Motorhome mattress covers (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I'm putting my beloeved MH to bed for the winter.

I'm going to bring the seating cushions in to the house, but don't have anywhere to put the mattresses.

Does anyone do plastic covers that completely cover the mattresses (above and below) that I can zip them up in to keep them damp free?

If not, does anyone else have any suggestions as I don't want them to be damp come the spring. I've been some of those dehumidifier things in the MH, but wanted to do everything I could.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've never removed the cushions &c from the van over winter, just lifted them and opened doors so that there is free air circulation. For the first 4 years we used a small oil filled radiator when it was really cold but didn't use it at all last winter. Haven't had any damp problems.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
A problem will arise if there is any damp at inside the plastic cover. Mattresses always have some moisture in them as they absorb it from sleeping bodies, as well as the air.

I think the first answer is your best bet--seal anything up with moisture = mould growth.
Air circulation is the best bet to avoid this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
A problem will arise if there is any damp at inside the plastic cover. Mattresses always have some moisture in them as they absorb it from sleeping bodies, as well as the air.

I think the first answer is your best bet--seal anything up with moisture = mould growth.
Air circulation is the best bet to avoid this.

.................but you can purchase incontinence pads to prevent this:winky:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Yorkieman

Why are you putting your motorhome into hibernation? Much better to use it occasionally, this will keep it running sweet and hopefully avoid any 'sleepy van syndrome' problems.

As for the soft furnishings, if you feel happier, then by all means bring in some of the stuff, but you really don't need to go mad - just ensure a good air flow round the cushions etc left in the van and 'air' the van occasionally to keep it smelling sweet and let any damp air out - best done on a warmish dry day.

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Hi Yorkieman

Why are you putting your motorhome into hibernation? Much better to use it occasionally, this will keep it running sweet and hopefully avoid any 'sleepy van syndrome' problems.

That appeals to me far more, but I thought there would be issues with water freezing and that kind of stuff.

I'd be happy to use it all year round if that was possible.

I'm new to all this stuff, so it is the first winter we've had it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That appeals to me far more, but I thought there would be [HI]issues with water freezing[/HI] and that kind of stuff.

I'd be happy to use it all year round if that was possible.

I'm new to all this stuff, so it is the first winter we've had it.

Drain all your tanks - fresh, grey and flush (assume you've emptied the black cassette already :Smile:), open all taps (mixers to central position) and all being well you'll be OK.

I always remove the shower head from its clip and lay it in the tray above the drain. Tip from Don Madge was to unscrew the shower head and blow down the flexible pipe to remove water.

It's easy enough to refill with water if you do get a chance to go off in the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back