LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Last week when we ordered some Euros from Thomas Cook in local village for collection today (we know you can get a better rate on line but for a good reason we didn't want to do that) we were quoted €1.12/£ - when collecting today we got €1.142 - very pleased with that.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Nigel and Pamala

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
better spend them quickly Guys,
or make sure you have a few percetas and Francs handy :RollEyes:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
From the advent of the Euro we had over 7 years at 1.40 to 1.60. :thumb:

So 1.14 makes me sad.........:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
From the advent of the Euro we had over 7 years at 1.40 to 1.60. :thumb:

So 1.14 makes me sad.........:cry:
given the current financial climate you will get 10 euro's to the pound in 2012,
but wont be able to spend them as nowhere will accept them:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
given the current financial climate you will get 10 euro's to the pound in 2012,
but wont be able to spend them as nowhere will accept them:thumb:

At least when I sold my house in France I changed back to £'s at 1.46.....:thumb:

One year later it was 1.11.....

Soooo glad it's not now.......:Eeek: I would :cry::cry::cry:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
At least when I sold my house in France I changed back to £'s at 1.46.....:thumb:

Soooo glad it's not now.......:Eeek: I would :cry::cry::cry:
is that 1.46 euro to the pound:Eeek:hope not you got done:Sad:you would have been alot better off at 1.14 to the pound changeing back.:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am no Market expert, but itis really serious now isnt it?:Sad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am no Market expert, but itis really serious now isnt it?:Sad:

It's been "serious" for, what, 65 years, but now it's got beyond cover up.

It might have been the first WW but certainly the WW 2. All that destruction. Loss of prime lives, skills, materials. That costs money and ironically as victors I think we were bigger losers than the Germans. We certainly got screwed big time by the Yanks for their assistance. We might even have got a better deal financially with Hitler.

Since then boom/bust time and time again. Always some fudge to paper over the cracks. And worse always talking up the situation ( for votes ) so we believed all was well and our expectations kept rising.

Well it's payback time.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Euro's collapse is definite; it remains how ? Collective announcement: how many in and out...amendments are already being worked out.:Eeek:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Euro's collapse is definite; it remains how ? Collective announcement: how many in and out...amendments are already being worked out.:Eeek:

Oh dear. This is not good for anyone I suspect!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

I wonder how much Marjal will be charging in New Pesetas ?

So Greece will announce the New Drachma = 1 Euro, then a week later revalue it 1 New Deutschmark = 10 Drachma ? The the whole of Germany will go on holiday in Greece, Greece is rich and the fairy godmother smiles benevolently.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Oh dear. This is not good for anyone I suspect!

Not sure, What I know is that the sittuation can not continue. I am sick to death of hearing about it. We have had over 3 years now of worries and Hilldwellers day of gloom (rightly I might add) but if it happens it happens,
we swallow the medicine, and get on with a major rebuild project. We tried it, it didn't work, but at least it was tried (united states of europe).
We still grow things, we still make things (just) we still have infastructure, therefore, effectively we are far better off than we were at the end of the war.

Or

We keep going on about it for another 3 years, 5 years, 7 years who knows even 10 years. With an ever increasing uncertainty about our prospects.

So is it that bad?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Were all DOOMED:roflmto:
frazerdm1112_228x374.jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We keep going on about it for another 3 years, 5 years, 7 years who knows even 10 years. With an ever increasing uncertainty about our prospects.

So is it that bad?

We owe it to your kids, my grand kids to get it right for once. Give them half a chance for an optimistic future.

Stability.

Something to build on. A goal.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not sure, What I know is that the sittuation can not continue. I am sick to death of hearing about it. We have had over 3 years now of worries and Hilldwellers day of gloom (rightly I might add) but if it happens it happens,
we swallow the medicine, and get on with a major rebuild project. We tried it, it didn't work, but at least it was tried (united states of europe).
We still grow things, we still make things (just) we still have infastructure, therefore, effectively we are far better off than we were at the end of the war.

Or

So is it that bad?

i don't personally care about the euro or our European neighbours.I am just worried about the impact on our economy.I am in a service industry and demand has been strong for the past 6 months and our profits were well up leading to a consideration for the first time in 5 years of giving our staff a decent rise.

Now with this uncertainty I fear we cannot commit to higher salaries because if another recession is around the corner it would put us under I fear along with 60 odd staff.

But Europe , the European Union, The Human Rights Act, The European Court of Justice can all go to hell.

If it's going to fragment then let's make it total.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
when it fails,it will make us stronger:thumb:
the pound is safe:thumb:there will be NO restrictions on trade,it will be hard but we will get through it:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Gee Wiz !

When the governor of the Bank of England publicly, on TV, tells banks to prepare for the break up of the Eurozone it must be on.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
As a matter of interest, have you any proof of this ?
not physical proof brian!,just thing's reported on tradeing site's i get on::bigsmile:
from people in the know:winky:
people that know a lot more about finance and world affair's, than we will ever know:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
not physical proof brian!,just thing's reported on tradeing site's i get on::bigsmile:
from people in the know:winky:

To be taken with a BIG pinch of salt then, we all know how much crap is spoken on the internet.

Why wouldn't the Germans keep the Euro ? Or does the Euro automatically become valueless if a breakup happens.

Are these people playing games for financial/political gain ?

Still looks mighty serious right now.

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New Euro

My son who lives in Germany and works in the secure transport sector has told me that the Germans have already made plans to print the "new Euro" or "Northern Euro"

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My son who lives in Germany and works in the secure transport sector has told me that the Germans have already made plans to print the "new Euro" or "Northern Euro"

Hmmmmm.

Not the sort of thing you do overnight is it, paper/plates/distribution all have to be set up. How does a country buy a million tonnes of special paper unnoticed ? Has it been in stock for years ?

As usual, we are the last to know. Have all these grand meetings just be a cover-up while the split is prepared ?

No-one seems to be fooling the Chinese.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
To be taken with a BIG pinch of salt then, we all know how much crap is spoken on the internet.

Why wouldn't the Germans keep the Euro ? Or does the Euro automatically become valueless if a breakup happens.

Are these people playing games for financial/political gain ?

Still looks mighty serious right now.
brian! on the internet you learn who to trust,i trust you on all matters electrical:thumb:as i do scotjimland:thumb:
on this forum i could count on one hand the members i would trust to give true and usefull infomation:thumb:
and thats how it is with tradeing sites i get on,most of the information i ignore,but there are poster's that time and time again have proven they know what they are talking about,and these are the one's i take note of:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
there are poster's that time and time again have proven they know what they are talking about,and these are the one's i take note of:thumb:

OK. I revise my opinion from BIG pinch of salt to small pinch of salt.

But where there are fortunes to be lost there are fortunes to be made, so I'll keep the salt handy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back