Satisfaction from something simple.....Motorway Services (1 Viewer)

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Yesterday we decided to stop off at Strensham Services on the M5 on the way back from the Forest of Dean.

First thing that wound me up (even though I didn't need any) was the price of Diesel, £147.99. One word, RIDICULOUS, although I did notice that in and around Gloucester the price of Diesel is crazy, I didn't see a garage less than £141.99 on the way through!?

Anyway, back to the point, my satisfaction came whilst sitting in the Caravan parking area drinking a Cappuccino that came from boiling the kettle in the MH and this was after a visit to the toilet (also in the MH and yes I did wash my hands! :roflmto:).

Watching all the people rushing to get out of the rain thinking that I could be one of those and imagined what it was like......

Running across the car park in the rain, getting inside and struggling to keep up right on the wet slippery floor before getting mugged by a sales rep trying to convince me to transfer any debts I may have onto the best Credit Card in the world which just happens to be the one their are selling. After dodging the persistance I then get mobbed by an AA/RAC/Greenflag rescue agent trying to sell me breakdown cover before finally making it to the Gents dodging either people who have no idea where they are, let alone what they are doing there or kids who think that Motorway Services are just as amazing as Alton Towers. Finally, relieve the bursting bladder before washing my hands in a sink that has been "cleaned every 30 minutes" (wiping over with a dirty cloth isn't cleaning!) then have to dry my hands under a wall mounted hairdryer that just doesn't work. Walking out of the toilets, I have the same issue with dodging the confused and hyperactive kids before making it to Costa Coffee and spending a large percentage of my life savings on a Coffee before heading for the exit. Maybe my finances have changed since I visited the toilet and paid so much for my Coffee that the Credit Card sales people get me on the way out too! AA/RAC/Greenflag man comes in for the kill, so I get my mobile phone out and pretend I'm mid-conversation to avoid him!...... It's still raining, so it's a rush back to the car, but of course in a Frogger-style fashion as all the confussed people are struggling to follow the Exit signs and the parents of the adrelalin filled children are trying to calm the kids down so not looking where they are driving, phew I finally get back and resume my journey..........

.....thankfully, these days are gone whilst in the MH and the most satisfying part is parking up and spending nothing! :winky:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I must admit I share similar joys at motorway service areas. It is the only time I indulge in smug satisfaction, when drinking my cappucino made on my own stove and eating my wife's home made cake the cost of which is incalculably small and thinking if we had shared this in there we would not have had much change out of £20.
I confesss I fail to recognise my motorhome cost me several thousand £ and the fuel to arrive there more than if I had taken my car, all of which would have paid for me to have a weeks holiday at the motorway service area once a year for many years.
The smugness is finally wiped from my face when I see if I tried to park there over night, which would be so convenient on my way south, it would cost me £20

No wonder motorhomers on this site are called Funsters or nutters depending on which member you speak to, but none of this will detract from the joy of being able to take life at my pace and to eat drink and use the facilities in comfort and at my convenience.

Way to goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
maybe there is a correlation here ?

MSA operators certainly have to take into account that many of their visitors will only be there to take advantage of the free parking for up to 2 hours, so it could be argued that prices need to be higher to compensate.

Having said that, though, every single high street shop attracts a large proportion of browsers as well as those who actually buy. Commercial web sites receive a lot more visitors than just those who make a purchase.

So, is it simply a fact of retail life that any business has to cater for the non-spenders as well?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
.....thankfully, these days are gone whilst in the MH and the most satisfying part is parking up and spending nothing! :winky:

We stop and spend ! We do not have the capability of proper Cappuccino in the van. Some of the service area do a seriously good Cappuccino even if it is expensive and slow.

How do you do a proper cappuccino in a van without hookup I ask ?

A cappuccino that does not require a spoon to finish in not a cappuccino !

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
It's not a proper Cappucino it's powdered, but that's irrelevant. If I wanted a proper one I wouldn't be visiting a Motorway Services.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I don't think so, they charge these prices (not just the petrol, but anything else they sell) because it's a captive audience.

And, have you thought just how much the running cost of these places are, especially over night when hardly any business is done.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I cant do it without hookup but I have an excellent coffee machine in the van that makes lovely cappuccino and latte. Its a Nescafe DolceGusto (or something like that) and makes really good drinks. Better I would say than these costa outlets

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Try this next time a credit card mugger tries it on, "I'm sorry,but I am an undischarged bankrupt! They won't have a clue what you mean and shrink back into the woodwork.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Its a Nescafe DolceGusto (or something like that) and makes really good drinks. Better I would say than these costa outlets

You too.

You don't get hand crafted, thick, firm, erotic froth on top, you an oil slick of chemicals a few molecules thick. An oil slick unable to support the required chocolate topping.

Oh dear, oh dear.

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
And, have you thought just how much the running cost of these places are, especially over night when hardly any business is done.

Oh come off it, you really think they are on small margins??????

No chance. They are no more to run than say a Shopping Centre for example. They don't seem to hike the prices up.

How many operators (Moto etc...) are struggling. They may be quiet(er) overnight, but then most of the facilities shut down too with only a small amount open. They also then re-coupe any lost revenue over busy weekends and bank holidays.

Wages are low (hence the bad service) and prices are extortionate.

They charge these prices because they can get away with it.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
We stop and spend ! We do not have the capability of proper Cappuccino in the van. Some of the service area do a seriously good Cappuccino even if it is expensive and slow.

[HI]
How do you do a proper cappuccino in a van without hookup I ask ?
[/HI]
A cappuccino that does not require a spoon to finish in not a cappuccino !

I use a whistling kettle on the stove????????

Perhaps not all mhs have stoves? I am keen to learn

Norman

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
You too.

You don't get hand crafted, thick, firm, erotic froth on top, you an oil slick of chemicals a few molecules thick. An oil slick unable to support the required chocolate topping.

Oh dear, oh dear.

If you want a PROPER coffee, you don't go to a Costa, Starbucks or any other ripoff outlet, you go to a real Coffee shop. :Doh:

Last time I stopped at a Costa at the Services (which just happens to also be Strensham, albeit the other side) it cost £15 for two Latte's with Hazlenut Syrup. Worth it?????? Not a chance, expensive and tastes.....Ok, not great, just ok. When at home I do make proper Coffees and not from a machine either all on the stove! :thumb:

I use a whistling kettle on the stove????????

Perhaps not all mhs have stoves? I am keen to learn

Norman

We have a whistler on the stove in the MH! Still makes me giggle when it whistles!

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
First thing that wound me up (even though I didn't need any) was the price of Diesel, £147.99. One word, RIDICULOUS, although I did notice that in and around Gloucester the price of Diesel is crazy, I didn't see a garage less than £141.99 on the way through!?

Ridiculous indeed - we pay less than 1% of that price in Nottingham, around £1.40 - how can they get away with nearly 150 quid a litre? Amazing. Rip off Britain does not even begin to describe it. You should definitely complain

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

david

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They charge these prices because they can get away with it.

There is always that but I still think their overheads will be eye watering.

Who pays to build them ? Are they occupied on a lease ? How much does the government charge for the site ?

I think your two Lattés must have include a cake.

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
There is always that but I still think their overheads will be eye watering.

Who pays to build them ? Are they occupied on a lease ? How much does the government charge for the site ?

I think your two Lattés must have include a cake.

Bugger who ate my Cake, come on own up? I never asked for one! :roflmto:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You too.

Oh dear, oh dear.

You havent tried one then?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Somewhere in the back of a cupboard we have a Tassimo machine. I'm assuming the Nescafe one is similar, am I wrong ?

I think you are.

About 3 years ago I was being dragged around some God forsaken shopping centre when we went into John Lewis I think. There I came across an extremelty attractive girl demonstrating this machine. I spent about 30 minutes chatting to her and drinking the latte she was handing out. Really good.

I bought 2 on the spot. One for the van and one for home.

Since then all of my family and a lot of my fiends have bought one.

The hot chocolate is very good as well.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We too take great delight in not spending money in a motorway service area although we might buy a newspaper, they can't mark that up.

Cappuccino in the motorhome? Boil the kettle off the inverter, or use the gas if you want to go outside to turn the valve on, pour on to coffee in the cafetiere, heat the milk in the microwave when the kettle has boiled and whisk it to a froth with the aerolatte, spoon onto freshly brewed coffee. This is not ordinary coffee, this is Motorhome coffee!

Oh, it helps to have the engine running. :Smile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I had to laugh when we went to Oz. There you cannot operate a Gaggia (or similar) in a commercial environment - ie to sell the coffee, unless you have been to coffee school and got a stickyfoot to prove it.

There are very very strict rules about frothing the milk - "There must be no viable bubbles".

My sis and BIL ran a 'Boutique' B & B at one time and she had a Gaggia (or similar) which she used for coffees all the time but apparently that was OK cos it was just coffee with breakfast, or for their own consumption - she couldn't 'bill' it as Capuccino or Espresso or Latte. So she used to ask people if they preferred 'Espresso style' or 'Cap style' or 'Lat style' coffee with their brekkie.

Also she couldn't respond to a request to make someone a coffee at any other time of day. So if anyone asked for one, she'd say I can't do that. But I could OFFER you one without your prompting me - so let's start this converation again ! Would you like a coffee? What style would you prefer?

ROFL

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
You're joking Brian! Don't go there with UK qualifications expecting to get a job doing that! - you have to do their training and pass their exams to be eg a bricklayer or a plumber or an electrician ... even when it's just your own house ...... and don't break the speed limit either, because if there isn't a radar or the police aren't evident - some other driver will take your number and report you! :ROFLMAO:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Must have been in Tasmania, They're all weird there! There was not any such sillyness in NSW, Canberra or Queensland.
Me thinks someone is having her leg pulled:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back