Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2008
does anyone know if its possible to fit power steering to a 1991 fiat ducato without remortgaging,

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
your worst case scenario is new steering rack and pipes ,new steering column, power steering pump and associated brackets and possibly a different alternator depending on how the pump mounts to the engine.

on the other hand it could be just the rack pipes and pump and brackets you require.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
without remortgaging,

[Isimple answer....NO !

not worth the expense on a 21 year old van......you'll never get the outlay back.][/I]

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
parts could probably be sought at a van breakers for around £200-£300
then theres the fitting of them of course.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had it done on a Kon-tiki many years ago, after suffering severe pain in my shoulders heaving it round the bends crossing the Alps. It was done by a company near Marleborough and was around £500 then.
Don't suppose the company is still operating, but they were good.

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Been looking into this for my old girl there are quite a number of electric power steering pumps around so possible only need one of these plus the powered rack or in my case powered box saves messing about with engine mounts etc. :Smile:

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
I was quoted £2000 2 years ago by delphin design, who are now out of business. This site may be of some help

Broken Link Removed

Shirl

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Pump the front tyres up.............a lot.::bigsmile:

seriously, there are kits for Landrovers, I looked into it for my old Ducato/glendale,..but its not really worth it IMHO.
As has been said, you need a pump/rack/pipes/reserviour/pulleys/fitting/and possibly the steering geometry reset, as your current camber and toe in ect, will be set up to counter having no PS.
If you can get it done for les than a grand, and thats secondhand, you will have done well.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As PJ quite rightly says.. tis a lot of lolly to spend on an older van and money you will never see a return on..

However..............................

If, like a lot of folk, you really cannot afford to update your van, and you love it as much as most of us do, then a 2k outlay is really not a lot to be able to do what you want to do in comfort.

Ok, 2 grand is a hellova lot of beer tokens but a replacement van ? Certainly several ( several ! ) thousand more

I would be inclined to find a nice little small back street type garage and go ask the man in there..
After all , power assisted steering was fitted to that model as an extra so getting all the parts from a breakers should not be too expensive.. and little back street guy will proly charge about £500 tops to do the job...

OP
OP
M

mickthebrick

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2008
I am tempted as the van is in near mint condition and has low miles, (just clocked 40,000) and we have no intention of upgrading at the moment as she does everything we could ever need of a motorhome I must admit i dont really mind the lack of power steering, I.ve got used to it over the years its something i thought would make manouvering a little easier and may tempt 'er indoors' to do a bit of driving::bigsmile:. My brother is a mechanic (not really up on old vans) but the labour side shouldn't really be an issue, thanks for all your advice

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Good luck with the project Mick.. and if you DO go ahead with it do please give us updates :thumb:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
maybe of some help

Link Removed

dont have any experience of them but appear to know their stuff.

regards
Steve

topman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2010
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
fitted an epas system to my 86 ducato a few weeks ago, everything seems fine so far.:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
its not worth it just change to one with it fitted at factory :Doh:

There ya go Mick..
Someone is offering to give you the money to buy another newer van with it already fitted .. What a nice chap :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back