Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hypothetical question time.
as most motorhomes over the 3500Kg are taxed as Private Heavy Goods does this mean that they can park in HGV spaces or not ???????
has anyone fallen foul of this or is it a loophole ????

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
only one way to find out :roflmto:

but i doubt it as a car park attendant/warden will only see a motorhome, not a truck.

often wondered the same for mine......about as long as a bus, looks like a bus, so can i park in a coach bay ?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No idea.. but this is my take on it

Cannot park in a coach bay as no PSV VEL paid, but if your in a vehicle over 3500k and you park in a truck bay you could well argue that you parked there as it was not clear the surface of the 'normal' places could take the weight of your vehicle....

Tenuous, but you only need tenuous in the eyes of the ( nutty ) laws of this land

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
aba

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
well if you did park in a HGV parking place if you got a ticket would you go to court to argue that it is a HGV? but take your tax disc with you that clearly states Private HGV.

to me its a no brainer because it is a HGV.
and papajohn yours is probably taxed PHGV so maybe you need a truck bay

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In the case of public sector (usually local authority) owned car parks it all depends on the exact wording of the Traffic Regulation Order. A good example is the one covering the Hanley Road Car Park at Upton on Severn which allows overnight occupation of commercial HGVs but not motorhomes.

Conditions imposed by owners of private car parks vary. For example, some motorway service operators allow parking with HGVs and some don't.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Have often considered this myself

In the case of public sector (usually local authority) owned car parks it all depends on the exact wording of the Traffic Regulation Order. A good example is the one covering the Hanley Road Car Park at Upton on Severn which allows overnight occupation of commercial HGVs but not motorhomes.

Conditions imposed by owners of private car parks vary. For example, some motorway service operators allow parking with HGVs and some don't.

Being a retired lawyer I have often considered this issue. But so far not found an answer.

I have noticed on motorway service areas the signs for parking in most HGV areas make it clear no motorhomes. and being 45' with the car trailer I find the caravan areas to small. Fleet in hampshire has the HGV's and the caravans and coaches all in one area.. as usual trucks in the caravan bays.. but I tend only to stop long enough for a visit to the little room - 2 hour limits... As for normal car parks, it all depends on what the councils terms and conditions are. Canterbury City Council has a new Aires type 10 bay motorhome park on the New Dover Road and that allows over night parking plus a bus ride into town...good pub over the road for food. The city info say height barriers, but there are none.

Bob

Sep 13, 2007
lanarkshire,scotland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
twenty years
They cannot have it both ways. I was booked on the front at Blackpool because my tax disc said heavy goods and heavy goods vehicles are banned from the front:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
well if you did park in a HGV parking place if you got a ticket would you go to court to argue that it is a HGV? but take your tax disc with you that clearly states Private HGV.

to me its a no brainer because it is a HGV.
and papajohn yours is probably taxed PHGV so maybe you need a truck bay
like yours, it was also a hypothetical question.

i'll use the MIL's disabled badge and park in a disabled bay....see what they make of that :roflmto:

and i agree, if it says HGV on the tax disc, then its an HGV...private or not.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
They cannot have it both ways. I was booked on the front at Blackpool because my tax disc said heavy goods and heavy goods vehicles are banned from the front:Smile:

like yours, it was also a hypothetical question.

i'll use the MIL's disabled badge and park in a disabled bay....see what they make of that :roflmto:

and i agree, if it says HGV on the tax disc, then its an HGV...private or not.

They can have it both ways and they can differentiate between private and not. TROs are drawn up for the specific circumstances/policies of the area in question and that's why there are differences - or having it both ways :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back