3.5t limit in french towns and villages (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Tez has just finished reading an article on practical motorhoming and read that if travelling through a french town with a 3.5t limit sign we could be picked up and impounded by the local gendarmes.
As we are 4t we were told by a fella who had been through France to ignore these signs, should we ignore or should we try to find another way through as our sat nav (snooper truck) takes us through these villages and towns and not knowing the country would not know our way around it beside for using a map but we are very lazy when it comes to using a map and rely on the sat nav although not enough to take us down narrow roads, we do use our common sense when it comes to that.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I don't think anyone else can answer this for you - you have to make your own mind up - is the added convenience worth the risk? I assume your 4 tonne GVW looks exactly the same as a 3.5 tonne GVW except for the plate.

If any Funsters have fallen foul to the Gendarmerie on this I would be suprised, but then again I often do get surprised!

It is your call and your call alone.

Steve

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Tez has just finished reading an article on practical motorhoming and read that if travelling through a french town with a 3.5t limit sign we could be picked up and impounded by the local gendarmes.
As we are 4t we were told by a fella who had been through France to ignore these signs, should we ignore or should we try to find another way through as our sat nav (snooper truck) takes us through these villages and towns and not knowing the country would not know our way around it beside for using a map but we are very lazy when it comes to using a map and rely on the sat nav although not enough to take us down narrow roads, we do use our common sense when it comes to that.

How widespread is this ? How many towns does this apply to?
I suppose it helps if you look like a 3.5t ie. no double wheels or tag axles.
My 696 autotrail .....is rated at 4t..but on the surface looks just the same as a 3.5.
has anyone ever been stopped in this respect?

barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We look the same as a 3.5t no tag axle not too long at 7metre, want to know if they would stop us and take a look as there is no visible difference.

Where would the weight be displayed on the vehicle anyway, we have a fiat 2.3 maxi engine with 16inch wheels and an extended chassis?

I assume that the engine would be the same for 3.5t as well as ours so wouldnt be displayed on the engine.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
On our vehicle it is found under the bonnet - a plate installed by the converters.

Steve

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Forget it Trish ... and IF IF IF you caught , just talk in english ...and that's it ! They won't bother ... !!!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Forget it Trish ... and IF IF IF you caught , just talk in english ...and that's it ! They won't bother ... !!!

Amicalement

Ha ha love it, thanks Frankie:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have been into many French towns and villages with the RV weighing 7500 kgs where there is a 3.5 ton weight limit. Am of the opinion that the 3.5 ton weight limit is for commercial vehicles and does not apply to camping cars. I may be wrong but have never had an issue with it.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

We are plated at 3.5t-so no worries there,except that sometimes those roads can get narrower as you go along them ::bigsmile:
If reading that article worried me-I'd stop taking that magazine :ROFLMAO:
Mike

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Ok ... i have some kind of answer!:winky:

I just saw on a forum that most Maires in villages where you can find this sign , make local laws saying that they let these over weighted vehicules go through in order not to kill the commerce and tourism . So police don't interfere!:thumb::thumb:

Frankie::bigsmile:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I'm with Frankie on this one. I have seen Motorhomes over the 3.5 limit in villages with the signs. We have just changed to a 3.9t PHGV Hymer and I would still go to these places. The weight plate on ours is on the right hand side by the rear wheel arch and is visible to all.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Ok ... i have some kind of answer!:winky:

I just saw on a forum that most Maires in villages where you can find this sign , make local laws saying that they let these over weighted vehicules go through in order not to kill the commerce and tourism . So police don't interfere!:thumb::thumb:

Frankie::bigsmile:
Thanks Frankie. Iv'e always been a bit worried about breaking the weight limits when driving in France.
Jim
:Smile:

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:cry::cry: got warned about it last year 4 times in france n my cheiftan,, and two times the cops spoke english >>> and once was near franki in the north of touilse ok ok spelling no good,,,its not a thing they enforce, till you meet one having a bad day,but at epernay did see some one get a ticket for it in a tri axel :whatthe:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
:cry::cry: got warned about it last year 4 times in france n my cheiftan,, and two times the cops spoke english >>> and once was near franki in the north of touilse ok ok spelling no good,,,its not a thing they enforce, till you meet one having a bad day,but at epernay did see some one get a ticket for it in a tri axel :whatthe:

Chieftans are conspicuously above 3.5 tonnes......:Doh:

No wonder you were warned....... but just shut the lid and tell them to go away.:thumb:

artemis

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
3.5 tonne weight limit

In September following the directions of our new Snooper Ventura sat nav we ended up going through the centre of Orleans in our 4 tonne van. There were weight restrictions as we drove by the front of the cathedral and the air in the van was blue. Fortunately we were not stopped but it was an experience we would not like to repeat.
We have been round Orleans before and not had trouble but this time were coming from the South. This was not the only time we disagreed with the Snooper but was the one that caused the most tension especially as there were roadworks in the centre of the city

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Well , I am sorry if you got scared/stopped (even) but indeed I see very often motorhomes driving where they should not and I never saw any being into troubles, except in Andorra for having too much booze or too many ciggies.

So, this is what I would say if the copes can talk english . "Sorry sir , our sat nav have no program saying where the weights limits are , and by the time we realised , we though we would make more mess by stopping the traffic to turn round . We can still do it now if you want us to" . When they are waiting on a special spot , believe me, it is to fine the locals ! Or because there is a thief around and they check the cars for that reason ! I feel sorry Niggle, you were not lucky BUT you didn't get fined in the end , which is the main thing .
Now , of course , you can meet "the one" who had a bad day , but let me tell you that if this happens , he will fine you for ANY reason (not a good one by all means) .... Just forget it ! They won't bother to run after you in England and they don't have a note with them with all the foreign plates to get you when you come back to France !!! and now all .... i give you a tip .... All fines are wipped when there is a new president in France, So .. it is a great time to be fined LOL!!:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Happy travels all !!!::bigsmile:::bigsmile::winky:

Frankie:winky:

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes done that....

Yes I have done that by mistake.. RV and trailer.. became a narrow road, carsparked on one side and just wide enough for me, but not the cars coming towards me.. nice traffic jam i caused:Cool:

Got to the end of the road and a main road crossed me (ring road...) followed the sat nav... silly boy...

Bob:Eeek:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Well , I am sorry if you got scared/stopped (even) but indeed I see very often motorhomes driving where they should not and I never saw any being into troubles, except in Andorra for having too much booze or too many ciggies.

So, this is what I would say if the copes can talk english . "Sorry sir , our sat nav have no program saying where the weights limits are , and by the time we realised , we though we would make more mess by stopping the traffic to turn round . We can still do it now if you want us to" . When they are waiting on a special spot , believe me, it is to fine the locals ! Or because there is a thief around and they check the cars for that reason ! I feel sorry Niggle, you were not lucky BUT you didn't get fined in the end , which is the main thing .
Now , of course , you can meet "the one" who had a bad day , but let me tell you that if this happens , he will fine you for ANY reason (not a good one by all means) .... Just forget it ! They won't bother to run after you in England and they don't have a note with them with all the foreign plates to get you when you come back to France !!! and now all .... i give you a tip .... All fines are wipped when there is a new president in France, So .. it is a great time to be fined LOL!!:Laughing::roflmto::roflmto:

Happy travels all !!!::bigsmile:::bigsmile::winky:

Frankie:winky:

Is this correct?

Why can we not have this system in the UK, General Election every year.

Two birds with one stone, no Fines and get rid of the useless politicians:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Well yes:Cool: , it is called "amnistie"; every 5 years , when we have a new president , it is one of the presents he offers to the people .... but of course only for the "non dangerous faults's fines". Parking for example:thumb:. If you didn't stop at a traffic light and you have injured someone , of course you'll have more than a fine !!!

Amicalement

shaysue

Free Member
Apr 21, 2011
Ireland
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2009
Just back from touring around France for 2 months and saw these signs many times. Decided to take a chance and ignore. No probs.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Have been into many French towns and villages with the RV weighing 7500 kgs where there is a 3.5 ton weight limit. Am of the opinion that the 3.5 ton weight limit is for commercial vehicles and does not apply to camping cars. I may be wrong but have never had an issue with it.
DITTO i agree been alll over France for two years never had a problem I have had to pay higher charge on motorway tole roads :RollEyes:
just get over there and enjoy
ps join passion France its only £28PA over 4000 places to stay FOC
that is almost as good value as fun subscriptions :ROFLMAO:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We always go through them. ::bigsmile: if they stop me I would say.............................:winky: We are looking for the aire, so we can stay and explore your wonderful village. :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
I have been stopped 4 times in the past in a converted m/h and as the Police got to my window and I said hello, the reply was, Are you English, or just English, a nod or yes got me a wave through?

I had a complex for a while that all the excitement was going on and I was the only one not allowed to play.

I didnt know about these signs, I shall have a sign made up in french "This american RV is made from balsa wood and is very very light." Perhaps I can sneak my 6.8 tonnes through.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Were rated at 3700 but with air sus so I'm going to be 3500 if anyone asks. :whistle:

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Were rated at 3700 but with air sus so I'm going to be 3500 if anyone asks. :whistle:
Ha Ha, I see you have a Wentworth...so do we, but where did you see that the air suspension makes you lighter :LOL:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I used to have an over 3500 van and have to admit I ignored most of these signs with no problems.

Many continental vans are plated at 3500 in France but the same van in UK is often plated higher. So if its not obvious to look at the van, locals will likely assume it is 3500.

But some vans have the MGW on a very visible plate.

Nevertheless this is one of the arguments in favour of a lighter van! Another is that in quite a few countries speed limits are lower above 3500.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We are plated at 3.5t-so no worries there,except that sometimes those roads can get narrower as you go along them ::bigsmile:
If reading that article worried me-I'd stop taking that magazine :ROFLMAO:
Mike
Must have very fast-growing hedges :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our van is plated at 3700kg and we ignore the 3.5 ton limit signs. Like Snowbird, I think they are aimed at commercial vehicles.
Back in the UK, we went over the Severn Bridge on Saturday. Prices shown were £6.40 for a car, £12.65 for a van and £19.something for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes. We were charged as a car.
We also drive along the roadworks on the M25 on Friday in the middle lane which was for vehicles less that 6'6" wide.
Our vehicle is based on a Peugeot and is 2.69 metres wide. It's a long time since I measured in feet and inches, but I am sure that equates to about 6'6"! :whistle:
Allan

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
My sat nav took me right through the centre of Rouen on market day. Then proceeded to show me all the 3.5 weight limits as I quietly sobbed my way through the town ( I swear the damn thing was laughing at me)
No one took any notice of course.
Stopping a motorhome with English plates ? Too much hassle for the Gendarmes or town police, they won't really bother you.
If they do, smile, apologise profusely and blame the sat nav. Je suis perdue is a very useful phrase.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back