Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Another possibly obvious question, but when people are wild camping and are leaving the van for a few hours or even the day, do they just leave the fridge running on gas? I guess it's safe, but you're not there to smell a leak...... Always had the same thoughts about Cookers that have timers.....:Blush:

It just occured to me as I was thinking of a nice Spring in Alvor, Algarve right down on the beach front.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Another possibly obvious question, but when people are wild camping and are leaving the van for a few hours or even the day, do they just leave the fridge running on gas? I guess it's safe, but you're not there to smell a leak...... Always had the same thoughts about Cookers that have timers.....:Blush:

It just occured to me as I was thinking of a nice Spring in Alvor, Algarve right down on the beach front.
i leave the gas fridge and ice box running all the time never had a broblem in years :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
leave on all the time if not on hookup, on hookup it would be on 230v.

if there was a leak it wouldn't really make any difference if you were there or not, as the fridge SHOULD be sealed off from the interior of the van and the leak would be ignited by the fridge burner tube anyway.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
chunnel crossing

is it true that LPG engined MH can not go on the train ?
T'is true, but for the life of me I cant understand why.

I carry 135ltrs total of engine gas in 3 tanks and 130ltrs of domestic gas in one tank when all are full.
all tanks are under-slung and all have manual shut-off taps .... OK, I have to crawl underneath to turn off the engine gas, but I can turn it off.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
T'is true, but for the life of me I cant understand why.

I carry 135ltrs total of engine gas in 3 tanks and 130ltrs of domestic gas in one tank when all are full.
all tanks are under-slung and all have manual shut-off taps .... OK, I have to crawl underneath to turn off the engine gas, but I can turn it off.
what if you do not tell them it has LPG and just run on petrol as you embark and disembark? most MH have some form of gas LPG on board

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

YES No problem, that is how it is designed to run.:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We very rarely ever have hook up. So the fridge is on gas most of the time. Never given it a thought. Though if it was a new to us motorhome , i would of course have all the gas appliances checked out before ever using them for the first time.
Whether it was an old motorhome or a new one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back