it is a place selling drink and then you can have free WiFi.

It is usefull to buy a WiFi/Hotspot finder. I bought one from Maplin but you can get them on E-bay as well.

At Casteil in France the tourist office advertised WiFi but it turned out you had to pay 10€ which gave 3 hours of internet useage, (if you have an Orange contract you might not have to pay again). Still I did get quite a bit of useage from this.

I have bought a 3 USB modem which gives me 3Gb for £15 a month and I haven't used my full allowance each month so far. Unfortunately can't use it in France for that price, have to pay extra. HOWEVER you can use it in Italy and Austria for that price and some other countries but forget which. Hopefully "Three (3)" will cover France oneday!! Vodafone is a bit pricey for the same sort of thing but of course better coverage.

OP
OP
M

mumbear

Free Member
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
Keep a look out at tourist offices. Sometimes internet is FREE or a small fee. Some places let you use your own laptop either FREE or small fee either WiFi or can use their cable in your laptop. some internet cafes have WiFi but you have to pay unless it is a place selling drink and then you can have free WiFi.

It is usefull to buy a WiFi/Hotspot finder. I bought one from Maplin but you can get them on E-bay as well.

At Casteil in France the tourist office advertised WiFi but it turned out you had to pay 10€ which gave 3 hours of internet useage, (if you have an Orange contract you might not have to pay again). Still I did get quite a bit of useage from this.

I have bought a 3 USB modem which gives me 3Gb for £15 a month and I haven't used my full allowance each month so far. Unfortunately can't use it in France for that price, have to pay extra. HOWEVER you can use it in Italy and Austria for that price and some other countries but forget which. Hopefully "Three (3)" will cover France oneday!! Vodafone is a bit pricey for the same sort of thing but of course better coverage.

Hi Rita

Thanks for your help

Which 3 USB modem have you got and which mobile phone contract ? How can I find out which countries I could use it in ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back