I'm stuck on the lawn (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
We had the estate agents round to take photos of the house on Friday. They asked me to move the motorhome out of the way so they could take a photo of the front, so I drove the motorhome onto the lawn at the side. :Doh:

It has rained that much recently that the darned think just slowly sank.

After they'd gone I tried to move it back and all I got was the front wheels spinning round and round and now the wheels are about eight inches into the ground and my dear wife's beloved lawn is ruined.

So, not only am I in the bad books, but I can't get the motorhome back onto solid ground (i.e. the tarmac drive).

Should I go get some of those plastic yellow things to put under the tyres, or is there a better way?

Any bright ideas?

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
A couple of boards like those used for estate agents 'for sale' signs:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Eight inches, you got problems ! Are you in the AA Home start or could you get a tow rope on it.

You will need to get something solid under the front drive wheels that is reasonably long and have extra lengths to drive forward on.

Peter

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
If it was me I'd nip next door and borrow Eddies tractor to tow it out:Cool:

one advantage of having a farmer living next door (shame about the mudddy road outside the drive:Doh:)

Hope you get a solution, maybe an old carpet under the front wheels?

Cheers
2dogs

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Oh boy, have you got a problem....

if the wheels are 8" down the front cross member will be well embedded in the grass as well...thats one big ground anchor.

the only way you'll get the yellow mats under is to dig a long sloping trench in the lawn in front of or behind the drive wheels, depending which way you face....then they probably wont work.
instead of mats try builders planks in the trench.

1" builders gravel thrown under the wheels while rocking back and forth may help depending how far off hard ground you are, and once moving don't stop.

either way, the lawn is going to really suffer

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
I suggest you get a local recovery company to WINCH your van out,the more you attempt to drive it out using planks etc the more you will ruin the lawn.
Best of luck:thumb:

Les

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Eight inches, you got problems ! Are you in the AA Home start or could you get a tow rope on it.

You will need to get something solid under the front drive wheels that is reasonably long and have extra lengths to drive forward on.

Peter

am glad my wife not seen this eight inches :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
may involve a purchase but here goes.

Place a good hydraulic jack under the engine mounts and jack as far as you can.
Place an axle stand under and then re-position the jack so you can lift the front wheel higher.
Place a couple of scaffold planks under the wheel, also some planks where you plan to drive it along the grass. Pleas do be extra carefull when jacking and do not use lots of throttle, just enough to stop the engine stalling. hope this helps and if not please feel free to ring me.
Number in pm.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I wouldnt mess around you will only make it worse, get someone that can tow you out preferably without you having it in gear and spinning the wheels further

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
may involve a purchase but here goes.

Place a good hydraulic jack under the engine mounts and jack as far as you can.
Place an axle stand under and then re-position the jack so you can lift the front wheel higher.
Place a couple of scaffold planks under the wheel, also some planks where you plan to drive it along the grass. Pleas do be extra carefull when jacking and do not use lots of throttle, just enough to stop the engine stalling. hope this helps and if not please feel free to ring me.
Number in pm.
problem would be getting suitably large jack pads under both the jack and the stands to stop them sinking in the very soft ground.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Tinkermans right tow it out not in gear and dont stop until clear, its the only way, I have been stuck on fields not deep but no chance without a tow. Pete

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
All four wheel are on the lawn, but it is just the front two that have sunk.

I just called my Dad (can you believe a 50 year old man calling his 80 year old Dad - shame on me), and he insisted he's going to come round and sort it tomorrow. Knowing him, he'll push all 3.5 tonne of it on his own and tell me to get behind the wheel.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm going to print them out and show them to The Boss when he arrives. I will keep you posted. I'll try take a photo too so you can all have a laugh :roflmto:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
is there not someone local with a hiab on a truck . they can lift and pull at the same time.
if you are lucky they will only want a good drink . takes about a couple of minutes to slip a sling under and away you go. best luck.
best not get my mates they would want to tow you around for ages till every body in the world knew you got stuck. been there. some handy people around here but they do like taking the p--s.

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
All four wheel are on the lawn, but it is just the front two that have sunk.

I just called my Dad (can you believe a 50 year old man calling his 80 year old Dad - shame on me), and he insisted he's going to come round and sort it tomorrow. Knowing him, he'll push all 3.5 tonne of it on his own and tell me to get behind the wheel.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm going to print them out and show them to The Boss when he arrives. I will keep you posted. I'll try take a photo too so you can all have a laugh :roflmto:

If you need some muscle I will be home about 6 tomorrow evening, pm me if you need a hand to push out. I am only in Wakefield so I can be there pretty quickly. I have plenty of weight to shove with:winky::winky:
Mark

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If you need some muscle I will be home about 6 tomorrow evening, pm me if you need a hand to push out. I am only in Wakefield so I can be there pretty quickly. I have plenty of weight to shove with:winky::winky:
Mark

This has got to be the nicest forum on the interweb EVER!

Thanks for the offer Mark. If I'm not off (the lawn) by tomorrow I might just have to give you a shout :Smile:

I hope it doesn't pour it down tonight otherwise the whole MH might be heading underground by the morning.

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
I live in york (not too far away) i've got some of them yellow mat things and a rear wheel drive van/tow rope, pm me if I can help

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Think it is the estate agents responsibility, he had no right instructing you to move your van without first completing a risk assessment. Have you read their small print.:winky:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
When we moved into our current house Howie reversed the MH down the drive and on to the lawn - big mistake! Only one drive wheel still on gravel and other three sinking towards Australia!

Tried everthing - gravel, mats, towing with car - but nothing would budge it. A few weeks later after 5 ft of snow etc the MH was well embedded. However our friendly removal men who had come to deliver some of the things we had in storage pulled us out with their removal truck. So if all else fails when you sell your house get the removal men to pull it out!:ROFLMAO:

The furrows in the lawn required three big bags of compost to fill in and half a packet of grass seed to get it back to normal.

Kath & Howie

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Success!

My old man is a little hero :Smile:

However, it wasn't until he agreed to follow the advice that you lovely peeps had posted here.

Whoever said tow it out and make sure it's NOT in gear was 100% right.

He'd brought some rope so we tied that to my wife's old jeep and to the underside of the MH.

Alas, the rope looked like it had last been used at Dunkirk, and Dad insisted on spinning the wheels like crazy, which meant instead of coming out of the ground the MH just went deeper in and then the rope snapped with a big twang.

I found some climbing rope in the garage (not mine I might add, but the kids). So we tied that to the two vehicles and then I did what was suggested here, left the MH in neutral and VERY slowly dragged it out.

What a relief, as no sooner had we got it back onto dry land than the heavens opened and it's been pouring it down ever since.

The lawn is a total mess, but life is good, as my pride and joy is now on tarmac and safe and sound for the winter.

And the kids have lost their climbing rope as it is now in the back of the MH just in case.

Thank you - thank you - thank you!!!

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
So pleased you are sorted. We can't be that far from you and I was going to suggest we brought our yellow ramps round but it seems they wouldn't have helped anyway. Love your Dad's spirit. What a good man. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That's good news:thumb:

You could have waited for the heavy rain and floated her off.::bigsmile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
glad thats sorted, now remember this time of year or even when we have had a lot of rain make sure that you have something under your wheels, (small planks of wood 3' ish in length, wide enough for your wheels or cut up bread trays) essential bits of kit for wet grass

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Glad you got it out ok.Take your Dad for a pint and give him a big hug:thumb:

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
Just seen this post and was horified to read what had happened to you, so pleased you managed to get the MH on dry land again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back