Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Last Easter we took the MH to Northern Spain. We took the ferry each way and stayed 9 nights near Santander at the site in Noja. Total cost was £1300 or thereabouts.

Next Easter we have just booked to do the same but this time in a car and with a 2 bed apartment next to the sea. All booked via Brittany Ferries.

Total cost £1100.

Its 2 nights less but I was still shocked it was cheaper than this year.

Just goes to show that using the MH isnt always the cheapest option especially if you have limited time.

The converse was half term in Brittany last June in a lovely site by the sea for £100 for the week and using Tesco vouchers for the crossing:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Depends how long you go for and how far, plus what sites you use if any...........

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Depends how long you go for and how far, plus what sites you use if any...........

I agree but we have limited time as both of us work and the kids are in school.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I reckon on spending around £300 on fuel one way to Spain around £35 one way on a ferry. No tolls as I don't use em. No campsites as I don't need em.
Can live comfortably on £125 per week and that's having my beer, tobacco and going out for a meal 2 or 3 times per week. I wouldn't stay in an apartment if it was free. Most hotels wont have me as I make to much noise snoring.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I reckon on spending around £300 on fuel one way to Spain around £35 one way on a ferry. No tolls as I don't use em. No campsites as I don't need em.
Can live comfortably on £125 per week and that's having my beer, tobacco and going out for a meal 2 or 3 times per week. I wouldn't stay in an apartment if it was free. Most hotels wont have me as I make to much noise snoring.

Sounds great Dave I'll get me coat:imoutahere::sin::Cool:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I agree but we have limited time as both of us work and the kids are in school.

This is the reason why we have our main holiday abroad , flying there , and hiring a car to see the place if we feel like it.
We do use the motorhome for week long breaks in Britain though , travelling around visiting where ever. We have had some great breaks with the kids and dogs. Taking the kayaks , bikes , ski's dependent on the time of the year.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
This is the reason why we have our main holiday abroad , flying there , and hiring a car to see the place if we feel like it.
We do use the motorhome for week long breaks in Britain though , travelling around visiting where ever. We have had some great breaks with the kids and dogs. Taking the kayaks , bikes , ski's dependent on the time of the year.

That is the sort of thing you can't put a price on!
If you like your outdoor activities, a MH holiday wins hands down. How else are you going to transport a canoe, 2 mountainbikes, walking gear, a barbie and 2 big dogs? Hiring equipment in a resort for a week could nearly pay for a new bit of kit in some cases!
Plus you can move with your mood!
We have been to more than one foreign destination on a package holiday where we have wished we had the motorhome so we could just move on!
However, as previously mentioned, motorhoming isn't really a cheap option, just a more flexible one!:Smile:

MR2

Free Member
Jul 10, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5+years
Cost of Motorhomong

We visited France 4 times last year duration from 5 days to 18days and toured Normandy and Brittany using aires. We found some beautiful places to stay and explore from the coast to the banks of the Seine. Courtesy of Tesco & the Eurotunnel, the cost of crossing was £2 in total! We live in Lincoln and even travelling to Folkstone the cost of our trips compares favourably with travel in Uk and staying on campsites. Have booked our next trip in April and yes Tesco vouchers used:roflmto:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Those Tesco vouchers once saved us £650 on a ferry to Bilbao!
We have never paid for a ferry or tunnel crossing!::bigsmile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The big thing for me about the motorhome vs hotel holidays is that you know what the accommodation is going to be like when you get there....

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
The big thing for me about the motorhome vs hotel holidays is that you know what the accommodation is going to be like when you get there....

Yes how you left it...................................:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
For us its not always the cost, it is the way we want to relax, a way of life. In our RV we do what we want when we want, other than the ferry there are no deadlines to meet , no timetable, no regimented mealtime, just chill out. :drink::Cool:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For us having a motorhome is the only option, we always take the dogs with us on holiday - one is a rescue dog who was in kennels for 6 months so putting her into kennels again is a no-no, plus she's clingy, and so is our little one too - so having a motorhome for holidays is the only way we can get away.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
For us having a motorhome is the only option, we always take the dogs with us on holiday - one is a rescue dog who was in kennels for 6 months so putting her into kennels again is a no-no, plus she's clingy, and so is our little one too - so having a motorhome for holidays is the only way we can get away.

Our eldest dog Ruby (13) has been kenneled when we have been abroad each year in the past. She's always been fine with it.
But since we got Buster (3) Ralphs mum has come to stay at our house for the duration.
Even when we go off on the mini cruise P&O ferry breaks.
Shes brilliant with them. They get more fuss and attention from her , than us :ROFLMAO:
We take them everywhere with us when in Britain though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back