The 'Tranny' goes Stateside.. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Europe’s Ford Transit van RV platform coming to the US

The Ford Transit was judged the best base vehicle by Britain’s Motorcaravan Motorhome Monthly (MMM) magazine in both 2008 and 2009. In 2010, Practical Motorhome magazine voted Auto-Trail’s Tribute T620 motorhome - based on the Ford Transit chassis - the best budget-buy motorhome and the overall motorhome of the year. The magazine also voted the Tribute T720 – again on the Transit chassis - as runner-up in the best family motorhome category.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
That's great news for the Tranny.

Reading the report, I didn't realise the the Transit was available in AWD, just had a scout around for it and :thumb:. Probably like Rocking Horse doo doo as most of the other AWD vans are.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Wondered what you were talking about from the header.

In my (distant) youth a tranny was a radio, now it seems to be someone who wishes to transfer gender (or a van). Funny how words change, the flintstones can no longer have a gay old time, and Dr Watson was quite happy to leave incontinently(i.e. in a hurry) in Victorian times without fear of wetting himself.:roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Wow!! Thats great news for everyone isnt it??

At long last European motorhome builders will be given a masterclass in how to build a proper motorhome, suitable for day to day use with all the comforts of home. Pretty sure the yanks will do a beefed up version with greater weight capacity to allow them to fit slideouts etc.

Good news for the treehuggers as well :thumb::thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Is a Ford Transit British/European?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
They don't have Trannys in the states - not got a big enough engine ::bigsmile: It's interesting now how the are "beginning" to take to smaller engined cars and pick ups- 3 ltr ones are acceptable ::bigsmile:
The Merc has been used in the US for a few years now so can the Transit cut it ? can they fit a bigger power-fuller engine ?and will it have the obligatory auto box ?:winky:
terry
BTW British

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
states in the article about a 5 cylinder engine so maybe they are going to fit the merc 5 cyl

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
states in the article about a 5 cylinder engine so maybe they are going to fit the merc 5 cyl
hey they might set up the old Audi quatro 5 cyd engine and 4x4 box
still it will not be a proper yank tank now will it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The yanks use the E350 /E450 as there Tranny

The yanks use the Ford E350/E450 as there equal to the tranny. Can be used on small vans... even have the E150 if they really want small.. say for a panel van of about the same size as a tranny.. but more power.

Bob:thumb:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
the new transit 3.2 is a five cylinder 200ps:thumb:.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If the Ford Transit is British then isn't the Dyson Vacuum Malaysian?

::bigsmile:No Jim the Dyson was built here first then moved production to Malaysia simply for costs/profit/greed call it what you want :Smile:Transits were made in Britain (via American Ford co) and continued to be for years basically being sold only in British markets as it never took off in Europe as such :ROFLMAO::winky:
Now as Chris as pointed out they have made a 3.2 -5 cly engine for them which I assume is to compete with the prestige Merc Sprinter and VW Crafter which in my opinion it will never do :Eeek:After all it is still a Tranny and as such it is the preferred work horse of Britain but will it make it in the rest of Europe? or for that matter in the USA ? It may make it in USA simply because they don't have any small vans (as such ) to compete with and ford as you know are massive in the US.The Econoline's etc are similar size but with a big thirsty engine which the yanks love :ROFLMAO:
terry

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I hear you Terry, I've just never considered Ford or any of it's products to be British. Yes they were designed here, but by Brits working for an American Company. Just like I consider Hondas, Nissan and Toyotas made here to be Japanese cars. Maybe I'm just being pedantic. ::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the 3.2 duro torq as been around awhile now . i have it listed on april 2010 literature they alsogo up to 4,600kg gvw and have a healthy train weight of 6,500kg. unfortunately they classed the awd as a special order and didnt push it very much.
mind the new iveco daily is going to take some beating . there gvw is up to7,000kg now . forthe enviromentalists there is an methane version as well. it runs on petrol in recovery mode should you run out of methane.
also an electric version .fully loaded in urban use can travel 100-130km depending on the battery and wheelbase choice.
bt with the euro 5 twin turbo you can ave 205bhp. make a good base for m,home or artic unit.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I hear you Terry, I've just never considered Ford or any of it's products to be British. Yes they were designed here, but by Brits working for an American Company. Just like I consider Hondas, Nissan and Toyotas made here to be Japanese cars. Maybe I'm just being pedantic. ::bigsmile:
:ROFLMAO:::bigsmile: I also am with you :thumb: but the Tranny was built both in and for the UK market and nowhere else :winky:After all it has taken it almost 45 yrs before the yanks have accepted it ::bigsmile: assuming they take to it. Me I KNOW I AM IN A MINORITY but I have never liked Transits that much indeed any Fords I have owned :Doh: but yet again I love my FORD Iveco :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Am I sitting on the fence ? ::bigsmile:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi terry, you will find the transit was also built in spain near palencia . along side the vw t4 . they both shared similer body. i know have seen them being made. back in the early 90,s .

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ford Transit History

The first Ford Transit proper was introduced in October 1965, and has been in continuous production in three basic generations to the present day. The van was produced initially at Ford's Langley facility in Berkshire, England (a former Second World War aircraft factory which had produced Hawker Hurricane fighters), but demand outstripped the capability of the plant, and production was moved to Southampton, where it has remained.

Transits have also been produced in Ford's Genk factory in Belgium and also Turkey. Transits have been produced in Amsterdam for the local market from the mid seventies until the end of 1981. This factory had ample capacity, since the Ford Transcontinental produced there had little success (total production 8000 in 6 years).
Although the Transit sold well in the Netherlands, it was not enough to save the factory, which closed in December 1981. The Transit is also produced in China for the Chinese market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Transit

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks for the history lesson Jim ::bigsmile: I knew they were built in Belgium and Turkey but not in China :winky:Since they have made virtually no impact in any other country other than Britain ( who seem to love them ) is why I stated solely for the British market ::bigsmile:
Will the brits pay a premium price for the 3.2 is anybody's guess but I suspect people will buy the Mercs and VWs :Smile: unless some clever marketing / big discounts are given
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
take it you have never been to north africa then. maroc ,algeria ,tunisia is full of them.
as to china you may be amazed whats made there. iveco set their factory up in the early 80,s .try a google put china and just about any make you want i bet there is a factory in china.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Forgot to say over the yrs I have had a 1600cc mk 1 and a 2,000cc v4 mk2 a york diesel and a mk3 v6 and 2.5 diesel never really liked any ::bigsmile:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just noticed the brochure is dated 2009. so not sure when the 3.2 came ouit . as they are in there. but i know in 2010 the premium was about 3-4 grand . depends on model.
no price for 4x4 as its a special order .but i know several have been sold .last year there were several second hand in dealers when i asked about them. at the time i didnt realise they did 4.5ton trannies .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
vwalan;518268[COLOR="Red" said:
]take it you have never been to north africa then. maroc ,algeria ,tunisia is full of them.[/COLOR]
as to china you may be amazed whats made there. iveco set their factory up in the early 80,s .try a google put china and just about any make you want i bet there is a factory in china.

No Alan why would I want to go to such gods forsaken places :winky: I have been to Kenya,Agidir and Turkey but Transits were not in any great numbers if any.Also all over Europe over the yrs and again the odd Transit but no great numbers like here.Last time I looked Iveco had about 20 factory's all over the place except UK ::bigsmile:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi terry you go for the adventure. mind tunisia isnt too warm in winter. but there is loads of fun. 26,000 m,homes hit maroc between november and march .cant all be wrong. inshallah.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
hi terry you go for the adventure. mind tunisia isnt too warm in winter. but there is loads of fun. 26,000 m,homes hit maroc between november and march .cant all be wrong. inshallah.

I wish I cannot get Ann across/under the water ::bigsmile:She won't even venture into Wales :Doh:
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
now that is an engine

dont be daft......how are they going to get a Ford Triton 6.8ltr V10 under a tranny bonnet :Doh::winky:

Now that is what you call a real engine.. bags or power.... smooth as glass..

Ford may be Ford.. but the tranist will nver stack up to an econoline E150 or the bigger brothers.. the engine is real class and will pull anything. It is bad new that you see the Sprinter being re badged as an International in the USA and then converted to a RV.. not the same as a real American van.. even the Dodge Rams are better than the mercs or the British tranny. Ownered them in the past and hated them.. not that keen on the Iveco either, again had them ... large payload, but not the most exciting vehicle in the world.

Bob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi terry ,well never mind its a shame as its a real good fun trip.
havent had a go in that 5cyl trannie but it does sound nice.
just had a load of info on the new daily . they seem to be getting better, not too sure on this lecccy one . i know in china buses and trucks are using leccy and have been for awhile. we are way behind in western europe.
the new 7ton iveco daily is going to be a nice base for campers .
they are still using the 40c17 as the artic and still gives a train of 8700kg so ideal for 5ers .
the 70c17 would make a good one with a 10500kg train. its kerb weight is only 2600kg so ideal for down plating to 3,500gvw as a unit. i think we shall see lots more of them soon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back