Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In the current climate should we be buying British ?

Can the Brits compete with all those famous (expensive) German marques Hymer, Burstner Dethleffs etc. What has our industry got to do to trounce em? Are they still much better than ours these days?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

No, we should buy what gives us best quality for our available money. If the Brits want the action they should prove their offer is best.

If the Euro slides it will be tough for the Brits.

( I once bought a Rover because it was Made in Britain !!! )

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Don't think it matters so much as where its made. What has to be considered is are we prepared to pay for quality.
In the early days Hymers were built to a quality not to a price,as they had little competition. Now everybody and his dog is building motorhomes including the Chinese and I think quality has given way to building at a price.
Some will always be prepared to pay the extra premium for a quality built motorhome just like anything else.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I think the mass produced vans are all of a certain standard and until we as buyers demand better they will keep churning out sub-standard vans.I read things like vans needing new floors as they are rotten in a few years,and the owners saying what a good job they made of it under warranty a real joke

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I suppose Italy is the biggest winner in the Motorhome market, no matter wether it's a German or Brit motorhome, chances are the Italians have made money buy supplying the Fiat base. Not helped their countries position much though has it ::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We looked long and hard for a replacement for our 1989 Hobby..
A year of trudging round looking at all manner of vans.. the one thing that we both constantly came across was how poor the quality of brit made motorhomes were compared to our ( almost ) 20 year old van..
To start with we thought they were just made better back then.. but no, once we started doing direct side by side comparisons I am afraid we found the same with todays vehicles.

SeA are not known as top end builders, but our Miller States ( built in Italy ) leaves a good many others in the dust when it comes to build quality

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
OK I believe the older one are much better............:Cool:

Similar to Mercedes of yesteryear and now..........:winky:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think if I was buying new now I wouldn't buy a German van. When we bought ours we looked at quite a few Swift models new and old but as soon as we walked into our van the difference in build quality was obvious, even to me.

If you are buying second hand I don't suppose it matters.

We have a BMW as well but I won't buy another or a Merc.

Trouble is how can you buy British on the car front?

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I doubt it frankly; when you do speak to a Jonny Foreigner that you can have such a conversation with - I think they probably have as many problems as we report in UK. Clutch going on base vehicle (that was a Belgian Ford) after 1,000 kms, first time out; things dropping off etc.

BUT Jim - first time out in ours 2 years ago, aire at Le Crotoy - 2 other English families on hols together, both with newish Swifts, both of which were apparently falling apart. At this point we'd had to buy a packet of screws because they'd omitted them out of the removeable bit of floor inside which gives access to the fresh water tank; it had slid under the carpet as we went along, we parked and I went to go back into the hab area and promptly put my foot down the hole. Luckily I hadn't put my full weight on it. Also it had had a leak in a skylight and the roof was discoloured so dealer had refitted it, fine, but the stain was progressing. We kept schtum. When we got back to Blighty Swift had it back and sorted it. None of it was a problem - the dealer and Swift were great.

No it shouldn't happen really blah blah blah, but knowing how brill they are in sorting probs, we'd use Marquis at Northampton again and certainly have another Swift at the drop of a hat.

And we ran across the one couple again this year. They were on their second van since the Swift; I can't remember what it was but def a European - and she said 'it's showing signs of its age now so we'll have to start looking for another' - WHAT? - after less than 2 years? Whereas it's the norm to see whole families take their shoes off before they set foot in their vans, and they usually have towels laid on the internal steps too, lest a speck of dirt dare to pass their threshold. Pristine net curtains!

So - bearing in mind Pete's 1981 Avondale caravan that they rallied EVERY weekend in, plus at least 3 weeks holiday with their 2 daughters, assorted friends, teenage foster children, assorted dogs and once a litter of puppies, oh and Pete's mam too sometimes, is still going strong and in full working order, went to France with eldest daughter and gang (5 of em) for a fortnight last year - perhaps it's more to do with the way we treat our vans that's the key, rather than the vans themselves?

Jenny

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
A lot of the models merc made that were great they lost money on every one in the past now accountants run the show

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We imported a new Ford Galaxy 2.3 Ghia to order from a main dealer in Alkmaar in January 2000 it was RHD and UK spec , I had it lpg converted from new. It cost around £7k less than in the UK.
It is now almost 12 years old , main dealer serviced since new, 111,000 on the clock never any trouble and still drives a treat.:Smile:
I would not pay over the odds just for a name such as Mercedes or BMW etc .
Same as my Ford based RV , excellent value for money with everything in the price. :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I will buy what ever I want from what ever manufacturer as long as it suits my needs.
I am really impressed by our swift, if it falls apart then so be it, but it is a great van as far as Im concerned. :thumb:
when it comes to changing it I will buy what ever I fancy at that time. I will choose on Layout, and it suiting my needs. It will fall in to 3 categories, Budget van, Middle of the road and or Mark of distinction. I actually do not think Hymer fit in to the 3rd category any more. I think that's more Concorde, Cathargo territory.

But most of all, I will buy the best van i can afford with the money i have available which ever country it comes from.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Actually.........................

That raises a whole different question within the same ball park

I would quite probably look at SECONDHAND brit vans that were a few years old as by then all the bits and bobs would have been sorted out.

So methinks pre-owned and new are two totally different kettles of fish

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I do apologise .. failed completely to answer the original question ( miss read it truth be told )

In this current climate I would buy what ever offered me the best value for money.. It would matter not where it originally came from.

I honestly believe individuals trying to put an embargo on a country in any field is unlikely to even be noticed in the greater scheme of things, whereas a few quidlets more or less or a duff purchase would certainly be noticed by me and my back pocket !!

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Ive had a few cars but my jag is my pride and joy never let me down and looks good, we were going to buy a merc this year for the wife but decided on a ford focus hard top convertable. We tend to buy what suits us and our pocket:thumb:

but shes still saying we should of bought the merc:cry::cry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I will buy what ever I want from what ever manufacturer as long as it suits my needs.
I am really impressed by our swift, if it falls apart then so be it, but it is a great van as far as Im concerned. :thumb:
when it comes to changing it I will buy what ever I fancy at that time. I will choose on Layout, and it suiting my needs. It will fall in to 3 categories, Budget van, Middle of the road and or Mark of distinction. I actually do not think Hymer fit in to the 3rd category any more. I think that's more Concorde, Cathargo territory.

But most of all, I will buy the best van i can afford with the money i have available which ever country it comes from.

I'm not alone then :Smile: We intend changing our van next year and will go with a checklist of features we want, which will not include any particular manufacturer let alone country of origin.

We may also change the car next year. Won't have another Citroen after the experience with the camshaft fracturing but could well go back to Skoda having had several good vehicles in the past.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
This will probably be my last van, its an older German tank.........:winky:

Been out fitting an inverter to it and screwing into solid wood, I like that I know weight but for this build quality will put up with it.

I am nearly 20 stone at the moment and balance not so good (missing toes and nerve damage) so sit down heavily sometime plus have the odd :beerchug: which also can make you wobble:ROFLMAO:

So yes older van is good build quality but not so sure with new ones but of courses be nice to own a new one.........

If you have money and own a fancy vehicles then get a big bills tends to be less of a disaster although Volvo now 2 years old (time flies) and on each service just the service as it happens........although i paid for 3 years 100K miles servicing from new, if this had not been available would not have bought it.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

We should buy what gives us best value for money no matter where it comes from.

( I once bought a Rover because it was Made in Britain !!! )

once upon a time........................
Actually.........................

That raises a whole different question within the same ball park

I would quite probably look at SECONDHAND brit vans that were a few years old as by then all the bits and bobs would have been sorted out.

So methinks pre-owned and new are two totally different kettles of fish
With a secondhand van not only does original build quality show through but also the care bestowed upon it by previous owners. A seller will most likely not tell you what problems they have had if they have since got them fixed.

All in all my van is British built on a German chassis only time will tell if that was a good idea, it is a rarity in being a British "A" class van. That suits us down to the ground.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
For too many years we followed a social conscience, buying only British where there was one to be bought.
Ethical purchasing, not buying things from countries with bad human rights records, and ethical investments followed.
During all those years everyone said how much more reliable their Japanese cars were, and we had those who swore by 100,000 mile plus Merc's secondhand.
More hard work over the years and our savings grew in the building society as we got older and we were eventually able to live our dream. A Merc C class estate for tugging. What a money pit. We still have a German car, a legacy from our change from tugging to the MH, a VW Passat estate. What a car, we still have not spent as much in servicing coming up 4 years as we did in our last year with the Merc. Unlike the British, Swedish and French cars we have had its has not broken down (yet). Now we consider that value for money. If someone can point us to a better value for money and just as reliable UK equivalent I will consider it. I don't think you can,
The MH was different, ours is big, but not as big as europeans with the same layout, six berths with seat belts for five passengers. We did not buy it because it was British, and even in the present political climate we were to change it then whether it is british or not would not be the key factor - layout and the best value would determine it. For their additional costs, I do not consider sme European motorhomes better value for money with our layout, they probably are for 2 berths though.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
This will probably be my last van, its an older German tank.........:winky:

Been out fitting an inverter to it and screwing into solid wood, I like that I know weight but for this build quality will put up with it.

I am nearly 20 stone at the moment and balance not so good (missing toes and nerve damage) so sit down heavily sometime plus have the odd :beerchug: which also can make you wobble:ROFLMAO:

So yes older van is good build quality but not so sure with new ones but of courses be nice to own a new one.........

If you have money and own a fancy vehicles then get a big bills tends to be less of a disaster although Volvo now 2 years old (time flies) and on each service just the service as it happens........although i paid for 3 years 100K miles servicing from new, if this had not been available would not have bought it.

Funny that John , I also wobble a bit after a few :drink:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Not doing yourself any favours there, are you.

Just think, every time you move you are hauling 70..100lbs you don't need. Now even our super fit Haggers does not take a 100lb back pack when out training.

R U saying i am a fat bar stew ard Brian?:Sad: bit personal isn't it?:cry::cry:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tis true and wished i could do something about it......so many exercise are out and dieting with a tablet breakfast rattle all day.............:Sad:

I have been super skinny to in my teens:RollEyes:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
john we were all super fit in our teens, Now get yaself a decent bike, you dont need toes for one of them. Just raced the Tatton Park 10k this morning for a little fun. Cant believe I run 6 miles just as a bit of fun.:ROFLMAO:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I've said it before and I'll say it again John - eat everything you need to (ie watch your portion size!) but cut down on the carbohydrate content! You can go a lot further on a boiled egg or bacon and egg, than you can on a bowl of cereal. Insulin is a growth hormone and the more you inject 'to cover the carbs', the more weight you will put on.

OK if you ARE Haggers and are doing the exercise and aren't diabetic, then carbs are OK. But if Steve Redgrave (T2 diabetic) can win Olympic Gold Medals AND curb the carbs - then any of us who don't do that kind of exercise, can manage without so many.

And choose your booze wisely; some things have a lot more calories and carbs - eg beer. Wine - esp red wine - is better all round. Just don't drink a similar quantity and don't quaff it like beer LOL

Jenny

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We looked long and hard for a replacement for our 1989 Hobby..
A year of trudging round looking at all manner of vans.. the one thing that we both constantly came across was how poor the quality of brit made motorhomes were compared to our ( almost ) 20 year old van..
To start with we thought they were just made better back then.. but no, once we started doing direct side by side comparisons I am afraid we found the same with todays vehicles.

SeA are not known as top end builders, but our Miller States ( built in Italy ) leaves a good many others in the dust when it comes to build quality[/QUOTE]

So does the Mclouis another Italian Motorhome..... I could not fault them in any way shape or form also most items that was standard are extras in other more expensive vans :Doh:

Going back to the question...The amount of Brits we meet that say they would NOT buy a British Motorhome...........also you do not see new British vans for sale over here in Europe ( I have not, or have I blinked and missed them) but you will see European vans for sale in the Uk.... I think that's answers your question...

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You don't like Land Rover, Jaguar, Vauxhall, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Bentley, Rolls, Maclaren, Morgan and a few tiddlers.

Ford ?

Not sure how many of them are British owned which is what I assumed the OP was about. They are built here though I guess so it helps our economy.

I had better pass on the Rolls, Bentley , Mclaren and Morgan though::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back