RWD Transit ECU Upgrade anyone? (1 Viewer)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi All

Every since we bought our Transit MH new, we have been a bit unhappy with it's low rev performance when pulling away.
I have been told by a commercial user of RWD vans that theirs had an ECU update to alleviate the problem of stalling at low revs.
Has anyone out there actually had their RWD upgraded successfully? Basically, the update automatically increases engine's speed slightly when you start to lift the clutch. I had a look on the 'dark side' and there are accounts there of 2.2 FWD models being updated, but nothing about RWD.
Incidentally, all new models seem to have this anti-stall feature fitted as standard!
Our local dealer, as you'd expect had no knowledge of updates on anything!

Any info would be much appreciated so I can force the b*****ards to do something before the warranty expires!:winky:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Don't know about any upgrades, but something appears to have been done to the later 2.2FWD as our latest one with the six speed box has a definite improvement in its pull away, and I find it harder to stall.

We had 2.2FWD with the 5 speed box and our latest one runs a lot better and am much happier with this van.

Hope this is of some help.

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
The best place to ask for advice anything Transit is the Transit van club, click on the forum http://transitvanclub.co.uk/ be warned you will develope paranoia about the things that go wrong with the Transit take a look its a good site with some very knowledgeable chaps, a few are Ford Transit technicians hope this helps Gray.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, the latest upgrade to the ecu software does give a little 'blip' of revs as you release the clutch in 1st gear. I've had our 2008 rwd done foc and it does help. Don't know if there were any other aspects changed in this revision but we do have a better mpg.:Smile:

I would have thought any reputable main Ford dealer would do this for you, regards Richard

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, the latest upgrade to the ecu software does give a little 'blip' of revs as you release the clutch in 1st gear. I've had our 2008 rwd done foc and it does help. Don't know if there were any other aspects changed in this revision but we do have a better mpg.:Smile:

I would have thought any reputable main Ford dealer would do this for you, regards Richard

We are trying to get out local Ford dealer just to acknowledge the update actually exists!
I will call them again tomorrow! It's good to hear from others who have had the work done.
I might have to start being dramatic and start voicing safety concerns!!!!
Don't get me wrong, the van drives well when you are rolling, but it can be hard to pull away in a dignified manner, especially on sites when you don't want to disturb the peace by giving it lots of revs to get rolling!

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
So it is - but my link went straight to the forum........so na nanana naaaaa

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Mine went to the home page for all the other interesting bits and it makes you work at it not just handed to you on a plate so there :moon:

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for the links guys.
I have been with a little 'ammunition', by way of the printed out threads, to the local dealership.
The van is booked in now for 7th December!
Will give you all an update when they have finished with it!::bigsmile:

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Well done keep on them hope all goes well by the way Ford customer care are a bunch of _an_ers trust me i know i had a problem with my Transit that lasted for about eight months if i had not had a good working relationship with my local dealer i would have had to pay over 2k good luck Gray.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
UPDATE!
The Tranny has been in, got an update and is now sorted!::bigsmile:

The revs now kick up as you lift the clutch, it reacts quicker than you can, thus stopping the stalling.
It is so much better to drive, I can't really emphasize enough how much better it is now!

I will monitor fuel consumption because others have told me they have had better mpg after their update...............

Thanks to all who shared info on this one!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back