Chausson/Ford Transit (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2001
Could anybody tell me of there experiences of the Chausson brand, on the Ford Transit engine/chassis, especially engine performance compared to the Fiat cab also the chausson brand seems to come with the eberspaucer diesel heating as anybody had experience of this system. Thank you Ronboyracer. :ROFLMAO:

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I can only comment on my findings, but as a newbie I'm sure there'll be more comming along.

Firstly, the Transit Base is awsome, we bought ours after many people telling us that "It's the right one to go for". The 140bhp version is incredible to drive. The gearbox doesn't suffer the reverse syndrome that others can suffer from. The inside is more like a Mondeo, you'll have Cruise Control and A/C as standard. Ford parts are cheap too!

Diesel heaters are coming popular, they don't use your precious gas and are so economical, you don't notice any fuel loss on the gauge. The big bonus is you can run the heating whilst driving too.

Don't forget too, that the Chausson Flash 03 won awards in 2010 too! For me, Chausson on Transit base is a winner! That's what we where told by loads of people, that's what we went for and so far, happy! ::bigsmile:

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
We have had two now the one we have at present is four and a half years old and im still happy with it ours is a welcome 28 GA and has gas heating on a 2007 plate the year after it had gas and electric fitted, the other benifit its great on muddy fields and will pull two tonnes Gray.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a Chausson Flash 04, bought in April 2011, it's on the FWD Mk 7 Transit (2.2, 140bhp).

Having not driven the new X250 Fiat I can only go by the 'looks' as a comparison, but I certainly prefer the cab of our Ford to the Fiat. It has lots of cubby holes and comes with air con and cruise control as standard. We've also got steering wheel radio controls too.

It drives very well and goes like sh*t off a shovel. ::bigsmile: The only downside is that the steering is heavier than our previous van, which was a Rimor Sailer 645TC on a RWD Mk 6 Transit which, of course, didn't have the extra weight etc of the drive on the front wheels, but it isn't a problem and I doubt if the FWD Transit it is any different to a Fiat in this regard.

The turning circle on our particular van is brilliant, we can get round very, very tight corners that even our previous car would have trouble with.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If any one wants a new Chausson, try ringing Paul at Wokingham motorhomes,
he has three he wants to see the back off at good prices I might add 01189-791023.

Tell him I sent you and you will be looked after:thumb:

Peter

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Not ALL Ford parts are cheap........................................:cry:

2 small cables to fit to the seat tilt mechanism - total with VAT = ÂŁ75.00.....:Eeek:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Cannot speak for the Transit base vehicle but the Eberspacher heater is very efficient. I had concerns about the fuel consumption (after all you are paying duty on the diesel) but the consumption is really quite small.

You still need the gas for water heating, though, our Eberspacher (and perhaps all?) does not heat the water.

Steve

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
There seems to be a bit of mix and match going on at Chausson. Our 2010 Welcome 76 has the Truma gas (and electric) heater fitted.

Can't help on the Transit front either, I'm afraid. I do love my Fiat, though. Just back from 2900 miles around France. Smooth, powerful, no problems in reverse, even up some steep bits. It's got cruise and air con, as I think most X2/50 Fiat motorhomes have.

Gerald

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ford Chassis is no-nonsense and just works! No recalls on ours since new!
Some Mk7 models could to be easy to stall, but this is cured with an ECU update under warranty if you complain enough!
Standard fit in ours is ABS, ESP, cruise control, aircon, leccy mirrors, leccy windows and a CD/radio which stays on for a whole hour before switching off (Fiat switches off in 20 mins!)!

Chausson is the best seller in France. After owning our Welcome 35 for nearly 2 years we have not had an issue with the quality or the function of the conversion.

I would say that for their specification, Chausson are the best value brand on the market today. Yes, you can have nicer joinery on an Autosleeper (although I doubt it is hand-carved like in the ads!!!), but you don't have to live with an olde worlde Truma gas fire!

Our Welcome has Webasto diesel heating which does both heating and hot water. Its a fantastic system, but requires good quality diesel and an occasional descaling to avoid problems.

The water tanks are HUGE, the insulation is good, the beds are HUGE, the roof lights aren't draughty, the gas drop vents aren't OTT (causing draughts), the fridge is HUGE, warm air distribution is very even and with the RWD chassis, we have never been stuck!

All in all, I would recommend the Chausson/Ford combo to anyone!:Smile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Not ALL Ford parts are cheap........................................:cry:

2 small cables to fit to the seat tilt mechanism - total with VAT = ÂŁ75.00.....:Eeek:

I agree, and these transits now have wheel bearings costing ÂŁ260!!!! Whatever happened to the good old days, when they were ÂŁ9????

Axles are known to go, they only copst 3K.....but all in, seems to be their only fault! Turbo far more spritely than the non-turbo, but not as reliable, try to go for a 2.5 rather than the mondeo engined 2.0.....they seem to do the mileage, but are thirsty being a car engine! The van (which is only a swb commercial - does 23mpg - non turbo)

Benefits of course, are rear wheel drive!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We might have to ask Ron which year of Transit base he has in mind.

Since 2006, they've all been either a 2.2 or 2.4, all with a chain driven cam and certainly a different animal to the previous versions.
They have all been turbo'ed since 2000, to the best of my knowledge.
I had a 2001 panel van for work. 2 litre duratorq, FWD, definitely had a turbo......... It did 35mpg average. No major components during my 60K (it was a hand-me-down!).

My current work van, a SWB FWD 85 PS 2.2 does around 35 MPG average. 110K covered so far, only major components, a steering rack, rear leaf springs.

Only other items fitted to both work vans- tyres, brakes and a few shocks.

Our 2.4 140 PS RWD Chausson does 25 MPG average.

Hope this info helps.

Last edited:

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
There seems to be a bit of mix and match going on at Chausson. Our 2010 Welcome 76 has the Truma gas (and electric) heater fitted.

Can't help on the Transit front either, I'm afraid. I do love my Fiat, though. Just back from 2900 miles around France. Smooth, powerful, no problems in reverse, even up some steep bits. It's got cruise and air con, as I think most X2/50 Fiat motorhomes have.

Gerald

Hi Gerald I have just bought a 76 and wondered if I have to do anything with the Truma cowl on the outside before I use the heater? I presume it is the one on the side if the van and not on the roof? Any tips gratefully received. Reg

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Gerald I have just bought a 76 and wondered if I have to do anything with the Truma cowl on the outside before I use the heater? I presume it is the one on the side if the van and not on the roof? Any tips gratefully received. Reg

You need to remove it before running the heater on gas!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Chausson Flash 14

Thinking of purchasing a 10 plate . Does anyone have one? If so would you recommend it and how many mpg please.

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
We have a ford transit RWD mk7 and it drives lovely almost like a car. I don't think the air con and electric pack are standard on all motorhomes so thats worth checking.
We do have air con etc and the cubby holes and drink pockets are fab, the only downside is fuel economy around 24mpg for us.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
We have a RWD mk7 tranny. As others have said,it's fine,drives like a car all the whistles AC,cruise,quality sound system, great turning circle,good payload,chain cam easy to drive. Goes well cruises at 70mph easy but at that speed fuel goes just as fast, 20mpg. I need to slow down a bit to solve that. We have a large over cab Luton so aerodynamics not the best. But would recommend the Transit as a good MH chassis..

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
I have a mk7 transit 2.2 tdci for work, I have had it remapped, done 143000 miles returns about 41 mpg. egr valves are a problem on them and crankshaft pulleys tend to fall to bits about 100000 miles, other than that no problems

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
We have a mrk7 2.4 tranny, the only problem i have had is the engine managment light coming on. When the code is looked up it says its a faulty valve in the exhaust emmision thigy:Doh: The problem is its not faulty, Ford say it is a software problem which they are looking into and have told me not to crank engine over tilll the plug heater lights go out. Hasnt come on since touch wood. :Smile:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Can't speak for the transit base as ours is the 3 litre Fiat maxi.. But the chausson quality is pretty good with excellent insulation and water capacity. Ours has the truma electric/gas system and "Road heating"
Cant think of anything negative tbh
(oh.. The TV locker is tiny... But it makes a nice drinks cabinet)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Can't speak for the transit base as ours is the 3 litre Fiat maxi.. But the chausson quality is pretty good with excellent insulation and water capacity. Ours has the truma electric/gas system and "Road heating"
Cant think of anything negative tbh
(oh.. The TV locker is tiny... But it makes a nice drinks cabinet)

What is road heating?

Thanks for all the above replies everyone!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
What is road heating?

Don't know much about road heating yet but ours has an Eberspacher heater which we understand runs on diesel from the fuel tank & can be on when driving along so the whole motorhome & passengers in behind are warm unlike gas heating systems which are unsafe to use when moving.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
What is road heating?

That flash you are looking at should have Webasto diesel heating. You can run it whilst you are travelling.
You arrive at your destination, even at sub zero temperatures, with a warm van and more importantly a frost free water system!:thumb:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks. How does it use the diesel when you are stopped? I mean does it drain your leisure battery to blow the heat?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks. How does it use the diesel when you are stopped? I mean does it drain your leisure battery to blow the heat?

In common with all blown air heating, the leisure battery supplies power for the fans and, in this case, glow plug for startup.
Diesel heaters have gained a reputation for heavy battery use age. More modern designs, however, in reality use no more power than a Trauma combi gas heater. A quality leisure battery is advisable though for off grid use.
They are excellent in use though. You can turn up the thermostat and keep warm without the hassle of having to find a gas retailer often. Diesel is so much easier to come by!
We will be in the Alps skiing in a few weeks, our diesel heater and boiler is very liberating in such circumstances.
We have a big battery bank of 345 Ah, but that keeps us going for 4 days without recharging, heating on 24/7, TV and lights as required, all at between -5 to -20 odd.
The Flash will be well winterised too. All that is required is a bucket under your open waste valve to stop your waste tank freezing when the going gets tough.:thumb:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
In common with all blown air heating, the leisure battery supplies power for the fans and, in this case, glow plug for startup.
Diesel heaters have gained a reputation for heavy battery use age. More modern designs, however, in reality use no more power than a Trauma combi gas heater. A quality leisure battery is advisable though for off grid use.
They are excellent in use though. You can turn up the thermostat and keep warm without the hassle of having to find a gas retailer often. Diesel is so much easier to come by!
We will be in the Alps skiing in a few weeks, our diesel heater and boiler is very liberating in such circumstances.
We have a big battery bank of 345 Ah, but that keeps us going for 4 days without recharging, heating on 24/7, TV and lights as required, all at between -5 to -20 odd.
The Flash will be well winterised too. All that is required is a bucket under your open waste valve to stop your waste tank freezing when the going gets tough.:thumb:

Many thanks for taking the time to give me an explanation. Your help has been great. Just really hoping we get this van now.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Many thanks for taking the time to give me an explanation. Your help has been great. Just really hoping we get this van now.

Hope it all works out for you. The Chausson Flash is a model we are considering.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
I can only echo the good responses about the Tranny base. We're on a 2011 plate, Euro IV, 140 bhp. I came from a 1999 Ducato, so cannot comment about the modern versions, I guess things things have moved on somewhat, but the driving experience of our new van is superb.
The van may be budget but there is nothing budget about the driving experience...::bigsmile:
Good luck with getting your new van!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You'll see an earlier posting from me from when we had a Chausson Flash 04 on a FWD Transit and it was lovely, we now have a FWD Fiat Ducato van conversion and although hubby finds it much more car like to drive, he preferred the Ford as it had a better engine and more ooomph, mpg for the Flash was 27-29mpg, the Fiat is around 29-30mpg at the moment although we may get more than this once we get a few more miles on the clock due to it being a standard van so less 'wind resistance'! ::bigsmile:

We really liked our Chausson and only changed to our Accent (which is basically the same layout but in a slightly narrower form as its only 2.1m wide) as we wanted something not quite as 'chubby' as we like going down very narrow roads to places that would have been inaccessible in the Chausson due to it being 2.3m wide - but in the time that we had it we did squeeze it into many places that would have made others run a mile! In my experience 20cm can make a heck of a difference! :Eeek::Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back