Propane question - regulator safety (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am getting a 47Kg gas cylinder to last me over Christmas as it works out a hell of a lot cheaper. Locating the Gas cylinder is a little tricky as if I put it where I want it it is unsupported. If I put it somewhere I can chain it up it will be visible from the road which I don't want.....

I will be using a regulator that screws directly into the cylinder then using normal gas hose to route into the van.

My question is, if the gas bottle were to be knocked over would the regulator prevent liquid propane going into the low pressure hose? If not is there a regulator that will cut off the flow should this happens. I am sure it won't happen but better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi.BES can do a multi purpose safety fitting . no..12673 that shuts off if excess gas flow. but they can also do stainless strong gas piping.
canyou not knock a sturdy post into the ground to support the bottle. or build a tripod to support the bottle. easy solution. 3 lengths of 2x2 or three lengths of scaffold pole . few wraps around of gaffa tape . sure you can organise something .

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I did look at that one but not sure if it does what I need.

I will be making some kind of support for it. But want to be sure..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I agree with Alan, don't mess about with complicated solutions use KISS, make sure the bottle can not fall over then there will be no problems.

Doug...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it says .shuts off gas if for example a pipe on the outletside is cut. what more could it say. but the support is best. it could fall and kill someone .
gas escapes who cares ?but if it hits a person or a child .even an animal.
but for 13 quid every one should use one if using a propane bottle. makes sense. people wory about driving with gas left on this is the answer . should be compulsory in my book.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have just ordered a sack barrow and will chain the cylinder to the back of the van. The sack barrow can then be used to move the cylinder when I need to open that door.

The other door does need to be opened regularly as it gives access to the cassette for emptying.

I didn't initially want it right up against the van as it would block access to the left door but upon further thinking I don't actually go in that side that often at this time of year except to change the gas cylinder :Doh:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I don't know of any regulator that would shut off the supply if fed with lpg in the liquid phase (entirely different to excess flow so Allan's suggestion doesn't help unfortunately. If you REALLY NEED to use a 47kg cylinder then two points come to mind:

1, make sure the cylinder cannot fall over.
2, don't use a flexible hose of more than 1.5metres length to connect it to the motorhome.

D.

In edit: point 3, make sure your on cylinder regulator is ok for outdoor use, many are not!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a standard calor regulator WILL allow liquid gas to pass through......i speak from experience.:Blush:

small calor cabinet heater...running VERY low on gas.

shake bottle vigourosly and pressure increases giving a longer burn just before it runs out altogether.

accidentally drop bottle, top end down, and burning liquid gas erupted in a 2ft flame from the ceramic burner plate and onto the lounge carpet (destroyed).....and the worst thing is, you cant put it out until all the liquid gas in the hose has been burnt.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, dave could be right there. best build that tripod . must say never have tried it . have tried it with the bottle stood up. always willing to learn. might have to try it if it stops raining. ha ha . best of luck i,m sure you will get it right. i do know big bottles need to be fixed good and proper idealy locked .

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks PapaJohn, An answer based on experience is worth 10 times that based on expertise :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I am getting a 47Kg gas cylinder to last me over Christmas as it works out a hell of a lot cheaper. Locating the Gas cylinder is a little tricky as if I put it where I want it it is unsupported. If I put it somewhere I can chain it up it will be visible from the road which I don't want.....

I will be using a regulator that screws directly into the cylinder then using normal gas hose to route into the van.

My question is, if the gas bottle were to be knocked over would the regulator prevent liquid propane going into the low pressure hose? If not is there a regulator that will cut off the flow should this happens. I am sure it won't happen but better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks
Be careful Gas rules dictate the hose is not be any longer than 2 mtrs in total length

your insurance could be void if you have a longer hose on your gas bottle to van :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back