Thermal Exterior Motorhome Blinds vs Internal (1 Viewer)

missbusybusy

Free Member
Nov 27, 2011
Northampton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie again
Good evening all

I have been looking at a front and side cab window Thermal blind, (now more confused than ever !)

In your opinion which are the better buy, the Exterior fixed ones or the interior type, any help will be much appreciated,

regards
carol

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you want to stop condensation then only the exterior blinds will do this. If you just want privacy or to keep the sun out, use interior, they are cheaper and are never wet and horrible when its time to pack up. :Smile:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
exterior for winter use

internal for summer use

the external are insulated to retain and reflect heat back into the van whereas internals are reflective with minimal thermal efficiency to reflect the suns rays back outside.

externals can, and do, cut down on condensation on the inside of the windscreen in winter

Upvote 0

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We prefer the exterior thermal screens, made by silver screens or taylor made, search on internet for silver screens then give them a call and delivery is very wuick.

Upvote 0
S

stagman

Deleted User
great exterior it is then ::bigsmile:

Exterior are best but if you want a quick getaway then it's interior . I would only use exterior on a campsite but if wild camping or Aires it would be interior , and in my opinion Silver Screens are far better than Taylor Made :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Agree with exterior and also if wild camping interior.

We modified ours by adding cotton ties. We could then use them exterior as designed or interior by tying the ties onto suitable interior locations including 4 plastic eyes that I added.

Only one set of screen insulators needed.

Upvote 0

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
I recently did my internals at a cost of 11 quid and pence for a big roll of insulation foil from homebase.
It looks like bubble wrap with a silver covering on both sides that resembles space blanket material.
Sticky back velcro bought in length from a habberdashery rather than the pre cut stuff which is megga money.

I over sized the window dimensions so it sits on the inside ledge with velcro on the ledge, I have to put my glasses on to notice where it is.

I pop on the blinds and then pull down the blinds which covers them from internal view.

I did it to make the air con more efficient during summer but was suprised last weekend at how well they insulate the warmth in when its cold.

Total cost, about 25 quid to do the one in my avitar. I also bought insulating foam block and shaped bungs for the air vents and shower roof vent.

I did all this cos I love farting about and being a boy solving things as my rv is no more than a mobile garden shed really. (the male retreat)

The spin off was a dirt cheap taylor made hot and cold insulation solution and also a spin off is total darkness even when parked next to the camp street light.

Yes there was condensation but it disappeared quick enuff.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
missbusybusy

missbusybusy

Free Member
Nov 27, 2011
Northampton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie again
blinds

::bigsmile: some great replies, I have now ordered an external one, but love the idea of converting this to an internal one as well
thanks again

carol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
they soon dry out

Exterior blinds... many of them fold day in the day time to let in extra light.. but they soon dry out if they get wet.. plus you have a dry window screen on the inside... use them all year round.. even today they are on (yes wet) but as I have the RV hooked up to the mains and I have tube heaters on in the bathroom and the main living area that helps to keep the warmth in and the cold out.

Bob:Eeek:

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Good decision to get external blinds. Also, note that they are a life-saver in very hot summer weather. Last July we were in Bavaria with ambient temperatures of 35ºC and it would have been unbearable if the sunlight had been striking directly onto the windscreen for hours.:Cool:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back