Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
kent
Funster No
MH
minibus conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have only just bought my minibus ready to convert for next year I got it cheap from a school run firm in London because they needed to be rid before Januarys LEZ introduction.I've been searching Ebay for parts and noticed hundreds of really cheap partially finished or just plain old motorhomes for sale in London. I can only asume these are going to get cheaper as the LEZ gets closer when the poor owners realise that the cost is going to be 100 quid a day to keep them there.
Obviously this is a terible situation for all the London motorhomers who have been blyted by this incredibaly stupid new ruling, but as they say every cloud has a silver lining and this could be a great oportunity for someone who like me has no desire or need to enter London during their free time. The M25 has finally justified its existence LONG LIVE THE M25 AND MAY GOD PROTECT THE DARTFORD CROSSING:winky:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Is it just London where they are bringing this law to ? Or could it be spread to all cities ?
Also how old is old ? Does it include old classic cars etc.
Not that im wanting one , i'm just not up on the new law.
Bev

OP
OP
P

paul8ch

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
kent
Funster No
MH
minibus conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
at the moment it is anything with a gross weight of over 2750kg(I think) and the cut off point for minibus and vans is older than 2002.Hgv pre 2005 need to have a cat fitted at 5 grand to enter london without charge.Charge for a 3.5 tonne van is 100 per day (or part) and for 7.5 tonne up is 200. As if the situation wasn't bad enough thousands of small transport businesses will be going to the wall in the next few month's all in the name of "The Environment".Why doesn't Boris just admit It's just another stealth tax?.
As for other cities nothing has been announced yet but the trend seems to be whatever London does others are sure to follow.............Depressed? Well the goal posts get closer together in 2014 when lower emission limits will be introduced.:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
I have only just bought my minibus ready to convert for next year I got it cheap from a school run firm in London because they needed to be rid before Januarys LEZ introduction.I've been searching Ebay for parts and noticed hundreds of really cheap partially finished or just plain old motorhomes for sale in London. I can only asume these are going to get cheaper as the LEZ gets closer when the poor owners realise that the cost is going to be 100 quid a day to keep them there.
Obviously this is a terible situation for all the London motorhomers who have been blyted by this incredibaly stupid new ruling, but as they say every cloud has a silver lining and this could be a great oportunity for someone who like me has no desire or need to enter London during their free time. The M25 has finally justified its existence LONG LIVE THE M25 AND MAY GOD PROTECT THE DARTFORD CROSSING:winky:

Love it,
I agree, I wouldnt go down london for anything or anyone, they can keep it.

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
Give them time, in 12 months they will be complaining that visitor number are down and what can we do about it.

Nick

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Obviously this is a terible situation for all the London motorhomers who have been blyted by this incredibaly stupid new ruling, but as they say every cloud has a silver lining and this could be a great oportunity for someone who like me has no desire or need to enter London during their free time. The M25 has finally justified its existence [HI]LONG LIVE THE M25 AND MAY GOD PROTECT THE DARTFORD CROSSING[/HI]:winky:

Not too sure about this? Have a look at the LEZ map and you will see it seems to include the M25 that leads over the Queen Elizabeth Bridge and the Dartford tunnel.
This has been on a thread before but no satisfactory conclusion was reached.

Norman

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
at the moment it is anything with a gross weight of over 2750kg(I think) and the cut off point for minibus and vans is older than 2002.Hgv pre 2005 need to have a cat fitted at 5 grand to enter london without charge.Charge for a 3.5 tonne van is 100 per day (or part) and for 7.5 tonne up is 200. As if the situation wasn't bad enough thousands of small transport businesses will be going to the wall in the next few month's all in the name of "The Environment".Why doesn't Boris just admit It's just another stealth tax?.
As for other cities nothing has been announced yet but the trend seems to be whatever London does others are sure to follow.............Depressed? Well the goal posts get closer together in 2014 when lower emission limits will be introduced.:cry:

The transport industry has the remedy in its own hands.
If the industry were to impose a boycott (yes, I am advocating such action) on deliveries to and collections from the whole of the LEZ, it would force a rethink.
Without road transport London cant function.
The same could be said of the coach and bus industry.
Rough for a time on the folk who live there, but they elected Boris and his idiots after all. The same applies to King Ken before him. Under his guidance, the government allowed the creation of the London Boroughs scheme, which permitted the GLC to require fitments to goods vehicles beyond C&U requirements.
That started the rot.
Bring the capital to a standstill by depriving it of goods, fuel, tourists and services and Boris etc will have to look at his clean air but empty city in a new light.
Not just for a day, but for the duration of this tax gathering scheme.
£100 per day for a Transit van? ridiculous!
Will paying this extra tax (that's what it is) make the London air cleaner? Of course not.
The people of London also have the remedy: change things by getting these fools out of
power.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Forgot: (Rant not finished).
We are told this LEZ rubbish is about the environment and pollution.
If that were the case, NO vehicles not meeting requirements would be permitted in the zone.
The current / projected situation is such that you can bring in your pollution and polluting vehicles, and make it non ok by giving us a shedload of money!
Where's the environmental benefit?
Its about gathering cash.

Rants over.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Forgot: (Rant not finished).
We are told this LEZ rubbish is about the environment and pollution.
If that were the case, NO vehicles not meeting requirements would be permitted in the zone.
The current / projected situation is such that you can bring in your pollution and polluting vehicles, and make it non ok by giving us a shedload of money!
Where's the environmental benefit?
Its about gathering cash.
Rants over.

Not only the LEZ. It seems all "pollution elimination issues" are merely fund raising schemes. If the situation is as dire as is made out surely a complete ban would be in order.
Shop window lighting, illuminated advertising and many other useless form of power usage could be banned.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Oh No, don't start my missus off. The always points out that "someone has left the lights on" at Canary wharf again. Those plonkers do very little during the day, so they won't be doing night work, but they leave millions of lights on all over the area. Many of the lights in big cities could, and should ,be turned off between midnight and 5 am, like some motorway lights are.
If IKEA can turn off one escalator during the week to save fuel, it shows that with a little thought, many other savings could be made.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Does this mean my rather thristy 2ltr. lpg fuelled Ravenna that no one wants to buy will soon rocket in value? Especially in the London area and later elsewhere. Perhaps I ought to go and think it out again - or put the price up.

Norman

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Not too sure about this? Have a look at the LEZ map and you will see it seems to include the M25 that leads over the Queen Elizabeth Bridge and the Dartford tunnel.
This has been on a thread before but no satisfactory conclusion was reached.

Norman

Just had a look at the website and this map seems to show the crossing outside the LEZ, and also mentions that the M25 is not in the LEZ (though sections of other motorways are).

Link Removed

Steve

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
What I find hard to swallow is nearly all of this country has no say in what happens in London IE: LEZ how is this democracy?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back