advise on imports please (1 Viewer)

T

tetleys

Deleted User
hi all,
hope you all have a merry christmas and a happy new year!

i would like some advise on imported motorhomes please..............ie, iam considering looking at a 1993 fendt on a fiat ducato, and lhd.........could you please tell me if parts for the base vehicle are available here in the uk?,ie, what if i needed parts for the engine/gearbox? or body pannels etc? would i be able to get them easly being as it is an old vehicle, and not a uk spec?also are parts expensive? also could you please tell me if insurance is more because its is an import and a lhd?
also are the older type fiat ducatos reliable? (as iam concerned about fiat engineering/ build quality)?i have reasons to be cautious because i have a 03 reg car which has given me no end of problems, were the older type fiats,ie, before everything was computerised more reliable?or has the reputation always remained the same?
please help, as i really do not have a clue about them, i like the look of them but i do not want to buy myself a big unreliable head ache!!!!
i have a choice of buying a mercedes auto trail 1990 79 k miles , non turbo and non p, steering or this imported lhd 1993 fendt on fiat ducato with 51 k miles, turbo and p, steering, and nicer looking and better condition. and i have no idea which one to choose! my instinct is telling me the mercedes because of the build quality and reliablity? am i right?
please help.
thanks.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Smile: Hi tetleys. You shouldn't have any problem sourcing parts for either of the Motorhomes you are thinking of. The Fiat is reliable. I have a 1992 1.9 Fiat Dethleffs. Just done 2 trips to Spain and back. Plus some use as a car. Never missed a beat and it has over 133,000 kms on the clock. :winky:

Upvote 0

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I have a Pilote on a Peugeot Boxer and is the same as the fiat ducato, built in the same factory, using same parts. Hence I would have thought that parts are easely available.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ONE AND ALL::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tetleys

Deleted User
:Smile: Hi tetleys. You shouldn't have any problem sourcing parts for either of the Motorhomes you are thinking of. The Fiat is reliable. I have a 1992 1.9 Fiat Dethleffs. Just done 2 trips to Spain and back. Plus some use as a car. Never missed a beat and it has over 133,000 kms on the clock. :winky:

thanks for your reply...............what about insurance? does it cost more to insure a left hand drive imported vehicle? and would parts be the same as a britsh spec vehicle?
thanks.

Upvote 0

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Smile: Hi again tetleys. I have not found the insurance to be any more expensive on a left hand drive as opposed to a right hand drive. Most of the mechanical parts will be the same and the cooker, toilet etc are most definitely the same. :winky:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tetleys

Deleted User
:Smile: Hi again tetleys. I have not found the insurance to be any more expensive on a left hand drive as opposed to a right hand drive. Most of the mechanical parts will be the same and the cooker, toilet etc are most definitely the same. :winky:

thank you very much for your replies and advise, best wishes for the new year!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back