Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Waaaayheeeeyyyyy!!!!!:roflmto:
At LAST, ffi and I are in thee position where we can hit Spain for the winter.......cant wait!
Plan is to leave the UK on the 17th to get to my cousins place at Olleron St Marie a couple of days later and then on through to Somport Tunnel to Calpe and christmas with my folks :thumb: We'll be staying on La Merced if anyone fancies a brew or a tinto.::bigsmile:

Question.

Does anyone know of a website/webcam that I can check for weather/road conditions up to the tunnel please? From what I've been told and read, its a pretty good route but I am slightly concerned re weather at this time of year.

Ta:thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Somport tunnel is an experience. We love that route..
Cant give a real answer but we usually go that way in November and what I do is just keep checking the weather reports a few days before.. Day prior to making the decision on using the tunnel we head for a mcDonalds and use the free wifi to get the very latest weather...

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
....................what I do is just keep checking the weather reports a few days before.. Day prior to making the decision on using the tunnel we head for a mcDonalds and use the free wifi to get the very latest weather...

Ok, but which site do you use and what town/area would be the closest to do a search on?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I just search weather France and look in the Pau area and HUesca in Spain.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Waaaayheeeeyyyyy!!!!!:roflmto:
At LAST, ffi and I are in thee position where we can hit Spain for the winter.......cant wait!
Plan is to leave the UK on the 17th to get to my cousins place at Olleron St Marie a couple of days later and then on through to Somport Tunnel to Calpe and christmas with my folks :thumb: We'll be staying on La Merced if anyone fancies a brew or a tinto.::bigsmile:

Question.

Does anyone know of a website/webcam that I can check for weather/road conditions up to the tunnel please? From what I've been told and read, its a pretty good route but I am slightly concerned re weather at this time of year.

Hi !

Here is the official link for the roads in the Pyrénées:

Once on the page , scroll down , near the iceman you have the rules of the area ! If you don't understand , give a shout i will make a translation.

Then scroll down again and you have a menu , click on "accès aux cols"
They are all listed : ouvert is opened , fermé is shut.

Many links there as well to meteo , or to new rules. On the left , there is a link to "webcam des Pyrénées" !!

If anything you don't get .........:shout::winky:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

http://www.dirso.fr/viabilitehivernale/CarteRnHospitalet_puymorens.php

http://www.meteosurfcanarias.com/fr/001889-webcam-temps-vivre-intérieur-aragón-col-du-somport.php scroll down you have there the webcam of the col de somport ....... just found it (8.30 french time)

Last edited:
OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Thanks guys, much appreciated.
The links are great and I've just had a call from my cousin who was up at the tunnel yesterday. Apparantly, the area has hardly any snow (it was raining) and there's none forcaste for at least a week so it looks good.::bigsmile:
A week on Friday just cant come quick enough!::bigsmile:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Does anyone know if you have to pay for the Somport tunnel or is it a free one?

Thanks

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Double post

Flash spécial
Prévoir les équipements pour les voitures dans tous les déplacements

Just saw this on one of the links!!! So have your chains with you (translation: Last minute special Info: have your snow equipements in the cars for all kind of travels)

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Does anyone know if you have to pay for the Somport tunnel or is it a free one?

Thanks

I didn't find an answer to your question . Didn't find a site on which it was said you have to pay something, but i can't tell you if it means it is free. May be someone who has been driving through it will show up to give you a proper answer ! Sorry !

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

mpg1sailing

Free Member
Jan 27, 2010
harwich
Funster No
MH
c class ford elnagh
Exp
since 2007
somport tunnel

good news, its free::bigsmile:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The tunnel IS FREE...... Definatly...
The French side of the tunnel is single lane roads, bit twisty in places and I liken it to the
A5 in North Wales. Very scenic but watch out for the truckers who can sometime "bomb" up and down there.
The Spanish side is a lot more open and being improved all the time..
A good deal of it (3/4) is dual carriageway from north of Huesca down to Zarragosa.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvSdx0zWu-U[/ame]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back