Automatic Number Plate Recognition systems - Portugal (1 Viewer)

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
With the new toll system apparently coming into force next week in Portugal I wonder if ANPR systems are universal, by which I mean.... will my Spanish number plate be recognised by the UK system when I visit London ?
The new Portuguese system is unmanned and operates, I understand, on the electronic recognition system reading passing number plates and charging the user against a pre-paid card or in the case of long term visitor/resident to a pre-registered credit card, for the distance travelled. If the ANPR system is NOT able to recognise ALL licence plate formats...do we need to be bothered by an unmanned system, or have the authorities made provision for such eventualities?
Seems to be an enormously unwieldy system they have chosen to use. Have read so much about it and so much more out there to read..... and I am still none the wiser ! Guess I will have to pop over to investigate, good reason for another Road Trip I guess.
Anybody got any information more up to date than mine ?

Regards, Bryan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Seems to be an enormously unwieldy system they have chosen to use.
Regards, Bryan

We had one installed ten or more years ago with little fuss or publicity.

I wondered at the time how they got blanket planning permission and funding for millions of those blue roadside ANPR cameras ( long before ANPR was a well known acronym ). Being an old cynic even then ( well I think I was born an old cynic ) I suspected the government had installed it for their purposes not just traffic information. Not seen anything to change my mind.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
certainly TFL chase overseas for payment / fines

With the new toll system apparently coming into force next week in Portugal I wonder if ANPR systems are universal, by which I mean.... will my Spanish number plate be recognised by the UK system when I visit London ?
The new Portuguese system is unmanned and operates, I understand, on the electronic recognition system reading passing number plates and charging the user against a pre-paid card or in the case of long term visitor/resident to a pre-registered credit card, for the distance travelled. If the ANPR system is NOT able to recognise ALL licence plate formats...do we need to be bothered by an unmanned system, or have the authorities made provision for such eventualities?
Seems to be an enormously unwieldy system they have chosen to use. Have read so much about it and so much more out there to read..... and I am still none the wiser ! Guess I will have to pop over to investigate, good reason for another Road Trip I guess.
Anybody got any information more up to date than mine ?

Regards, Bryan

TLF chase for payment via european debt agencies for those number plates that log on to there system for the LEZ etc., so I will think Portugal will have a similar way of enforcement.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
TLF chase for payment via european debt agencies for those number plates that log on to there system for the LEZ etc., so I will think Portugal will have a similar way of enforcement.

Bob

TLF ??????

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
TLF = Transport London For :Rofl1:

How does a temp visitor get an account for the new Portugese system?

Duh !:Doh: Sorry !

No idea about temp visitor...this is part of the problem with the new system, lack of available info, hence my question about non Portuguese plates being recognised by system.

Regards, Bryan

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Just phoned a friend who claims to know about such things, who tells me that (sic) "kiosks" and other sales point are to be made available where you SHOULD be able to buy some time (sounds a bit like London Congestion Charge sales point)but he claims you will also need to buy a credit card type transponder at cost of €27.50.
The above info is my friends not mine :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: trust it at your peril!

Regards, bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
You could do what a friend of mine does - as soon as he gets abroad he pulls over and applies a small piece of insulating tape to one of the letters or figures to slightly alter it ie 3 to 8 - O to Q and has no trouble at all - As I often say to him thats OK until you get stopped :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back