Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
I was talking to SVTECH this morning re uprating the van, I was told what required info I nead to supply, but was put off by the info that has it as got an Alco chassis they can't uprate the back axle carrying rate, most off my load space is to the rear so what would be the advantage in haveing the uprating, any thoughts on this please. Pete :Sad::Sad:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
difficult to answer as we dont know what its rated at now or what your van is rated at.
maybe you could change the axle.
not all vans are capable of up rating . the ones built to a higher spec yes.

OP
OP
peter marshall

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
difficult to answer as we dont know what its rated at now or what your van is rated at.
maybe you could change the axle.
not all vans are capable of up rating . the ones built to a higher spec yes.

Hi
Gross 3500, back axle 2000, van 3020, leaving 480, minus bit's as standard, my thought's were has the main storage is to the rear ie under the bed and the rear full height locker, not increasing the axle would be pointless doing it. pete :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you could well be right . i imagine the max you could possibly go is 3800. but that might not suit you.maybe better to buy another vehicle. unfortunately the makers dont really care about the end users. that does seem low for a 3,500kg gvw . more in line with a 3-3,200kg vehicle. maybe yours is pushed to the limit already. nothing strange to have rear axle weights at about 2600kg on original 3,500kg gvw vans .you must be unlucky.
whats the max on the front

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Al-Ko themselves specify what your rear axle can carry and it cant be uprated (since I last asked, anyway).

The only option is to fit a new, heavier duty rear axle from Al-Ko - several thousand pounds' worth, unfortunately :RollEyes:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi
I was talking to SVTECH this morning re uprating the van, I was told what required info I nead to supply, but was put off by the info that has it as got an Alco chassis they can't uprate the back axle carrying rate, most off my load space is to the rear so what would be the advantage in haveing the uprating, any thoughts on this please. Pete :Sad::Sad:
toss it in PX for a nice RV loads of space lots of power and comfort like a 5star hotel simples :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi
Gross 3500, back axle 2000, van 3020, leaving 480, minus bit's as standard, my thought's were has the main storage is to the rear ie under the bed and the rear full height locker, not increasing the axle would be pointless doing it. pete :Eeek:
it may be, as it already has an Alko-kober chassis, that it is already uprated but not on paper.
converters dont always use the stated gross and can downrate to capture a bigger market...ie, under 3500kg for post '97 driving licence etc.

not sure if there is an Alko serial/part number stamped on the axle tube which can be cross referenced, but worth making enquiries.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
or even better px it in and get a real nice mini artic conversion. dont need to have a toad dangling on the back. can have more space than an rv. and have a far heavier total vehicle weight driven on a car licence. (pre 97)and be more manouverable .:RollEyes:
pluscheaper on ferry as its a car and caravan..

OP
OP
peter marshall

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi All
Thanks for your replies but I think I will leave it has it is, as for changing to something bigger parking would be a problem, and more than likely I would have to change again in 4 years with the weight limits at 70 and could be a expensive option. Pete :thumb::thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, changing for a bigger gvw wouldnt change the size of the m,home.
shame though if parking is restricted . at 70 if you get a 3,500kg gvw unit you can pull lots of train weight at 70 .even over the 8250kg of the c1+e licence. use b+e. but shame if yours as the lower weight axle. cant win them all.
sv tec are the boys ,gareth up there is very helpfull and knowledgable.

OP
OP
peter marshall

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi All
Thanks for your replies but I think I will leave it has it is, as for changing to something bigger parking would be a problem, and more than likely I would have to change again in 4 years with the weight limits at 70 and could be a expensive option. Pete :thumb::thumb:

A change of mind, I loaded up the van today and took it to a weight bridge, not fully loaded but all the big bits in under the bed and a full tank of diesel, no water but lots of other stuff, back axle under at 1850 so thats ok, but the mass was 3530, so I have been on to sv tech and I will have an extra 200 kg with no modifications, so that will do. Pete :thumb::thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Before you go ahead with the upgrade, have you spoken to Alko-Kober in Southam (Warks)? According to their motorhome chassis brochure, the chassis are made in two standard configurations: 3,850 kg and 5,000 kg. It does not say what the rear maximum axle loading is, but at 3,850 gross, I would expect the rear to be over 2,000 kg. Might be worth talking to them first.
http://www.al-ko.co.uk/pages/contact-us.html

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back