New Toll Charges - A22 Portugal-Spain (1 Viewer)

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Cannot confirm or refute this story but bring it to the attention of members in case it is true.

The most recent edition of Olive Press, one of the leading English language newspapers here on Costa del Sol, states that MASSIVE tolls are to be introduced from 8 December 2012 for the bridge toll from Portugal into Huelva (Spain). A figure of €77 has been mentioned but have been unable to find confirmation this figure, have found info which suggest that a charge of 0.07 cents per kilometre will apply. The story set me on a trawl through the internet and the link below will lead to the most up to date info I can find. The online version of the Olive Press is not yet available when it is I will post a separate link....in the meantime read on.

Link Removed

Regards, Bryan

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't know anything but I would be very surprised if the charge to cross the bridge was that high. I would not, however, be surprised if it was another Ex Pat rumour...:ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Further research suggests that the €77 charge is for a 90 card for cars and €127 for lorries/trucks which surely must be aimed at residents, and why would holiday makers need a 90 day card so other options must be available for transient visitors.

Regards, Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Updated post

Olive Press (Costa del Sol) web site is now updated. The link leads to the details given in OP, make of it what you will..... I can't:ROFLMAO:

http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2011/12/01/toll-a22-spain-portugal/

If you scroll down thru the articles to posted comments, the one from Hilary is worth a read....for those who cannot be bothered here is a "snipped" copy...

Hilary
DECEMBER 2ND, 2011 12:41 PM
Unfortunately the tolls are starting on December 8th and it’s not good news for tourism or our Spanish neighbours. For accurate information on charges for visitors needing to rent a transponder (tolls are debited from the driver’s bank account) Viaverde.pt has information in English, Spanish and Portuguese. Briefly there is a deposit of 27.50€ (refundable on return of working device and all charges paid), with rental of 6€ for the 1st week and 1.50€ each week thereafter. It can be rented for up to 90 days. I haven’t found the charge per km yet but it’s been estimated that it will cost around 7 or 8€ to travel the length of the A22 from Vila Real to Lagos for a class 1 vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Extract from Viaverde.pt

Bit more stuff, from web site

‘Via Verde Visitors’ – Temporary Device
The ‘Via Verde Visitors’ is a Temporary Electronic Device designed for use on national soil in vehicles with foreign plates, which facilitates the payment of tolls on the nation’s motorways.

In order to take advantage of the ‘Via Verde Visitors’, all you need is an international credit/debit Card issued by a foreign entity that is valid and recognized by Via Verde Portugal (the Card).

This Device can be rented at any Via Verde store, in certain gas stations of Highway Service Areas and other locations envisaged by Via Verde Portugal (available soon).

Regards, Bryan

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
All good reading and thanks for the link.

However, reading between the lines suggest to me that the cameras cannot recognise the lettering on foreign plates, only an image of it (and that could be debatable).

I'm pretty sure over the next few months we'll find reports of foreign cars not bothering to pay.

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
All good reading and thanks for the link.

However, reading between the lines suggest to me that the cameras cannot recognise the lettering on foreign plates, only an image of it (and that could be debatable).

I'm pretty sure over the next few months we'll find reports of foreign cars not bothering to pay.

Raised the same point on another thread (see below) but it sort of fizzled out without any real answers, think I will give it a whirl and see what happens :winky:

Broken Link Removed

Regards, Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Raised the same point on another thread (see below) but it sort of fizzled out without any real answers, think I will give it a whirl and see what happens :winky:

Broken Link Removed

Regards, Bryan

:thumb: Great! You can be our Guinea Pig........... Let us know as we'll be heading down next summer! :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back