LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
A few more---now all I have to do is figue out how to make it copy and paste some details
terry

Attachments

• P1000374.JPG
    P1000374.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 363
  • P1000375.JPG
    P1000375.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 354
  • P1000376.JPG
    P1000376.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 347
  • P1000379.JPG
    P1000379.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 326
  • P1000383.JPG
    P1000383.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 316
OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
heres a list of 90% of what went into her

Alarm immobilizer
Full size cooker
Trauma blow air heating
Trauma hot water heater
Dometic 3 way fridge
Sink & taps
5 x new windows and seitz blinds
Shower tray
Swivel loo
Plastic combination sink cupboard, taps & shower
3 x mirrors
5 x drawers
Full size wardrobe
12 x cupboards & 6 doors
18 push button locks
20 spring door assisters
2 gas bottles & regulators etc,
6 x 12v metal spot lights to replace 6 crap plastic ones
2 x 240v spots
2 x twin sockets
2 new clean & waste water tanks
Approximately 30 boards & 72 tubes glue
50 metres edging strip
2 swivel seats modified & moved from back to front
New seating / beds for rear
New seating foam & covers inc drivers / passenger seats cab roof & door panels
Heki roof vent
Roof rack & ladder
Roof box
Status 530 Ariel
Lcd tv/dvd player
12volt on digi box
Cd mp3 player & speakers
3 stage battery charger
2 x 10 x 5 ft alloy sheets-roof / back
New custom rear bumper
5 litres fibreglass filler
5 litres bodywork filler
Full re-spray
Graphics
Tints
plus bits of trims etc that I forgot about

just a few bits to ponder on
it took myself and my mate 12 weeks from start to finish,working 10 till 4 about 4 days a week.
2 days to remove all stickers!!!!
2 days plus to remove all glue left from stickers
about 6 hours for Paul to remove all wiring/lights etc for ambulance(Ihad kittens thinking nothing would work again)
2 days to remove all internal ambulance fittings and cut hole into cab.
1 day to remove skylights and backdoors,then sheet over holes with 1.5ml alloy
about 1 week running about for parts/materials
1 day and lots of different colored tape to agree on layout(the boss put her toopennerf (does not look right) on this bit
15 to 16 days to complete inside
the rest was taken up on the outside filling painting filling again etc,fixing clean/waste tanks-cutting windows roof vents etc.
only the upholstery was not done by ourselfs and the graphics hence hb autocampers, my mate who did graphics made this name up from mine and pauls surname initals and stuck them all over the van whichwe quite liked when we saw it
on her maiden voyge the only thing wrong was we let the waste pipes into the bottom of tanks instead of cutting them off just inside the top (we know now)
we added a small drawer and cupboard behind drivers seat on our return
just got some new METAL spotlights to replace 6very nice looking crap plastic ones!!!!!!!!!!
the second outing was to york rowntree park for christmas fare nov 23 ish where I saw a large mhome with a MHF sticker in the bottom of it's screen but did not dare knock on his van to say hello!!! this proved faultless as have 3 other trips with no rattles or squeaks
the van is made from
1.5ml alloy bonded to 4/5ml ply bonded to 45ml styrofoam bonded to 1.5ml alloy on all sides roof and floor with an extra ply to floor and just for good measure there is about 1.5 inches of some kind of sponge from the cab to the back axle covered in underseal!!!!!!!!!!!
it is very warm
cheers terry
got there in the end:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi could a mod put this into self build or personal vans please?( last 3/4 posts)
it is beyound me:Doh:
terry

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi welcome to the lightside:thumb:

WELCOME TO MOTORHOMEFUN

RAY:Cool:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Terry that is FANTASTIC ! Cannot believe that was a ambulance !:Eeek::Eeek::thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Nice job Terry, having done one myself I appreciate the amount of hard graft is involved and the cost, a factor that many home builders underestimate and end up with a half baked van..
Saying that, it has to be a labour of love, but the end result as you have shown can be well worth the effort with the added bonus you know literally where every nut and bolt, wire, pipe and fuse is... no hidden surprises waiting to bite you..

well done.. top job. :winky:

Jim
PS..don't mention lpg self filling ...pleeeeeeeeeeeeeasse :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim nice to see a name I reconise as well as saruman i THINK:thumb: you coukd have shared this site a long time ago::bigsmile:.I only found it by accident a couple of days ago then it has taken me about 3 hrs trying to post photos from you know where:thumb:.who is the guy in charge Jim?is he from there?
terry
see no mention of it:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim nice to see a name I reconise as well as saruman i THINK:thumb: you coukd have shared this site a long time ago::bigsmile:.I only found it by accident a couple of days ago then it has taken me about 3 hrs trying to post photos from you know where:thumb:.who is the guy in charge Jim?is he from there?
terry
see no mention of it:thumb:

Hi Tery

The guy in charge is the one and only Jimjam, now known as Jim (ringleader) .. gets confusing at times .. :roflmto:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi could a mod put this into self build or personal vans please?( last 3/4 posts)
it is beyound me:Doh:
terry

Hi welcome aboard. There are no "mods" on the light side only Jim (ringleader) to jump on anyone overstepping the mark, ::bigsmile:.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
That's 2 more I know,and a few more as i investigate.
Is there a spell check on here ?or you will have to put up with some bad english:Smile:
terry

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Terry and a big welcome from me too. I remember you from MHF and also remember those fantastic pictures of your bus, what a fabulous conversion, well done.
Jim and a lot of others are still at (or traveling back from) the New Years meet, so I guess if you send either Jim or Bryan a PM they will be able to help you with moving your stuff into the right forum :thumb: We don't have need for Gestapo type mods here and hope that it will stay that way, so Jim or Bryan are really the only guys that can help out.
Looking forward to catching up on your stories and travel news, really hope that you enjoy this friendly site matey ::bigsmile:

Keith

Ps, the spellchecker is the little ABC with a tick just top left and above the smilies when you post, just click it and spul chick will kick off :thumb:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Kands-Keith, thanks for that,I have recognized abut 30 so far (yours as well) and now have 2 sites that drag me back every few hours::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi JIM,can you see this on item 9 to 12 for if poss? if you don't spot this I will pm you in a few days as I am sure you are busy after the hols.
cheers terry

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Terry welcome to the fun site where I can wear me T shirt with pride and post phone numbers for people to get free advice without getting me hand slapped!

AND ITS FREE !!!

Peter:shout::thumb:

S

screaminkiwi

Deleted User
What a job terry !!

Have only recently joined the site having myself bought an ex ambulance to convert. I have never done anything like this before, but needed a bigger van for my small business, which is trading every weekend at motorcycle rallies etc, so that instead of camping next to my transit..i can have a bit of " luxury". I have loads of layout plans flying round my head, but seeing how yours looks, has given me a lot of inspiration. I LOVE what you,ve done to the back doors !! Although, i would need to keep a single door, as mine will also be used to carry stock, so will need access. You may have me picking your brain along the way terry..mine still has all the ambulance stuff..lights/sirens etc, so in the very early stages..but have gone thru the pain of removing all the hi viz graphics..oh joy !! I joined the site thinking..nah...it,ll all be about £50k luxury vans etc, so am encouraged.
Plus, its a bit like the bike scene..anyone can go out and buy a fully prepared harley with all the chrome bits added..but the guys who take a stock bike and create a one off design are the ones that get my vote. (I,m only jealous i dont have £50k spare !!) Cheers for now

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Screaminkiwi,you may have seen this van at a lot of Biker do's in the midlands (WOZWOLF,ETC) as we went to a lot with my brother and his bikes. (lovely HD custom built that won in at least 1 cat at just about every show entered) I hope you are good with wiring:ROFLMAO: :thumb: but thats only ripping out::bigsmile:my mate did all mine, or if left to me it still would not be running :ROFLMAO:( have a look in the my van bits ) If I can be of any help ask away :ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

S

screaminkiwi

Deleted User
Hi Again Terry :eek:) Small world ! I traded at wozwolf last year as it happens, but still had my swb transit. Good to know there are some rally.goers on the site ! Mine is very much at the first stage. I was dogged with silly electrical problems to start with, and havent a clue electrically, however, i,ve found a company in stockport, only 5 miles or so away, who actually build ambulances from the chassis up..and are obviously very familiar with transits ( mines a 94 Mk4 ) and when the guy who does the electrics has some free time, he,s going to take out whats not needed..i open the glove box and there are just piles of wires in there ! As long as i can get a water tank and water heater on board, and utilise the power that was used for all the medical kit for a few sockets i,ll be happy. The side door at present opens to give access to a side locker rather than into the vehicle, so i,m taking that out to give side access, then fitting two leather seats i,ve just picked up from a granada scorpio forward facing behind the bulk head, so that it can be used to carry 4 in comfort. Then behind these seats will be a fold down bed on the drivers side of the van , and eventually a shower cubicle and worktop with sink on the opposite side.
Will be very much a work in progress, and in a way a bit of a compromise, as it will be used both to carry my stock/stall to events, but then become a useable camper van as well. The way you,ve done away with the back doors is very impressive, and immediately makes it look a lot less like an ambulance. I,m sure we,ll speak again soon!.Cheers

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Kell, JUST seen your link:thumb::thumb: nice one
terry

Aug 27, 2008
Stirling, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Sink Unit

Hi

Very Nice Van! I'd love to do the same, but lack of time meant that I went for 'off the shelf'. I've been changing DIYing on it quite a bit though (great way to gain skills/confidence for a future self build)

Where did you get the bathroom sink unit in yr van? I am hoping to change the one that came in my Tribute to something a little smaller (the current unit eats up half the space in the bathroom).

Nigel

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I got mine from a local spares shop but these sell them (cheaper)also seen them on ebay :thumb:
terry
Link Removed
left colum
washroom equipment
click on sinks
scroll down to 4/5

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
What an outstanding piece of work. Thats something that I wouldnt even attempt without having 12 months of nothing else to do and even then I doubt that I would try it.

Well done its great.

Jim:thumb:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Higel, heres another off ebay:thumb:
Link Removed
terry

C

callyforaswally

Deleted User
very nice

heres a list of 90% of what went into her

Alarm immobilizer
Full size cooker
Trauma blow air heating
Trauma hot water heater
Dometic 3 way fridge
Sink & taps
5 x new windows and seitz blinds
Shower tray
Swivel loo
Plastic combination sink cupboard, taps & shower
3 x mirrors
5 x drawers
Full size wardrobe
12 x cupboards & 6 doors
18 push button locks
20 spring door assisters
2 gas bottles & regulators etc,
6 x 12v metal spot lights to replace 6 crap plastic ones
2 x 240v spots
2 x twin sockets
2 new clean & waste water tanks
Approximately 30 boards & 72 tubes glue
50 metres edging strip
2 swivel seats modified & moved from back to front
New seating / beds for rear
New seating foam & covers inc drivers / passenger seats cab roof & door panels
Heki roof vent
Roof rack & ladder
Roof box
Status 530 Ariel
Lcd tv/dvd player
12volt on digi box
Cd mp3 player & speakers
3 stage battery charger
2 x 10 x 5 ft alloy sheets-roof / back
New custom rear bumper
5 litres fibreglass filler
5 litres bodywork filler
Full re-spray
Graphics
Tints
plus bits of trims etc that I forgot about

just a few bits to ponder on
it took myself and my mate 12 weeks from start to finish,working 10 till 4 about 4 days a week.
2 days to remove all stickers!!!!
2 days plus to remove all glue left from stickers
about 6 hours for Paul to remove all wiring/lights etc for ambulance(Ihad kittens thinking nothing would work again)
2 days to remove all internal ambulance fittings and cut hole into cab.
1 day to remove skylights and backdoors,then sheet over holes with 1.5ml alloy
about 1 week running about for parts/materials
1 day and lots of different colored tape to agree on layout(the boss put her toopennerf (does not look right) on this bit
15 to 16 days to complete inside
the rest was taken up on the outside filling painting filling again etc,fixing clean/waste tanks-cutting windows roof vents etc.
only the upholstery was not done by ourselfs and the graphics hence hb autocampers, my mate who did graphics made this name up from mine and pauls surname initals and stuck them all over the van whichwe quite liked when we saw it
on her maiden voyge the only thing wrong was we let the waste pipes into the bottom of tanks instead of cutting them off just inside the top (we know now)
we added a small drawer and cupboard behind drivers seat on our return
just got some new METAL spotlights to replace 6very nice looking crap plastic ones!!!!!!!!!!
the second outing was to york rowntree park for christmas fare nov 23 ish where I saw a large mhome with a MHF sticker in the bottom of it's screen but did not dare knock on his van to say hello!!! this proved faultless as have 3 other trips with no rattles or squeaks
the van is made from
1.5ml alloy bonded to 4/5ml ply bonded to 45ml styrofoam bonded to 1.5ml alloy on all sides roof and floor with an extra ply to floor and just for good measure there is about 1.5 inches of some kind of sponge from the cab to the back axle covered in underseal!!!!!!!!!!!
it is very warm
cheers terry
got there in the end:thumb:
hello terry you have a first class conversion mate very nice i hope mine is half as nice and i will be happy cheers for the pics

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi callyforaswally don't forget to post pics as you go :thumb:
terry

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What an outstanding piece of work. Thats something that I wouldnt even attempt without having 12 months of nothing else to do and even then I doubt that I would try it.

Well done its great.

Jim:thumb:
Don't let Terry fool you Jim
He had Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday to do his:thumb:

Regallee

Free Member
Jul 28, 2013
Stoke
Funster No
MH
Convertion
Exp
Since 2009
Great looking van

Hi terry. I am in the process of converting a ambulance, this is the second one I have done. The first one served us very well but due to its age there was lots of welding every year. As functional the van was and looked great inside there was no getting away from it looking like a ambulance. Was wondering how you went about removing the rear doors and creating the new back? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi regallee simply made a timber framework and stuck a 10ft x 5 ft 1.5 mm ali sheet to it--we also stuck one on the roof to cover the holes left by the roof lights because they were not where we wanted them.
If I was doing it today I would buy 1 mm ali or fibreglass sheet stick, nail/screw a 3 mm ply sheet to framework then stick the ali to that :thumb:
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back