Vin Number Security (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I received the following on an E Mail, if true a cover up would be worthwhile :whatthe:

VIN NUMBER - WARNING

Here is INFO worth the price of your car....

Car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or vehicle, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key. The parts department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment.

He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and drive off. Maybe to a chop shop.

By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you CAN cover it so it can't be viewed.
Simply cover the VIN Number (metal label), located on the dashboard, with some dark tape (don't press the tape so it make imprints) or cut a piece of security envelope and tape it over the number. A 3x5 card over the VIN NUMBER works too.

To verify this, I called Chrysler-Dodge dealer and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.

PASS THIS INFORMATION!!!

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
First..ty for the heads up

to solve the above problem I have a small nuke device onboard and on each keyring a sender device, in the shape of a lucky horseshoe.
If anyone tries to open the vehicle with a key and no sender attached then the nuke fires multiple warheads which zoom past the offender glancing against the persons headhair.
Onboard each device is a genetic examiner and the persons faimily tree is examined. Amongst themselves whilst in mid flight, the warheads decide which is going where after they scan a copy of the world phone directory to locate where all the relatives of the offender are.
All in all the rockets exterminate all of the offenders blood line. No rocket hits the offender however as I have a tracker onboard and the boys in blue will get him unless you are in spain and its the boys in green or the boys with tricorn hats.
The offender will not be able to make bail as nobody will be coming to help him out.

Obviously ya worked out the flaw?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Is this only on 'posh' cars, please? I just looked through the windscreen of my car and can't see a number anywhere.:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It had never crossed my mind being an innocent country boy, but there is always someone out there who will try and take what you have got. To me it seems possible but I have never heard of it happening.

Joy, the vin number if visible from the outside is normally at the bottom of and visible through the windscreen.
I remember that you may have a Peugeot and on my Peugeot 107 the vin number is not visible from the outside

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I received the following on an E Mail, if true a cover up would be worthwhile :whatthe:

VIN NUMBER - WARNING

Here is INFO worth the price of your car....

Car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or vehicle, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key. The parts department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment.

He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and drive off. Maybe to a chop shop.

By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you CAN cover it so it can't be viewed.
Simply cover the VIN Number (metal label), located on the dashboard, with some dark tape (don't press the tape so it make imprints) or cut a piece of security envelope and tape it over the number. A 3x5 card over the VIN NUMBER works too.

To verify this, I called Chrysler-Dodge dealer and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.

PASS THIS INFORMATION!!!
NOT QUITE TRUE
MODERN KEYS HAVE A CHIP THAT HAS TO BE SET TO THE CAR`S CPU
A DUPLICATE KEY MAY OPEN THE DOOR but WILL NOT START THE ENGINE

SHOULD CHECK YOUR SAYING THE RIGHT THING BORE POSTING DISS INFORMATION TO SOME WHO MAY BELIEVE YOU AND PANIC :Eeek:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
(quote) SHOULD CHECK YOUR SAYING THE RIGHT THING BORE POSTING DISS INFORMATION TO SOME WHO MAY BELIEVE YOU AND PANIC (unquote)

Not very nice thing to say when some one is "Just" passing on a bit of information...

VIN Numbers in the window were in force before the key chip to computer system came in force..

So it is possible.. in actual fact I had a key cut for our 4 year old Peugeot on the VIN number... Which "OPEN`S THE DOOR AND STARTS THE ENGINE..:RollEyes:

So some one could have gotten a key and stole the car not nessesarily to sell on but just for a joy ride..

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
It is worth noting that if you have a non factory fitted alarm this may not be deactivated by the key. Of more concern are the people who still leave their keys in obvious places in the house where a thief can pick them up.:Doh::Doh:

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
NOT QUITE TRUE
MODERN KEYS HAVE A CHIP THAT HAS TO BE SET TO THE CAR`S CPU
A DUPLICATE KEY MAY OPEN THE DOOR but WILL NOT START THE ENGINE

SHOULD CHECK YOUR SAYING THE RIGHT THING BORE POSTING DISS INFORMATION TO SOME WHO MAY BELIEVE YOU AND PANIC :Eeek:

Perhaps if you read and understood the complete statement you would be less ready to criticise.
I quote the beginning of my thread
I received the following on an E Mail, if true a cover up would be worthwhile

I clearly state " IF TRUE" :Doh::Doh:

I posted the thread to possibly warn others, it is then up to readers of the post to form their own opinion !!!

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Perhaps if you read and understood the complete statement you would be less ready to criticise.
I quote the beginning of my thread
I received the following on an E Mail, if true a cover up would be worthwhile

I clearly state " IF TRUE" :Doh::Doh:

I posted the thread to possibly warn others, it is then up to readers of the post to form their own opinion !!!
I STAND CORRECTED PUT ON NAUGHTY STEP FOR A PERIOD OF TIME TO ATONE FOR MY POST ON THIS THREAD :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back