siberian husky as a motorhome pet (1 Viewer)

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi guys been thinking of getting a ball of fluff for the motorhome to get us out walking more.
have any of you any experience of the siberian husky in general??

OP
OP
aba

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
may need more than 1 to pull 5 ton out though :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Strangely enough we were out on a walk last week end, along a narrow path and came across a gentleman walking this beautiful big dog, started talking to him and he told us it was a Siberian Husky, said it loved this cold weather but hated the warmer weather, so I expect you have to take into consideration if you were taking it abroad in the warmer weather, beautiful big dog though.

OP
OP
aba

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
wasn't thinking of crossing the water yet i feel its better to try and support our failing economy first.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Nice dogs but IMO too big as a motorhome pet..

I would also suggest smaller and non or low moulting..

Our JRT fits the first criteria but moults perpetually ... and the hairs are a bugger to get off of fabric..

Our Cairn Terrier is an ideal size and non moulting.. both are great alarm dogs ..

RKE

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just sold ours!
Exp
hi guys been thinking of getting a ball of fluff for the motorhome to get us out walking more.
have any of you any experience of the Siberian husky in general??

No personal experience of Siberian Huskies........ but..........
....... I do know that they are very much the 'pack animal' and if not exercised extensively you will never be able to let them off the lead as they will just keep on running!!
Also, you will have problems leaving them on their own if you need to!!

My advice to you would be to do your research, and speak to as many 'Husky' owners as you can!
In short, my personal opinion is that the Siberian Husky will NOT be the breed for you....... However, there are many more breeds that may be suitable if your commitment is genuine...

Sorry if this is not the reply you want...... but you did ask! :Smile:

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
My son has a Siberian Husky, it is a fantastic dog, loving and gentle with the little one. I have never met a more tolerant dog with kids.
Only trouble with him is that he is constantly shedding hair during the summer lol. But in winter he cuddles up to you keeping you toasty and warm:roflmto:

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
have any of you any experience of the siberian husky in general??

I have a neighbour who has a Siberian husky and she is a lovely friendly dog, As already said they love cold weather but do not like it to warm, moult a lot. You will get plenty of walks as they are full of energy also you will have a great security system
They are a really friendly breed good with children and if I did not have 3 dogs in the house already I would consider having one

Rob
:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Our postie has two and i can tell you that according to her they take her for very long walks she reckons a daily average split into two walks of roughly 12miles - good job her postal delivery is done with the help of a postvan. You also really do need to be the 'boss/alpha' with this breed

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Know someone who had one very nice dog, walked miles behind her horse who she rode to take the dog for walks.

Only downside was the moulting, it almost looked as though there were two dogs in the basket at times.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hmm :Smile: don't know about a Siberian Husky, but our daughter has a Lab/ Husky and its hard work. She can pull you for 30 miles :winky: and dig the biggest holes in a garden you have ever seen. :Doh::ROFLMAO:

She loves other dogs except Staffies as she has been bitten by two, and she has blue eyes and does not like people looking at her. :Doh:

Our dogs in the past have been Lab x German Shepherd and German Shepherd x Whippet and were both great dogs and well trained, and we had them from pups.::bigsmile:

Then we down sized and got a Porkie ( Yorkie / poodle ), ::bigsmile: we re homed her at 10 months, and we are her 4th owners, she does YAP !! at times but great in the van, Jane clips her so no hair all over the place, and although she looks like butter would not melt, :winky: the terrier does come out and she has had a couple of pigeons and nearly a pheasant in our garden.
I think a Siberian Husky would probably prefer it under the van, :winky: than in it. :ROFLMAO: Bob.

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
You have to have at least 3, otherwise in the winter you won't be able to have a Three Dog Night! - was how the Inuit measured the coldness of the temperature, by how many dogs they had to have on the bed to keep em warm.

I only learned that the other day, I had no idea until then that was where they got their band name from!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
You have to have at least 3, otherwise in the winter you won't be able to have a Three Dog Night! - was how the Inuit measured the coldness of the temperature, by how many dogs they had to have on the bed to keep em warm.

I only learned that the other day, I had no idea until then that was where they got their band name from!

"I have locked that away Jenny so I can hold on to my Prince of Trivia Title at work.

My goodness you're a source, ney Mine of useless information.
":ROFLMAO:

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
huskey

My wife and I always liked a huskey but as I have always wanted a german shepherd that is the road we went down, they are no different to the huskey in molting and our dog loves to sleep under the stars,with the size of camper that you have I would not worry about the room as we have downsized from an american to a van conversion yes things do get a bit tight at times, and when we are touring the dog loves sleeping between the front seats.
Like all dogs they need their exercise.
Go with yourown feelings:Smile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi.... beautiful pets but need so much excercise and as said don't like the heat...

My friends have a labradoodle which they take in their caravan each weekend. He is gorgeous, quite big but doesn't moult and full of common sense, loving and cuddly. :Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Aba,

I would say that if you are asking the question then one is not going to be right for you.
I have a friend or two with Huskies. They do as said require a lot of walking, need regular coat work (like our tara) but most importantly, they do not seem to be able to be off the lead when walking. I think it is because the pack/hunting nature of the dog. I know some try but generally when out they can't be as they disappear.

Not too big for the motorhome though, I mean, youve met our Tara the Newfie, she fits just right. :cry:

Ask yourself why a Husky? lovely dogs mind dont get me wrong. :thumb:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
If you're drawn to the Spitz-type of dogs, maybe a Finnish Lapphund would suit you. Similar sort of looks to a husky but smaller and from the herding section of the Nordic dog world rather than a sled tugger. :Smile:

Link Removed

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
A few years ago I was at a local gamefair where there was a couple of teams of huskys pulling those trike type chariots. I spoke to the lady in charge of them about their suitability as a pet, she stated that they are a working pack animal, need loads of excercise, are destructive when bored and see smaller dogs as a potential meal and that was the upside.
So I ended up with another pug no prob's

John.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back