Member of neither CC nor C&CC (1 Viewer)

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Already looking beyond or next trip at Christmas/New Year and am filling in the blank spots on our touring calendar beginning with, so far, Formula 1 Testing at Jerez in February, and Marjal 10-25 March 2012. We also plan to go to London (area) in June but as we are not members of CC or C&CC, and don't intend to join,,,,,,, are we limiting the places we can stay? Must you be a member to stay at these sites ? Are there any Independents in London area?
Any recommendations welcomed for sites we might stay at for couple of weeks, preferably near transport network. Sorry for so many questions on the one post :Blush::Blush::Blush:

Regards, Bryan

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I was a member of both for over 10 years but let them lapse.

They both have a network of privately own 5 van sites that can be cheap to stay on.......

My only reason for being a member.

Could be useful to you for basic sites for around a fiver~~~~~with electric and better facilities around a tenner

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Bryan, there are not many sites within the Greater London area. If you search MotorhomeFun for " London sites " you will find lots of information. I would also advise you to research the London Low Emission Zone, if your vehicle is not compliant there are heavy fines to pay. My advice would be to find a site outside of the Low Emission Zone, the M25 is a rough boundary, and to travel in by public transport.

Brisey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Already looking beyond or next trip at Christmas/New Year and am filling in the blank spots on our touring calendar beginning with, so far, Formula 1 Testing at Jerez in February, and Marjal 10-25 March 2012. We also plan to go to London (area) in June but as we are not members of CC or C&CC, and don't intend to join,,,,,,, are we limiting the places we can stay? Must you be a member to stay at these sites ? Are there any Independents in London area?
Any recommendations welcomed for sites we might stay at for couple of weeks, preferably near transport network. Sorry for so many questions on the one post :Blush::Blush::Blush:

Regards, Bryan

You might struggle in/around London next year due to the Olympics. The CC have a temporary site at Billericay with 400 pitches available from 27 July to 12 August, not sure if its strictly members only or not :thumb:

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Many thanks for the replies so far.
We plan to be in London around 10 June for 2 weeks so Olympics should not be problem. To refine/define my OP, plan to stay in Essex and Surrey during our visit and as has been suggested would rely on public transport , or hire car. Our van is 20 years old and for sure we will not enter LEZ although we did so inadvertently last year without repercussions.............so far, Spanish plates maybe helped.
The question I have not asked is..... must I be a member to stay on CC & C&CC sites?

Regards, Bryan

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

No you dont have to be a member to stay on a lot of CC and C& CC Sites. However if you stay for more than 5 nights this will cover the membership charge for a year. From memory (which is ailing at the moment) It is about £6 extra per night for a non member. This may well have gone up. Im also not sure if this is per person or per van. I think you will find the prices on the relevant club websites for non members staying on sites.

Sonja

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The question I have not asked is..... must I be a member to stay on CC & C&CC sites?

Regards, Bryan

You did ask :Smile:

It varies, some sites are listed "members only" some charge a bit extra over membership rates.

Your biggest problem is all the good ones are pretty fully booked at popular times. Even if you are a member, because of the chaotic booking system and low life members they get booked as soon as the new year diary opens in March or April.

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010

It varies, some sites are listed "members only" some charge a bit extra over membership rates.

Your biggest problem is all the good ones are pretty fully booked at popular times. Even if you are a member, because of the chaotic booking system and low life members they get booked as soon as the new year diary opens in March or April.

How clever of you to notice !

From all I have heard and read, on various forums, about these clubs there really is not much advantage in membership particularly for me living where I do. There does seem to be a practice of multiple bookings going on at certain times and at favoured places only for cancellations to be made too late to be of benefit to other members. No, think I will steer clear of joining even if I have to pay a bit extra at the time.

Regards, Bryan

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Thats why it pays to ring the site direct if you can go at short notice.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
There are also local DA's running holiday sites during the olympic period (and a lot cheaper) I know that the East Essex have a site running during the Olympics, however they are not allowed to use the word olympics or use the rings.

I dont know if any Kent DAs are having rallies or not.

Sonja

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

Just got Decembers CC magazine, next years bookings for March onward open 7th December!!:Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
However if you stay for more than 5 nights this will cover the membership charge for a year
Sonja

Pretty much yes, :thumb:

bit like fun really.. five free posts .. then pay the subs and enjoy full membership and all the benefits.. or sit outside the gates..

Can't expect to use C Club sites and facilities without joining or paying extra for night fees.. and as already said, well worth it for access to the great CL network.. my only reason for being a CC member..

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I have been happy

with my CC&C membership. The sites are great and I have always found their staff helpful, and there are discounts for over 60s. Also you can get a 10% reduction in ferry charges through their Carefree holiday company. No complaints. I chose them rather than Caravan Club as I find CC is quite snobbish. A friend recently joined CC against my advice since they seemed to have more sites listed in their book, but is now regretting it. CC&C is more friendly and allows non-members on their sites, whereas many CC sites are restricted to members. The Wifi is currently not good though - that's my only real complaint.

Catherine

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
There are also local DA's running holiday sites during the olympic period (and a lot cheaper) I know that the East Essex have a site running during the Olympics, however they are not allowed to use the word olympics or use the rings.

I dont know if any Kent DAs are having rallies or not.

Sonja

Link Removed Ralies for Kent but you would have to be a member surely Sonja :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
with my CC&C membership. The sites are great and I have always found their staff helpful, and there are discounts for over 60s. Also you can get a 10% reduction in ferry charges through their Carefree holiday company. No complaints. I chose them rather than Caravan Club as I find CC is quite snobbish. A friend recently joined CC against my advice since they seemed to have more sites listed in their book, but is now regretting it. CC&C is more friendly and allows non-members on their sites, whereas many CC sites are restricted to members. The Wifi is currently not good though - that's my only real complaint.

Catherine

Sorry, but I have a different opinion..

I've been a CC member on and off for many years ... I don't see what's wrong with restricting it to members .. it keeps the riff raff out, nor have I ever found it snobbish..

There are a lot of yobs these days who call themselves campers .. a cheap supermarket tent with even cheaper supermarket wine .. they can be found on many C&CC sites during the summer.. and they like to party .. not my idea of a relaxing site. Nothing against campers, I love camping and have done so for many years .. but sadly times have changed..

They do have a sprinkling of jobsworth wardens .. but they are not exclusive to the CC... They run a tight ship and the site facilities are second to none.

The CC CL network has a lot more locations than the C&CC ... which is my main reason for joining the CC

CC WiFi is a rip off .. but you take that or leave it ..

At the end of the day we all make choices based on our experiences.. there is no right or wrong.. good or bad.. just what suits us ..

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
How clever of you to notice !

From all I have heard and read, on various forums, about these clubs there really is not much advantage in membership particularly for me living where I do. There does seem to be a practice of multiple bookings going on at certain times and at favoured places only for cancellations to be made too late to be of benefit to other members. No, think I will steer clear of joining even if I have to pay a bit extra at the time.

Regards, Bryan

:Doh::Doh: Don't know if this is any help but I use a lorry park when at work at West Thurock next to the Lakeside centre called TITAN lorry park phone No.0170825850 I am sure I have seen a couple of motorhomes park up there. I am off work sick so I am unable to ask them but you could give them a ring and ask.Best of luck

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

C&CC sites were usually £7 extra per night per person if you weren't a member - not sure if that's changed recently. I was recently informed that if I wanted to stay at a CC site, not being a member, I would have to pay £8 extra. Not sure if that was per person or per pitch.

I think this silly situation of people booking spaces well in advance and cancelling at the last moment tends to be a CC thing - with C&CC booking you have to pay a deposit and so unless you had a very, very good excuse for cancelling you'd be charged.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back